2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018+ Softails Adaptive Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 09:08 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

I took the plunge and bought the new adaptive headlight. Installation was a snap. The light is well worth the money if you ride in the dark semi-regularly or more. The low beam performs better than the stock headlight and have a very wide spread. The adaptive lights work really well. The high beam, though, is out of this world (possibly literally...have to check with the International Space Station). Best headlight I've had an any bike, and better than most cars/trucks I've had.

New light on top...old light on bottom...

Low beams under low exposure time...

High beams under low exposure time...

Low beams...

High beams...

If you zoom in on the High Beams image, you'll notice a couple things:
- You can clearly see the side of my neighbor's house which is about 1/8th mile away
- You can see the yellow sign at the end of my road (looks like its in the middle of the road) a little over 1/4 mile away. (Here's a clearer image of the sign)

Road signs are lighting up over 1/2 mile away easily. I may have to pull my sun visor down when running the high beams.

Last edited by HuntWhenever; 03-04-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:17 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Nice. Looks great. I love mine (J.W. Adaptive 2’s, but pretty much the same, just w/o the illuminated ring)

I hope you didn’t pay the original $850. Looks like they just want on sale for $594! If you did, you should be able to get the difference back.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:24 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mchad
Nice. Looks great. I love mine (J.W. Adaptive 2’s, but pretty much the same, just w/o the illuminated ring)

I hope you didn’t pay the original $850. Looks like they just want on sale for $594! If you did, you should be able to get the difference back.
The one that is on sale is not the modified version to fit the 2018+ Softails unfortunately. I got the newer version (has an "A" at the end of the model number).

If you look at my original post on this thread, the two model numbers was what I was trying to get more info on before purchasing.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:29 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
The one that is on sale is not the modified version to fit the 2018+ Softails unfortunately. I got the newer version (has an "A" at the end of the model number).

If you look at my original post on this thread, the two model numbers was what I was trying to get more info on before purchasing.
$850 then I guess. Ouch!

Old 03-04-2020, 09:31 PM
tanerck
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

In where I live, this adaptive headlight costs me USD1700.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by tanerck
In where I live, this adaptive headlight costs me USD1700.
Sorry to hear that.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:11 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

$850 then I guess. Ouch!
The price sucks, but it was nice having a direct bolt-on fitment.

And it says "Harley-Davidson" in the middle. That's worth something, right?

Old 03-05-2020, 12:03 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,944 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
I took the plunge and bought the new adaptive headlight. Installation was a snap. The light is well worth the money if you ride in the dark semi-regularly or more. The low beam performs better than the stock headlight and have a very wide spread. The adaptive lights work really well. The high beam, though, is out of this world (possibly literally...have to check with the International Space Station). Best headlight I've had an any bike, and better than most cars/trucks I've had.

New light on top...old light on bottom...

Low beams under low exposure time...

High beams under low exposure time...

Low beams...

High beams...

If you zoom in on the High Beams image, you'll notice a couple things:
- You can clearly see the side of my neighbor's house which is about 1/8th mile away
- You can see the yellow sign at the end of my road (looks like its in the middle of the road) a little over 1/4 mile away. (Here's a clearer image of the sign)

Road signs are lighting up over 1/2 mile away easily. I may have to pull my sun visor down when running the high beams.
Good to know. I was hoping to see the little adapting lights come on. Any idea if you could get a photo of that(Safely ofc)?

Old 03-05-2020, 05:13 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Good to know. I was hoping to see the little adapting lights come on. Any idea if you could get a photo of that(Safely ofc)?
No way to take a picture of the cornering lights. If I lean the bike while stationary, they are only on momentarily.

On my test ride, I took a few turns tight enough to touch down a floorboard. There was still plenty of light up the road. I also took a set of S curves pretty quick and late apex, purposely flicking the bike side to side hard. There is an ever so slightly delay in the light switching directions...maybe half a second at the most. I'm sure the controls have some debounce timers to prevent flickering. But ideally, its not a good idea to ride that hard at night anyway. I only did so for testing.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:16 PM
tanerck
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

IMHO, the adaptive thingy is not very apparent. Compared to the "cornering/adaptive" lights from cars. On cars, can see the lights swivel. But on the adaptive headlight, few LEDs on the edge will light up, I can see it but not very convincing.... Cos it's already bright enough on the primary LEDs.

Still it looks cool....

Quick Reply: 2018+ Softails Adaptive Headlights