2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Deluxe and Heritage models-Fishtail exhaust options/considerations

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 11:42 PM
Reverend DG
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
I have ordered the quiet baffes for my Freedom Performance. Waiting on after my break in to install them. Also agree that you will lose performance if you already have a stage 2 with 2-1 pipes. I had a noticeable decrease, but after I installed my 128", all is good.
Yeah, a 128 would probably take care of that!!

Old 03-02-2020, 09:12 AM
gtt
Intermediate
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1scruffynerfherder
I don't think the mounts are that bad. The large block is part of the pipe and as such is chrome.

No, those look great - having most of the on-pipe mount in chrome vs black makes a difference, and I like how close they sit to the bike. Looks like the Samsons are my next upgrade...

The following users liked this post:
JCDLXSEIA (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 11:37 AM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,922 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend DG
Having said all that, the scuttle but that I've picked up from techs is that going to a true dual system will cost you some power, unless you add the SE auto tuner with wide-band O2 sensors. Apparently, the SE street tuner and stock narrrow-band sensors just can't make enough adjustment to tune the bike properly with a true dual system, so that is my next mod, in a couple of months. We'll see what difference it makes. It better be good because the part alone is over $500 here...
I am using the Smart Tune Pro wideband module and it works great as far as I can tell. I've read and been told by tech's that it does have more authority to trim the VE tables. I'd like to see an aftermarket tuner that can work with it. That would be the best combination for on-the-road tuning.

H-D claims the bike runs in closed-loop over the entire operating range with the wide band sensors. This can only be true for steady-state conditions as the O2 sensors are too slow for rapid changes in throttle and rpm. When the engine goes open-loop it is essential to have accurate VE tables for the best performance.

Despite H-D calling it an auto tuner, you still have to ride the bike, record data, then tune the VE tables and the Spark tables too if you are getting indications from the knock sensors.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:39 AM
menonkprasad
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
Not sure how true or not, but one issue with having the front pipe that is straight is less back pressure than the rear which has all the bends. At least by passing the front underneath, it creates similar number of bends as the rear so that the flow is more or less the same in both cylinders and the pipes are equal lengths. I believe on the touring bikes with crossovers, all the exhaust pretty much goes to the right side as it has fewer bends and the left is a ghost pipe. Prob only a dyno can tell the difference.
Hi DonN,
I recently upgraded my Softail Heritage with a Bassani True Dual Exhaust System with Fishtail Mufflers. After installing the Bassani, the bike is not picking above 3k RPM and there is a power lag as well. I changed the plugs, fuel pump and the injectors but the problem remains the same. I think this could be due the point you have mentioned here, the right side straight pipe without bends resulting in less back pressure and left side pipe with few bends having a relatively higher back pressure,. Do you think I need to fix a fuel pack and do a re mapping !!

Old 02-20-2021, 09:31 AM
18deluxerider
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

menonkprasad- you should not have changed the exhaust with out a remapped tune. the exhaust can not be changed as head pipe with out a performance tuner. you need to have the bike dyno tuned and use a tts tuner it will provide the best air fuel ratio. google tts tuner for m8

You will burn the valves out of your engine due to running too lean. you will need to install a high flow air cleaner as well. i recommend the Harley Davidson heavy breather.

Last edited by 18deluxerider; 02-20-2021 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2021, 03:07 PM
JCDLXSEIA
Cruiser
Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts
Default finally put on true duals

It only took me a bit over a year, but I finally went with the Bassani True Duals, 33" fishtails with baffles. The Bassani fit well and the quality is good IMHO.
I am glad I went with the baffles.. She is not too loud at idle or at speed, but crack the throttle and it's a whole other story Brother! Look out! Blue Angel (finally named her after three years), had a wee bit of a stumble just off idle or when you rolled on the throttle. I have only run one Autotune session and that stumble is now gone. Blue Angel pulls away quite nicely, off the line or on down the line. Here are a couple shots of Blue Angel, beautiful to the bone, just like her namesake.

Lawrence Dolha (03-11-2022)
Old 04-07-2024, 01:20 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Hoping to revive this old thread and get an answer from you Don N... How long are your Freedoms? 33 , 36? Im trying to decide which I need, 33 or 36 to clear standard new Hogworkz bags on my 2020 Deluxe. I dont want them to extend far out from the bags but they also need to fit with clearence. Thanks

bkb5 (04-08-2024)