2018+ Softail Models Breakout

V&H FP3 vs SE Pro Street Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 11:14 AM
Rendezvous
Cruiser
Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts
Default V&H FP3 vs SE Pro Street Tuner

After I had a stage 2 SE Torque Cam done on my 2019 Heritage 114 with Rineharts 3.5 slip-ons anf K&N High Flow filter and tuned by at the dealer using the SE Pro Street Tuner, my bike run and sounded like s__t. It’s engine was running hot, sluggish and had terrible deceleration pop. In fact, the sweet throaty sound of the Rineharts when it was still in Stage 1 was replaced with a ear irritating high pitch cracking sound that drove me nuts especially when wearing a full-face helmet. I opted to follow the dealer’s “recommended tuner” to avoid warranty issues. But the discontent I experienced forced me to replace the SE tuner with the Fp3.

i emailed V&H Customer Support with the modifications I made with my bike. The V&H technician made a map which I then downloaded and flashed to my bike. I did this fully aware of the consequences with regards to my bike’s warranty.

The performance with the Fp3 vs the SE is like night and day. Now I can feel the added torque of the Stsge 2 cam, the engine now runs cool and the Rineharts sound way much better. My only regret is that I paid almost $300 for a piece of junk that is the SE Pro Street Tuner.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rendezvous:
Sideburn (02-25-2020), Superdog3:16 (02-28-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 11:25 AM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,921 Likes on 1,014 Posts

The FP3 has evolved to be a good product. Your experience, however, was probably more of a bad tune by the dealer than anything else. My Heritage 114 with the same cam tuned by my dealer is the best running bike I've ever had. Can you post the dynamometer results from your dealer tune?

Old 02-25-2020, 05:28 PM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

My stage 2 sounds and runs great with the se tuner, and that’s with the default map.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:17 PM
Rendezvous
Cruiser

Good for both of you that the SE tuner worked for you. Just for the record, are you using an open type exhausts like what I use? I believe this an issue because the SE tuner forces the user’s emission to be within the bounds of what is legal.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:36 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Rendezvous
Good for both of you that the SE tuner worked for you. Just for the record, are you using an open type exhausts like what I use? I believe this an issue because the SE tuner forces the user’s emission to be within the bounds of what is legal.
I'm running S&S slip-on mufflers.

In any case, let's just look at the facts. Please post the AFR table V&H sent you in the tuning calibration file. I'll make a comparison to the one in my Street Tuner. An easy way is a screen grab with your phone. If the table is too big just grab as many screens as you need. From the FP3 Manual:

Last edited by Hulkss; 02-25-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:55 PM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

I run s&s as well, with the baffles in. It’s a straight through exhaust though.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:18 PM
Rendezvous
Cruiser

I’ll have to check first if V&H allows its users to share data from the Fp3.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:57 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Rendezvous
I’ll have to check first if V&H allows its users to share data from the Fp3.
Basic tuning calibration files are freely available online from Power Vision (Dynojet), TTS Mastertune, Thundermax, and Harley Davidson.

I downloaded the FP3 app and in demo mode I was able to download a map for a 2019 Heritage with Rinehart slip-ons, high flow air cleaner, and the SE torque cam. Here's the top corner of the AFR table.
It would be best to compare to the table they sent you, I would expect it has the same values.

Last edited by Hulkss; 02-26-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Rendezvous
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hulkss
Basic tuning calibration files are freely available online from Power Vision (Dynojet), TTS Mastertune, Thundermax, and Harley Davidson.

I downloaded the FP3 app and in demo mode I was able to download a map for a 2019 Heritage with Rinehart slip-ons, high flow air cleaner, and the SE torque cam. Here's the top corner of the AFR table.
It would be best to compare to the table they sent you, I would expect it has the same values.

I am out of town for the moment. However, V&H advised me to choose the V&H Twin Slash 3 slip-ons over the Rinehart 3.0 for my current Rinehart 3.5 slip-on exhaust. Most probably, you can also search the AFR table of the setting I am using like you did with the above and compare it to the AFR Table from your SE Tuner. Kindly share with us your findings and impressions.

Btw, the Harley dealer who did my Stage 2 set-up never shared to me the AFR results of his setting.

Last edited by Rendezvous; 02-26-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:05 AM
user 7298720
Banned
Received 186 Likes on 95 Posts

I know it's too late now, but you could've just tried the SE Street Pro canned tune and few autotune sessions before going FP3 and voiding your warranty. I'm about to go with Stage II, so don't have 1st hand experience yet, but my Stage 1 with Rineharts and SE autotune sessions made the bike ride better than stock or the canned tune.

Quick Reply: V&H FP3 vs SE Pro Street Tuner