2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything Softail Slim thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024, 06:57 AM
jaysnafu
Club Member
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Based on the sheer volume of this thread, I would guess about 8 people own a Slim. LOL.

Old 09-05-2024, 07:11 AM
LaRSin
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I love my slim.. Great bike ..

Old 09-05-2024, 12:05 PM
tunafisher729
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysnafu
Based on the sheer volume of this thread, I would guess about 8 people own a Slim. LOL.
owner 3 of 8 checking in!

The following users liked this post:
jaysnafu (09-07-2024)
Old 09-06-2024, 07:03 AM
Harman
Cruiser
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

From last week in Palisades NY at a Bikes and Breakfast.
Just shy of 58K miles and still going strong.

tunafisher729 (09-11-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 06:19 AM
MrAlexMan
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question

Hi all! I'm new here, registered today. I'm still not the owner of a HD but am in a search for one. What I'm searching for is the bike for the shorter rides and maybe some longer ones, let's say about 100-200 miles a day. I'm Europe based and Softail Slim caught my eye. I have a few newbie questions regarding seat for the wife as a passenger. Of course, I like one seat style of the Softail Slim and my question is can this style of rear end, suspension and fender(1st photo) be good for this kind of seat (2nd photo)? I don't understand when bike is lowered that much like on the 1st picture, how much that affects the suspension and feel of the ride for myself and esspecialy the passenger? I'm here to learn and I hope that you guys can help me with that. Thank you!

1st photo

2nd photo

Old 09-07-2024, 08:50 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by MrAlexMan
Hi all! I'm new here, registered today. I'm still not the owner of a HD but am in a search for one. What I'm searching for is the bike for the shorter rides and maybe some longer ones, let's say about 100-200 miles a day. I'm Europe based and Softail Slim caught my eye. I have a few newbie questions regarding seat for the wife as a passenger. Of course, I like one seat style of the Softail Slim and my question is can this style of rear end, suspension and fender(1st photo) be good for this kind of seat (2nd photo)? I don't understand when bike is lowered that much like on the 1st picture, how much that affects the suspension and feel of the ride for myself and esspecialy the passenger? I'm here to learn and I hope that you guys can help me with that. Thank you!

....snip...
No. The second picture is of an older TwinCam Slim. The first picture shows a modified M8 Slim where the
rear struts have been removed and the fender appears to move with the swingarm. Look at previous pictures
of M8 Slims in this thread and you will see several with stock rear struts which means that the rear fender
will be fixed and not move with the swingarm. That is the type of Slim you want if you want to be able
to switch out seats for a solo rider or for a two-up style seat.

I hope the above description of the swing-arm/fender association was clear....

good luck,

T.

MrAlexMan (09-13-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 10:01 AM
jaysnafu
Club Member
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Just purchased my second Slim. A 2021 with 5k miles. Should have it in the garage in the next week or so… ordered klockwerk fenders for front and rear.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaysnafu:
tunafisher729 (09-11-2024), WXSW (09-14-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 12:40 PM
WXSW
Club Member
Received 395 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by LaRSin
I love my slim.. Great bike ..

LaRSIN, sweet looking bike. Is that a Saddlemen Explorer seat? Looks good from the side in this photo. What do you think of it? If that’s an Explorer seat, would you mind posting a photo of the bike from the rear? I am interested in trying an Explorer seat as Saddelmen touts it as a touring seat. But when I look at the dimensions of the seat I am wondering if it’s going to look too wide on a Slim.
I currently have a LePerra Bare Bones seat on my 2020 Slim, and while it looks great and is more comfortable than the stock seat, it get’s uncomfortable after a couple of hours in the saddle. I am toying with the idea of using my Slim rather than my Evo Road King for my next long ride. The major incentive is that am getting 48-50 MPG highway on the Slim as opposed to 30-33 MPH on my RK with a Mikuni carb. My Slim already has a windshield and a sissy bar, so by adding a sissy bar rack and perhaps some bags, the Slim might work okay as a multi-day road bike. But I would not want to do it on the Le Pera Bare Bones!
Btw, the trip will be to your neck of the woods, to Hamilton, Ont., to see family and friends up there, and if all goes well perhaps continuing up to Quebec or east to the Maritmes. I am in Southern California and would want to go up the coast to B.C. and then proceed east to Ont. I was planing on going this fall but with all of the fires I may wait for the spring to go.
Anyway, any pics and thoughts on the Explorer seat on your Slim you could share will be appreciated.
Cheers!

Old 09-14-2024, 04:16 PM
LaRSin
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by WXSW
LaRSIN, sweet looking bike. Is that a Saddlemen Explorer seat? Looks good from the side in this photo. What do you think of it? If that’s an Explorer seat, would you mind posting a photo of the bike from the rear? I am interested in trying an Explorer seat as Saddelmen touts it as a touring seat. But when I look at the dimensions of the seat I am wondering if it’s going to look too wide on a Slim.
I currently have a LePerra Bare Bones seat on my 2020 Slim, and while it looks great and is more comfortable than the stock seat, it get’s uncomfortable after a couple of hours in the saddle. I am toying with the idea of using my Slim rather than my Evo Road King for my next long ride. The major incentive is that am getting 48-50 MPG highway on the Slim as opposed to 30-33 MPH on my RK with a Mikuni carb. My Slim already has a windshield and a sissy bar, so by adding a sissy bar rack and perhaps some bags, the Slim might work okay as a multi-day road bike. But I would not want to do it on the Le Pera Bare Bones!
Btw, the trip will be to your neck of the woods, to Hamilton, Ont., to see family and friends up there, and if all goes well perhaps continuing up to Quebec or east to the Maritmes. I am in Southern California and would want to go up the coast to B.C. and then proceed east to Ont. I was planing on going this fall but with all of the fires I may wait for the spring to go.
Anyway, any pics and thoughts on the Explorer seat on your Slim you could share will be appreciated.
Cheers!
Yes it's a explorer seat and is comfortable , I don't think it's as comfortable as the mustang seat I had on a V-Star years ago

Last edited by LaRSin; 09-14-2024 at 04:58 PM.
WXSW (09-14-2024)