2018+ Softail Models Breakout

30th Anniversary Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 04:24 AM
Q-Ball82
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Q-Ball82
Im 36 years young with 2019 114 FatBoy,love the chrome!
37 with a 19 114 FatBoy,also love the chrome 👍

Old 02-29-2020, 04:57 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Great looking Fatboy....Very Sharp

Old 02-29-2020, 08:24 AM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,649 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomo 87
not envy as such... just a genuine curiosity as to what the appeal is over the standard?

I've got a 115th and love her to bits. I also love the standard too. I understand the appeal of black trim over chrome (I’m actually doing this to my bike) but to say “I hate the original” but love the 30th is a little odd to me. It’s just a colour scheme right?
Yes, it is just a color scheme change. I agree that it would have been nice to add some mechanical differences. I would have liked to have the RDRS system and cruise control. But I think the color scheme really sets this bike apart.

R,
Sanjuro

The following users liked this post:
royston (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 02:20 PM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

not envy as such... just a genuine curiosity as to what the appeal is over the standard?

I've got a 115th and love her to bits. I also love the standard too. I understand the appeal of black trim over chrome (I’m actually doing this to my bike) but to say “I hate the original” but love the 30th is a little odd to me. It’s just a colour scheme right?
not really buddy, if that was the case a vivid black standard would be the same, but its not.
TBF to HD they di something to this bike, you couldn’t buy the blacked out and coloured parts alone for the uplift in cost over a vivid black model.
Each to his own tho...ride safe

Old 03-01-2020, 02:18 AM
Tomo 87
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by royston
not really buddy, if that was the case a vivid black standard would be the same, but its not.
TBF to HD they di something to this bike, you couldn’t buy the blacked out and coloured parts alone for the uplift in cost over a vivid black model.
Each to his own tho...ride safe
I have to disagree... blacking our the chrome parts on the flfb can be achieved for a relatively low cost (unless you’re actually buying blacked out new parts rather than re colouring existing)...

but again, I’m not saying the new bikes isn’t a good looking machine. Just curious how some folks can completely “hate” the original but “love” the 30th? There are no body changes, no mechanical alterations... just colour... I’m just genuinely curious as to why people can’t see past that.

royston (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 02:41 AM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I have to disagree... blacking our the chrome parts on the flfb can be achieved for a relatively low cost (unless you’re actually buying blacked out new parts rather than re colouring existing)...

but again, I’m not saying the new bikes isn’t a good looking machine. Just curious how some folks can completely “hate” the original but “love” the 30th? There are no body changes, no mechanical alterations... just colour... I’m just genuinely curious as to why people can’t see past that.
LOL, I think hate is a Strong word, I like the look of all the FBs, but then I like like bikes anyhow. As for blacking out a complete bike and then getting the accented colours too for around £2k - I need to know your supplier.....

I dot think its just colour though as someone above suggested its the “package”, it just looks kind of different to any of the others, even the blacked out standards.

I bought a new FB just lat November (never a lover of the satin chrome), had a dilemma to swap out Crome or black , along came one of these that kind of made a decision for me.....
Cheers

Old 03-01-2020, 04:26 AM
Tomo 87
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I have to say I like it a lot. What is funny I hate the way the regular 2018+ Fat Boy looks
This is the post I was originally referring too... like I said, how can one “hate” the original but like the anniversary...

Ifyou own one, then more power to you! You’ve got the bike you wanted and you’re willing to pay for it. I did the same with my 115th. But you’re not the person I’m questioning, it’s those that seem to have done a full U turn on their opinion of the bike due to the 30th colour scheme...

Old 03-01-2020, 07:03 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I've had three Fatboys and loved all three. One was flat silver with blacked out parts and the other two were both denim black. That color matches the Fatboy persona perfectly in my opinion.

But I "strongly disliked" the way the new M8 models looked, starting in 2018, and that is mainly because of the wheels. I think they're hideous.That's one reason I went with the Heritage when I got a new bike this time.

Looks are a big deal with Harleys, more than any other motorcycle. That's why we sit in the garage and ogle them. They exploit the nostalgia look and that's a good thing. This new anniversary model nailed it. To me, it comes very, very close to capturing the pure essence of the FB.

If they had added that bronze touch to the wheels, that would have been the coup de gras.

Last edited by tmac00333; 03-01-2020 at 07:07 AM.
royston (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,656 Likes on 6,672 Posts

This is the post I was originally referring too... like I said, how can one “hate” the original but like the anniversary...

Ifyou own one, then more power to you! You’ve got the bike you wanted and you’re willing to pay for it. I did the same with my 115th. But you’re not the person I’m questioning, it’s those that seem to have done a full U turn on their opinion of the bike due to the 30th colour scheme...

I think I was pretty clear on why I don’t like the standard but like the anniversary.

To condense it down, the Black makes the things I don’t like less noticeable.

Liking or not not liking the way something looks has nothing to do with anything mechanical.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:29 AM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,649 Likes on 763 Posts

Look at is this way. Let’s say the bike only came in bright pink. All of it bright pink. With fluorescent green polka dots. I believe I would hate the way the bike looked. I’d never buy it. Now it has the 30th Anniversary color scheme. Love it. Bought it.

R,
Sanjuro

Tomo 87 (03-01-2020)

Quick Reply: 30th Anniversary Fatboy