2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Swing arm bags. What have you got?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 01:54 AM
Tomo 87
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Swing arm bags. What have you got?

Looking for a swing arm bag that allows me to leave the rucksack at home. I know the storage capacity of them is limited, but if it can store my wallet, shades and maybe lunch and a camera, I’d be able to leave my rucksack home for most day rides.

in the future, I may be going down the full luggage route, but with a kid at home, me and the missus normally only get 2 days away from home at most, so a rack bag tends to be all we need. So having a swing arm bag makes up for the loss of underwear storage I was used to on my old SV.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,904 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Viking makes some good Swingarm bags.

https://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycl...g-arm-bags.htm

Old 06-03-2020, 03:32 AM
Mart
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 293 Posts

I wanted leather and ended up with the HD one. It's held up very well and aging nicely. Enough room for my waterproofs.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:23 AM
Stormin70
Tourer
Received 275 Likes on 173 Posts

I have the HD bag as well. I think it’s great. Holds enough of my “daily” stuff: sunglasses, clear glasses, balaclava, gloves, ear buds, iPhone mount, small water bottle and a few other things. A camera might be a tall order tho if it’s an SLR.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:10 AM
Tomo 87
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

As nice as the H-D one looks, I’m not sure it’s worth the £230 price tag... I like the Viking bags, but can’t seem to get them in the Uk

Old 06-03-2020, 06:24 AM
j14woods
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomo 87
As nice as the H-D one looks, I’m not sure it’s worth the £230 price tag... I like the Viking bags, but can’t seem to get them in the Uk
I have the HD one as it came on my Slim when I bought it and it’s a pretty good size and well made. I’d be careful with the Viking Bags, there are a few posts about people placing orders, being charged and then stuff not being in stock.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:48 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Wink

I use the Harley swing arm bag. Not cheap, but well made.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...bag/p/90201567

P/N 90201567

Old 06-03-2020, 04:27 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Boss bags, talk to them first see if their swingarm bags holes line up with these newer M8 frames . I'm considering their leather saddlebags, quick release and well made. Lil pricey tho

Old 06-03-2020, 05:37 PM
Richris1
Intermediate
Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Using the HD bag on my 2020 Fat Bob. Fit is nice and used it on the highway at 70mph with no flapping , wobbling, etc...very well made. Worth the $$ IMO, but I’ve not had it for a long amount of time on the road, or inclement weather.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:16 PM
SJC69
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I have recently just fitted both the ‘older’ & newer style H-D bags, in lieu of having the saddle bags fitted.
(As we can’t go anywhere !!)

Don’t be fooled by the picture, the newer style bag is bigger.

New & Old style Softail bags

I always mount the bags as high as possible on the swing arm to clear the axel nut and also do not tend to use the bottom strap as I prefer a solid mount, so the bag can’t slide down the arm or actually fall off or flap about if the straps come loose and has the benefit that it cannot be easily removed without some tools.

I basically use the belt guard mounts with threaded connectors, punch the rear of the bag with a gasket punch and mount using button heads and large thick penny washers (repair washers) on both side for some rigid support, then use the top straps or sometimes replace these with cable ties to hold the bag tight to the swingarm.

Trial mount

Clear the axel cap

Fit the couplings and spacers for a solid mount

Mark and punch the rear of the bag for the bolts and use large penny washers both sides

The earlier bag is not supposed to fit the M8, with the new bag having extra holes so it will fit the pre-M8, however after making a Template and trial & error the old bag will fit, but if you do want to use the bottom strap you will need to make extra holes for them as they are not in the correct position.
The earlier bag being a more triangular shape has less ground clearance, around just under an inch less, but mounted high so far no problem or grounding.

Repeat the process for the earlier type bag

Mount as high as possible

Check the ground clearance, plenty there.

Be warned the frame protector strips supplied with the new bags are exactly the same as the ones for the older bag so are not exactly the right shape for the M8 and will need altering to get a good fit!

I have used the H-D bags on several bikes, they tend to be expensive, but do fit well and all so far have worn and lasted well.

Last edited by SJC69; 06-04-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Correction
The following 3 users liked this post by SJC69:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (08-18-2021), Mart (06-04-2020), RENARELLO (06-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Swing arm bags. What have you got?