2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Blown Fork Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 06:26 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,074 Likes on 3,097 Posts

Might have stained the exhaust shields if it baked on.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Mart
Road Master
Received 419 Likes on 292 Posts

Autosol or similar will fix that.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:49 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,073 Likes on 2,242 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Might have stained the exhaust shields if it baked on.
I gave the bike a good washing and drying. As far as I can tell, I'm not seeing any staining or damage to anything. I'll definitely go over the bike again before taking it to the dealer.

I noticed that the part numbers for the oil seal (46514-01A) and the dust seal (46512-01A) have an "A" designation. So, that means they have been modified, upgraded or there was a vendor change, right?

Old 04-26-2020, 06:18 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,717 Likes on 1,999 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I gave the bike a good washing and drying. As far as I can tell, I'm not seeing any staining or damage to anything. I'll definitely go over the bike again before taking it to the dealer.

I noticed that the part numbers for the oil seal (46514-01A) and the dust seal (46512-01A) have an "A" designation. So, that means they have been modified, upgraded or there was a vendor change, right?
Yes, that's right

Old 04-26-2020, 07:39 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
At least you found your problem quickly. When I blew a fork seal the oil showed up all over the motor, making me think I had a leak in the cam cover. It took me days, several cleanings and dumb luck to trace it back to the right fork.
Was that on your 2019? If so, how long after you bought it did this happen?

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Yes, that's right
So, I'm looking in the service manual and on Ronnie's Parts Finder and I see the parts are exactly the same as my '14 Limited, which I've rebuilt the forks twice using the rebuild kit. So, now, rather than have the ham-fisted dealer mechanics make the repairs, I'm thinking about doing it myself, even though it's under warranty.

One of the things in the service manual that caught my attention and made me go, "Hmm", is this:

I know having that amount of oil all over my bike isn't normal, but I'm wondering, since it appears the seals don't actually completely seal, was this leaking a one-time occurrence. I haven't ridden the bike since, but I'm tempted to ride it and see if oil leaks out or not. What do you think?

Old 04-26-2020, 08:13 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
What do you think?
A thin film of oil on the fork tube is normal. If it is enough to form a drop and run or blow off it is not OK.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 08:22 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hulkss
A thin film of oil on the fork tube is normal. If it is enough to form a drop and run or blow off it is not OK.
If that's the case, I'm probably just going to go ahead and order a couple of rebuild kits from New Castle and rebuild both forks myself. They're showing to have 5 in stock.

The following users liked this post:
Mart (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 07:46 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,744 Likes on 4,727 Posts

You paid money for the warranty, let the dealer fix it.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:55 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
You paid money for the warranty, let the dealer fix it.
I bought my '14 Ultra Limited used in April 2015. I had it shipped from Florida to Texas. It had 384 miles on it. I took it to the dealer for the 1K service. I asked them to look at the jiffy stand because of the severe angle of the bike when it was on the jiffy stand. I was convinced it had been damaged/bent during transport from Florida to Texas. The service writer told me there was nothing wrong with it. As it turns out, it was damaged/bent. I replaced it.

The next time I took it to this dealer for the 5K service, there were scratches on parts of the bike that weren't there before. Also, the clutch reservoir started leaking fluid, which damaged the reservoir paint. Since then, I've done all maintenance and repairs myself. It has 51,576 miles on it and it has been trouble free.

I brought my '20 Heritage Classic 114 to them for the 1K service only because the first service was "free". I waited while the service was being performed. I would occasionally walk by the window to the service department shop to watch the technician work on my bike. I witnessed the technician using a rubber mallet on the wrench he was using to tighten the rear wheel axle nut. At the time, I didn't say anything to the service manager, but I did call him afterwards to tell him about what I saw. He denied it and claimed none of his technicians would do such a thing.

Since then, I had an annoying vibration in my handlebars and mirrors. The vibration was so bad that I rarely rode it because it wasn't a pleasurable ride. I intended to take it back, but because of my prior experiences with them, I didn't have a good feeling that they would take care of the problem. So, I took care of it myself by adjusting the belt to the proper tension. It was extremely too tight. The vibration was eliminated and, up until the fork seal blew, it was a pleasure to ride.

These are the reasons why it will be a cold day in hell before they touch any of my bikes again, warranty or not.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:12 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Do as mentioned above, Clean it up, tighten up, Ride it again, What could it hurt.
They will fix under warranty....

Quick Reply: Blown Fork Seal?