2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Deluxe and Heritage models-Fishtail exhaust options/considerations

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Chaser967
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 1scruffynerfherder
I liked the look of the straight pipe as well so I went Samson. They don't sit as wide as the Bassani I think when viewed from the back. I went 36" and I'm pretty happy about that, haven't ridden the bike yet so can't really comment much on performance or sound under load.
I think the length is spot on but I also have a Shotgun shock so I can lift and lower the bike as needed to avoid scraping the tips going in and out of driveways etc

The Bassani's definitely don't sit wide at all....as per mine below. One of the othe brands (and I can't remember which ones sit VERY wide.

The following users liked this post:
18deluxerider (02-23-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 07:59 PM
JCDLXSEIA
Cruiser
Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies and ideas. When I upgraded to Stage II last year, I wasn't too worried about the overall looks of the Bassani 2-1. Even though the 2-1 does look disproportionate without the bags on, my intent was to get the little 107 to run like a striped *** ape, Mission accomplished. If/when I go to true duals, I believe that with the Power Vision tuner and an updated map from Fuel Moto, I will come relatively close to the current performance.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:43 PM
1scruffynerfherder
Advanced
Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gtt
How do the mounts on the Samsons look? The only thing I don't love about the Bassani pipes is the big matte black mount, which is pretty visible, especially against the gloss black frame. Any chance of a close up of the mount (and the pipes from the rear)?
I don't think the mounts are that bad. The large block is part of the pipe and as such is chrome.

18deluxerider (02-23-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 11:44 PM
1scruffynerfherder
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chaser967
The Bassani's definitely don't sit wide at all....as per mine below. One of the othe brands (and I can't remember which ones sit VERY wide.

Yeah those look great mate, maybe it's the Freedom's that sit wide.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:48 PM
1scruffynerfherder
Advanced

Originally Posted by 18deluxerider
I own the same model but blue. I have v&h slip on's now. I am going to go with the true duel. I love the look sweet ride. What are you doing for your tune? I have a tts tuner tuned stage one. with comp baffles not sure how much the change will be but when I data log it before and after I will then see the difference. I may post up some info on the information. Keep up posted love your bikes fella's
All details in here mate.
Build Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 09:04 AM
NAPRA
Road Captain

Received 817 Likes on 288 Posts

I like my Bassani's.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:29 PM
Reverend DG
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with Freedom Performance because I wanted black, I wanted them to end even with my rear fender, and they were supposed to have quiet baffles available. After they were ordered and shipped, I was called to say that the quiet baffles were a mistake on the website and that no quiet baffles were available. I was also told not to worry about because they wouldn't be too loud. Well, not true, they are LOUD. Like neighbour hater loud. I didn't even want to ride the bike after they were installed. Also, I have the the Stage II Torque cam, and it felt like I lost some power with these pipes. So I worked with a local small custom shop who were willing to take the time the measure everything, and order a couple sets of generic baffles and wrap and cut and weld them together and finally go the sound I was looking for. They're still loud, but I'm hopefully not going to get a ticket, as so many of my friends have. And I think that with the increased back pressure of the new baffles, I've regained some of my lost torque, according to my sphincter dyno.

Having said all that, the scuttle but that I've picked up from techs is that going to a true dual system will cost you some power, unless you add the SE auto tuner with wide-band O2 sensors. Apparently, the SE street tuner and stock narrrow-band sensors just can't make enough adjustment to tune the bike properly with a true dual system, so that is my next mod, in a couple of months. We'll see what difference it makes. It better be good because the part alone is over $500 here...

I think the bike ran better with just the Vance and Hines slip-ons I had originally, but the best set-up for power is a two into one system. But I like the look of the dual fishtails, so...

Old 02-22-2020, 09:03 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

I don't have fishtails but I think the reason the front pipe without the bend would probably have just as much "back pressure" as you call it as the rear with the bends is because it's longer. At least it appears to be. The longer the pipe, even wide open drag pipes, the further to the left the torque curve is.
I'd like to see some dynos with these because I don't believe they'd be all that bad performance wise because of their length.
I don't much care for the look of the front pipe crossing under

Last edited by 60Gunner; 02-22-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:55 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend DG
I went with Freedom Performance because I wanted black, I wanted them to end even with my rear fender, and they were supposed to have quiet baffles available. After they were ordered and shipped, I was called to say that the quiet baffles were a mistake on the website and that no quiet baffles were available. I was also told not to worry about because they wouldn't be too loud. Well, not true, they are LOUD. Like neighbour hater loud. I didn't even want to ride the bike after they were installed. Also, I have the the Stage II Torque cam, and it felt like I lost some power with these pipes. So I worked with a local small custom shop who were willing to take the time the measure everything, and order a couple sets of generic baffles and wrap and cut and weld them together and finally go the sound I was looking for. They're still loud, but I'm hopefully not going to get a ticket, as so many of my friends have. And I think that with the increased back pressure of the new baffles, I've regained some of my lost torque, according to my sphincter dyno.

Having said all that, the scuttle but that I've picked up from techs is that going to a true dual system will cost you some power, unless you add the SE auto tuner with wide-band O2 sensors. Apparently, the SE street tuner and stock narrrow-band sensors just can't make enough adjustment to tune the bike properly with a true dual system, so that is my next mod, in a couple of months. We'll see what difference it makes. It better be good because the part alone is over $500 here...

I think the bike ran better with just the Vance and Hines slip-ons I had originally, but the best set-up for power is a two into one system. But I like the look of the dual fishtails, so...

I have ordered the quiet baffes for my Freedom Performance. Waiting on after my break in to install them. Also agree that you will lose performance if you already have a stage 2 with 2-1 pipes. I had a noticeable decrease, but after I installed my 128", all is good.

Last edited by DonN; 02-23-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Reverend DG (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:26 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

BTW, someone is selling their Freedom Performance in the classifieds if anyone is interested,

Quick Reply: Deluxe and Heritage models-Fishtail exhaust options/considerations