2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Deluxe and Heritage models-Fishtail exhaust options/considerations

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 PM
JCDLXSEIA
Cruiser
Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Deluxe and Heritage models-Fishtail exhaust options/considerations

From what I have found, there are three different manufacturers for a true dual fishtail exhaust system.
Those would be Samson, Bassani and Freedom.
For you guys that have switched, what made you pick one brand over the other? And do you have any regrets or wish you would have went with something completely different.
NOTE: I am already running a Stage II with a Bassani 2-1, but really prefer the looks of the fishtails.
Thanks in advance.
Spoiler

Old 02-18-2020, 09:25 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I run a Freedom Performance. I wanted a true dual, not necessarily a fishtail. With normal endcaps, they do not go beyond my bags, about 2" short, But with the fishtails, they just extend past it. They are very loud. If I had to do it over, would have installed quiet baffles from the start. As is, I have the baffles on a shelf waiting for a reason to take of the mufflers to try and bang out the baffles or just order a slide hammer. Freedom doesnt make it easy to remove.

I got Freedom cause they were second hand, about 40% less than retail.

One person on FB forums has Bassani but hers has light rust.

Last edited by DonN; 02-18-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:58 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I have the Vance & Hines True Duals with Fishtails on a Deluxe. Some like the look and some don’t. I have had them on for going on 10 years and have no complaints.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:20 PM
Chaser967
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JCDLXSEIA
From what I have found, there are three different manufacturers for a true dual fishtail exhaust system.
Those would be Samson, Bassani and Freedom.
For you guys that have switched, what made you pick one brand over the other? And do you have any regrets or wish you would have went with something completely different.
NOTE: I am already running a Stage II with a Bassani 2-1, but really prefer the looks of the fishtails.
Thanks in advance.
Spoiler

I have the Bassani's. Reason I got these over anything else was the pipe on the right side is a straight pipe, whereas the same pipe on the Freedoms (from memory) has a bend in it where the other pipe transfers to the left side under the frame. To me, this was an ugly look.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chaser967:
18deluxerider (08-26-2020), not_so_newb (02-22-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:18 PM
DonN
Road Warrior

Not sure how true or not, but one issue with having the front pipe that is straight is less back pressure than the rear which has all the bends. At least by passing the front underneath, it creates similar number of bends as the rear so that the flow is more or less the same in both cylinders and the pipes are equal lengths. I believe on the touring bikes with crossovers, all the exhaust pretty much goes to the right side as it has fewer bends and the left is a ghost pipe. Prob only a dyno can tell the difference.

Last edited by DonN; 02-19-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:46 PM
1scruffynerfherder
Advanced
Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
Not sure how true or not, but one issue with having the front pipe that is straight is less back pressure than the rear which has all the bends. At least by passing the front underneath, it creates similar number of bends as the rear so that the flow is more or less the same in both cylinders and the pipes are equal lengths. I believe on the touring bikes with crossovers, all the exhaust pretty much goes to the right side as it has fewer bends and the left is a ghost pipe. Prob only a dyno can tell the difference.
I asked about this when looking for mine and apparently it's not an issue (from Samson anyway). I asked if the torque cones were necessary, apparently not but are an option if you remove the baffles.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:51 PM
1scruffynerfherder
Advanced
Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

I liked the look of the straight pipe as well so I went Samson. They don't sit as wide as the Bassani I think when viewed from the back. I went 36" and I'm pretty happy about that, haven't ridden the bike yet so can't really comment much on performance or sound under load.
I think the length is spot on but I also have a Shotgun shock so I can lift and lower the bike as needed to avoid scraping the tips going in and out of driveways etc

The following 2 users liked this post by 1scruffynerfherder:
18deluxerider (08-26-2020), bmedeiros678 (08-12-2024)
Old 02-20-2020, 05:24 AM
18deluxerider
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I own the same model but blue. I have v&h slip on's now. I am going to go with the true duel. I love the look sweet ride. What are you doing for your tune? I have a tts tuner tuned stage one. with comp baffles not sure how much the change will be but when I data log it before and after I will then see the difference. I may post up some info on the information. Keep up posted love your bikes fella's

Old 02-20-2020, 08:19 AM
gtt
Intermediate
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1scruffynerfherder
I liked the look of the straight pipe as well so I went Samson. They don't sit as wide as the Bassani I think when viewed from the back. I went 36" and I'm pretty happy about that, haven't ridden the bike yet so can't really comment much on performance or sound under load.
I think the length is spot on but I also have a Shotgun shock so I can lift and lower the bike as needed to avoid scraping the tips going in and out of driveways etc

How do the mounts on the Samsons look? The only thing I don't love about the Bassani pipes is the big matte black mount, which is pretty visible, especially against the gloss black frame. Any chance of a close up of the mount (and the pipes from the rear)?

Old 02-20-2020, 05:22 PM
DonN
Road Warrior

Post some pics from the rear. These are Freedoms. They sit out pretty wide, but ok with my bag set up.

Quick Reply: Deluxe and Heritage models-Fishtail exhaust options/considerations