2018+ Softail Models Breakout

V&H FP3 vs SE Pro Street Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 06:26 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,921 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Rorin67
So you're starting to get at what I've been wondering about for some time. Hypothetically speaking (of course!), if you installed one of V&H's full exhaust systems, can the SE-PST provide a "canned/locked" tune that is similar to a tune in the V&H-FP3 by selecting a canned/locked tune in the SE-PST that is different/higher-flowing than the actual components on your bike (e.g., by picking a bigger engine displacement than your actual engine)?

If so, this theoretically should allow you to run a full aftermarket higher-flowing (and better sounding) exhaust system with a good tune while still maintaining your full HD warranty because you're using a tune from the SE-PST (albeit not one for your actual bike's components) and not an aftermarket tuner, correct?

Or am I thinking in fantasy land?
Technically, you guys are discussing combinations of parts and tunes that may not be considered CARB compliant. If not, the warranty comes into question.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:28 AM
Rendezvous
Cruiser
Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is the AFR map of my 2019 Heritage 114, SE Stage 2 Torque cam, Rinehart 3.5” slip-ons, K&N High Flow filter element Suggested setting by V&H Customer Service Technician SE8-447, V&H Twin Slash slip-on 3” No Baffle 114 Cl

The following users liked this post:
SoCaRider (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:58 AM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Rendezvous
Here is the AFR map of my 2019 Heritage 114, SE Stage 2 Torque cam, Rinehart 3.5” slip-ons, K&N High Flow filter element Suggested setting by V&H Customer Service Technician SE8-447, V&H Twin Slash slip-on 3” No Baffle 114 Cl
Let's see the right half too. Looks very similar to the map I found with the demo software.

In all of the cells that are not yellow, the engine runs open loop (no O2 feedback). It is critical that the volumetric efficiency (VE) tables be correct in those cells. That could be where your tune from V&H is better. In the yellow cells the ECM can apply corrective fuel trims.

H-D claims that their Smart Tune Pro Auto Tuning Module with wide band O2 sensors can apply fuel trims to the entire map. That is what I am using.

Last edited by Hulkss; 02-28-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:16 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,471 Likes on 1,352 Posts

So you're starting to get at what I've been wondering about for some time. Hypothetically speaking (of course!), if you installed one of V&H's full exhaust systems, can the SE-PST provide a "canned/locked" tune that is similar to a tune in the V&H-FP3 by selecting a canned/locked tune in the SE-PST that is different/higher-flowing than the actual components on your bike (e.g., by picking a bigger engine displacement than your actual engine)?

If so, this theoretically should allow you to run a full aftermarket higher-flowing (and better sounding) exhaust system with a good tune while still maintaining your full HD warranty because you're using a tune from the SE-PST (albeit not one for your actual bike's components) and not an aftermarket tuner, correct?

Or am I thinking in fantasy land?
If you put on any part that's labeled "not for use on pollution-controlled vehicles", then you've already voided the warranty regardless of what tuner you use. Read the warranty, it says that Harley has no obligation to warranty a bike that's not legal to operate on the streets.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Rorin67
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
If you put on any part that's labeled "not for use on pollution-controlled vehicles", then you've already voided the warranty regardless of what tuner you use. Read the warranty, it says that Harley has no obligation to warranty a bike that's not legal to operate on the streets.
Thanks. There goes my great idea...

Old 02-28-2020, 01:54 PM
Sideburn
Tourer
Received 146 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks. There goes my great idea...
As if it wasn’t obvious anyway and said millions of times...how’d you miss it?

The following users liked this post:
Rorin67 (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 04:49 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 332 Likes on 236 Posts

Rorin, "So you're starting to get at what I've been wondering about for some time. Hypothetically speaking (of course!), if you installed one of V&H's full exhaust systems, can the SE-PST provide a "canned/locked" tune that is similar to a tune in the V&H-FP3 by selecting a canned/locked tune in the SE-PST that is different/higher-flowing than the actual components on your bike (e.g., by picking a bigger engine displacement than your actual engine)?

If so, this theoretically should allow you to run a full aftermarket higher-flowing (and better sounding) exhaust system with a good tune while still maintaining your full HD warranty because you're using a tune from the SE-PST (albeit not one for your actual bike's components) and not an aftermarket tuner, correct?"

Yes that is correct. Thats what I did only not with V&H because they don't have a compliant CARB approved exhaust.

When I did mine (12/19) they said the only H-D EPA CARB compliant full aftermarket exhaust for the M8 softails was the S&S Superstreet. It must flow because the only difference between a regular stage 3 kit and mine is the exhaust & TB and it made an extra 8 HP and lost no torque over what H-D shows in the 2020 SE parts catalog chart with the same stage 3 kit plus H-Ds SE pipe. Shown in chrome but also available in black. If you look below my duno graph above you can also see the Air/Fuel graph.

https://www.sscycle.com/products/sup...oftail-models/

So Sideburn's post is wrong. your idea is correct and has been done only with a CARB compliant part.

Last edited by VernDiesel; 02-28-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:18 PM
Rorin67
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

I think you are both correct. It sounds like:
1 - we can trick the SE-PST into a good tune for an aftermarket full exhaust system by using tuning parameters that are different than the bike's actual components (making VernDiesel correct); and
2 - if we did so using a non-CARB compliant full aftermarket exhaust, then HD would void our warranty for running illegal parts on the bike (making Sideburn correct).

It's a Win-Win! Or is it a Win-Lose? Or is it a...? My head hurts...

Old 02-28-2020, 05:43 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team

I think you are both correct. It sounds like:
1 - we can trick the SE-PST into a good tune for an aftermarket full exhaust system by using tuning parameters that are different than the bike's actual components (making VernDiesel correct); and
2 - if we did so using a non-CARB compliant full aftermarket exhaust, then HD would void our warranty for running illegal parts on the bike (making Sideburn correct).

It's a Win-Win! Or is it a Win-Lose? Or is it a...? My head hurts...
My guess is that Vern is lucky. Vern had a 114 kit installed. There happens to be a nearly identical kit at 117 cu in. The dealer gave it a try to offset the larger throttle body on Vern's bike. You get lucky sometimes.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:02 PM
Rendezvous
Cruiser
Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulkss
H-D claims that their Smart Tune Pro Auto Tuning Module with wide band O2 sensors can apply fuel trims to the entire map. That is what I am using.
The HD Smart Pro Is different from the HD Pro Street tuner, right? That probably accounts for the fact that it satisfies you but the SE-PST was horrible for me.

Quick Reply: V&H FP3 vs SE Pro Street Tuner