S&S 465G cam upgrade issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:31 PM
wolinee
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S&S 465G cam upgrade issues

Hi Guys,
my bike is Breakout 107 with Blow performance exhaust,mini tear drop filter from S&S and FP3 tuner.
I have install 465 cam with gear drive/new tappets /stock pushrods and here is mi issue run on autotune for nearly 3 fuel tanks and engine is great lots of torque and power
but when is under load its fine as soon i let go of throttle and bike slow down its beginning snatching,need to work with clutch a lot and constantly changing gears
i dint experience anything like that before ...any ideas?

The following users liked this post:
Johnny C (05-22-2022)
Old 09-02-2020, 10:01 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,924 Likes on 1,015 Posts

I think that's a great looking exhaust. If you like the sound and are going to keep it you will need a more capable tuner. I would find a shop that knows how to tune with TTS Mastertune. Call TTS for a recommendation.

You should be OK with the S&S 465 cam, however, you may need a cam with less valve overlap if it refuses to tune well. That short open exhaust is a challenge to tune.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hulkss:
24v (09-03-2020), wolinee (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 11:44 AM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 318 Likes on 189 Posts

I have no idea that the hell snatching is? Does that mean decel pop? But i agree the exhaust and tuner are prob the main culprits. That exhaust was built for sound and looks....and your trying to get performance out of it with a tuner that has limited ability.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:05 PM
ss3964spd
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I believe his use of "snatching" is what we would probably refer to as "bucking" during low RPM deceleration. Very common with longer duration cams, and exacerbated by manual transmissions, only 2 cylinders, and a relatively light flywheel effect.

I'd be surprised if it can be tuned out completely.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:11 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 318 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ss3964spd
I believe his use of "snatching" is what we would probably refer to as "bucking" during low RPM deceleration. Very common with longer duration cams, and exacerbated by manual transmissions, only 2 cylinders, and a relatively light flywheel effect.

I'd be surprised if it can be tuned out completely.
Like the bike is jumping, i mean mine will engine brake if i don't rev match. Either way i think that is the correct assessment. 2-2 supposedly don't tune out that well to begin with, chop em down to chopper sized exhaust and good luck. Not to mention the fact that the M8 likes more back pressure and longer exhaust. They tune out different than the previous TC and evo engines to begin with.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:04 PM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 283 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by wolinee
Hi Guys,
my bike is Breakout 107 with Blow performance exhaust,mini tear drop filter from S&S and FP3 tuner.
I have install 465 cam with gear drive/new tappets /stock pushrods and here is mi issue run on autotune for nearly 3 fuel tanks and engine is great lots of torque and power
but when is under load its fine as soon i let go of throttle and bike slow down its beginning snatching,need to work with clutch a lot and constantly changing gears
That pipe not easy to tune as stated, S&S 465 cam works fine, Boz @ V-twin Rye cam probably help, see below he liked it

Old 09-04-2020, 03:22 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Hi Guys,
To adjust for the new cam with that exhaust and tuner just change gears sooner when slowing down. You want to keep the RPM's up a bit to overcome the hole in your torque curve. I think this is normal for the combination you chose.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:20 AM
irish44
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm running the 465c in my deluxe. There is a noticeable dip around 1600 1800 rpm. Have the bike tuned on a dyno. The FP3 isn't going to cut it. I'm running big shots for a exhaust.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:59 PM
Johnny C
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #metoo

Hi Guys,
man my **** does the same thing. If i had know it would suck out the *** I would’ve saved the 2200 dollars and went a different route. Like run this fkr in a lake and go buy a cvo stage 4

Old 05-22-2022, 07:14 PM
jpfxlrs
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure its not sitting in Autotune otherwise the engine and exhaust will be fighting each other.... May not be relevant but I watched an interesting explanation on tuning just yesterday and thought I'd pass it on...

Quick Reply: S&S 465G cam upgrade issues