2018+ Softail Models Breakout

V&H FP3 vs SE Pro Street Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 06:10 PM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rendezvous
The HD Smart Pro Is different from the HD Pro Street tuner, right? That probably accounts for the fact that it satisfies you but the SE-PST was horrible for me.
You can only get the sepst, the pro tuner is an add on that “auto tunes” your bike with a wide band o2 sensor. The sepst works great if you want to stick with se parts.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:13 PM
Rendezvous
Cruiser
Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is the AFR map of my 2019 Heritage 114, SE Stage 2 Torque cam, Rinehart 3.5” slip-ons, K&N High Flow filter element Suggested setting by V&H Customer Service Technician SE8-447, V&H Twin Slash slip-on 3” No Baffle 114 Cl

Old 02-28-2020, 08:31 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,921 Likes on 1,014 Posts

The HD Smart Pro Is different from the HD Pro Street tuner, right? That probably accounts for the fact that it satisfies you but the SE-PST was horrible for me.
Yes, it is an add-on to the Street Tuner. It is possible that it makes an improvement in how my bike runs, however, a proper tune with the basic tuner should be fine too.

If you want an improvement in tuning your own bike, there is an accessory kit for the FP3 that lets you road tune with wideband sensors (then put the stock sensors back in place). You need threaded adapters for the exhaust to convert between the 12mm and 18mm sensors. The pro kit does not "marry" to the bike so you can possibly share the cost with a few riding friends. FuelPak Pro

Last edited by Hulkss; 02-28-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:42 PM
Rendezvous
Cruiser
Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

In my initial post, I narrated how disappointed I was with the SE-SPT on my Heritage 114 with SE Torque cam, Rinehart 3.5 slip-ons and K&N High Flow filter element. But for those who swear that the SE-SPT works well for them, good for you. However, my experience with the Fp3 is so positive that it never even crossed my mind to do further refinements still available in the software of the Fp3 except turning-off the speed limiter. Power and torque are squarely in the rpm range I am frequently in, throttle response is crisp, decel pop almost inexistent, Rineharts sound deep and throaty and engine runs superbly. Perhaps, the limitation of the SE-SPT on my set-up was its being programmed to produce legal emission output. With my use of the Rineharts 3.5 slip-ons, I am clearly ready to breach this standard and the Fp3 was the more appropriate tuner in my case.

Recently, I rode with buddies on adventure bikes, mostly BMW GSs. When we hit the twisties, I was able to keep pace with them and still feel comfortable. When we reach our destination, all of them marvel how, according to them, an HD was able to keep pace with them. I can dig what they’re saying since I rode BMW Adventure bikes for the longest time and left HDs in the dust on twisties all of the time.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:20 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,214 Likes on 599 Posts

It’s not the exhaust. I have a Rinehart header with 4.5” khromewerks cans, it runs great with the SEPST.
Im not saying the fp3 isn’t good or better or whatever, but it ain’t your pipes.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:31 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

If I was gonna throw the warranty in the trash, I'd be getting the DynoJet PowerVision over the FP3. DynoJet has far more data to access and maps to work with and If you buy it from FuelMoto Fuelmoto loves to help out.
400$ from FM, plus they include the base map you need for free, and they double the warranty period themselves, ect.
Really can't go wrong with a better tool, better support for the same price, and not having to use your phone is a plus.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:19 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,921 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
If I was gonna throw the warranty in the trash, I'd be getting the DynoJet PowerVision over the FP3. DynoJet has far more data to access and maps to work with and If you buy it from FuelMoto Fuelmoto loves to help out.
400$ from FM, plus they include the base map you need for free, and they double the warranty period themselves, ect.
Really can't go wrong with a better tool, better support for the same price, and not having to use your phone is a plus.
I don't have an FP3, but I like the wireless phone interface, I ride with my phone as a GPS and tire pressure monitor already. The user friendly software is a plus too. Below is the list of editable tuning tables you can access with the FP3, all the needed ones seem to be there. I counted 29 camshafts in the demo software list for a stage II 114.

Primary Throttle Blade Control
Secondary Throttle Blade Control
Switchover Gear
Throttle Limit vs Gear
Front Cylinder VE
Rear Cylinder VE
Front Charge Dilution Effect
Rear Charge Dilution Effect
Air Fuel Ratio
Acceleration Enrichment
Deceleration Enleanment
Closed Loop Range
Closed Loop Min Activation Temp
MAP Load Normalization
Intake Valve Opening
Intake Valve Closing
Adaptive Control Min Temp
Front Cylinder Spark Advance
Rear Cylinder Spark Advance
Spark Adjust by Engine Temp
Spark Adjust by Air Temp
Spark Adjust by Head Temp
Adaptive Knock Retard
Max Knock Retard
Knock Control Min Activation Temp
Knock Control Deactivation Temp
Idle Spark Control Gain
Idle Spark Control Max
Front Closed Throttle Spark
Rear Closed Throttle Spark
Closed Throttle Max TPS
PE Air Fuel Ratio
PE Spark
PE Disable RPM
PE Enable RPM
PE Disable TPS
PE Enable TPS
IAC Crank Steps vs Temp
IAC Crank Steps to Run
IAC Warmup
Idle RPM
Injector Size
Engine Displacement
Rev Limit
Gear Ratios

The following users liked this post:
Rendezvous (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 01:07 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 332 Likes on 236 Posts

Well it might require some luck to expect the SE-PST to have the adjust-ability to work well with a modified stage Sportster or even a modified stage M8 Touring bike. At least without the addition of the SE wideband tuner. In fact adding the SE wideband tuner via looking at my Air to Fuel ratio graph should improve it below 3,000 & above 6,000, Regardless if Rorin is upgrading his 114 softail in fact Sport Glide same as mine with the S&S Superstreet we know the tuner, exhaust, and even the 64mm TB and aluminum intake (to get rid of the somewhat problamatic plastic intake) work for his goal of improved performance and sound over the stage 3 & SE slip on without voiding the warranty.

Last edited by VernDiesel; 02-29-2020 at 01:24 PM.