2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Heritage Mod/Accessory Mini-Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 07:08 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulkss
I swapped the handlebars to H-D Fat Mini-Apes in the kit with a 4 inch riser. These 1 1/4" bars are WAY heavier and stiffer than stock. The stock bars looked fragile & skinny on the bike. The wrist angle is perfect for me with the bars mounted at the same angle as the front forks (I'm 6' 3"). I installed them with the parts referenced here: Handlebar Installation Requirements I needed a brake line, clutch cable, brake line fitting, and some cable extensions. They installed easily and I did not remove any electrical connectors. Just blow a string through the bars, tape it to the wires, and pull 'em through.

Disconnect the battery before you start and don't power up until you have bled the brakes if you have ABS.

I get very little vibration in the hand grips with these bars and the stock riser bushings. They don't flop around either. I like the black riser clamp, the stock chrome one reflected the sun into my eyes.

Like WOW! Been up since 4am and have now for hrs been reading this amazing thread (backwards of course) and VERY GOOD STUFF! Have been clicking on many of the links included but this one here doesn't work anymore. I have a set of 10" mini apes I plan to use with the factory 4 inch pull back risers but have yet to get all else needed. Definitely want to do away with the plastic spring loaded cable adjuster crap.
Don't know how much more I have to go thru but GREAT info!
Ride Safe✌

Old 11-13-2021, 07:17 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Since 1968
I'm following this one Hulkss, most of what you do is all about riding, and I've got the same bike. Lots of good ideas for me to daydream about!
"BUT" he may cause someone to go broke and or get a divorce😳😂🤦‍♂️

Old 12-18-2021, 08:40 AM
Rusty Bucket
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll be posting series of mini-reviews about stuff I've done to my bike. I'll try to be concise. Feel free to comment or ask any questions.
My bike is kind of a sleeper, looks pretty much stock but it's not. A fun and enjoyable to ride bike that is the best I've owned.

Very nice - I agree that the "newer" Heritage is about as good as you can get for this size bike. I have owned two and currently have a 2019, 114. The wheels you have pop out and are yelling at me to drop the cash and go with them. I ride approximately 16,000 miles a year and just waiting on my first flat tire in the middle of wherever I do not want one. To date, I have not experienced a flat on a trip but my luck could be wearing thin. Tubeless is now on my list. Perhaps Santa will heed my call?

Old 03-21-2022, 04:38 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,260 Posts
Default 21 Degree clutch ramps

Just finished my first ride with the 21 degree clutch release ramps. Much better for the Rekluse clutch pack. I was able to move in my adjustable lever some, so I don't notice any increase in effort. I measured about .085" of release travel with the new ramps.

I had installed the Baker ramps and throw-out bearing when I put in the Baker 7 speed transmission. They have 18 degree ramps which was not enough in my case. They are intended for heavy-duty clutches with fewer plates and heavy springs.
Just did my first ride with the new 21 degree ramps in my 2020 Low Rider S, I also have the Rekluse clutch pack. Smoother shifting, easy to find neutral now and was able to move my Rick's clutch lever in one notch. I'm still using the Harley Formula+ primary lube, very happy.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:03 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Here I have a question. When I did Stage 2 upgrade at Fuel Moto I was told clutch is one place where it is better option to use mineral (non synthetic oil) due to slippage that FM team discovered on dyno sheets. This makes perfect sense to me but I am wondering what is forum opinion on this matter.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:59 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,924 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
Here I have a question. When I did Stage 2 upgrade at Fuel Moto I was told clutch is one place where it is better option to use mineral (non synthetic oil) due to slippage that FM team discovered on dyno sheets. This makes perfect sense to me but I am wondering what is forum opinion on this matter.
Synthetic oil works great in the primary but it should be synthetic oil made specifically for use with a wet clutch (not synthetic engine oil). You can get it from number of lubricant suppliers including Amsoil.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:26 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Synthetic oil works great in the primary but it should be synthetic oil made specifically for use with a wet clutch (not synthetic engine oil). You can get it from number of lubricant suppliers including Amsoil.
I actually use Amsoil and I let FM team know and they said imeven is specifically design for clutch they still suggested non synthetic

Old 03-22-2022, 12:07 AM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,924 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
I actually use Amsoil and I let FM team know and they said imeven is specifically design for clutch they still suggested non synthetic
Should be Amsoil Primary Fluid not Amsoil Harley Engine oil. This stuff is great for clutch performance.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:07 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member

Should be Amsoil Primary Fluid not Amsoil Harley Engine oil. This stuff is great for clutch performance.

yup thats what I use only