2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Easy 19" front wheel for FXFBS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020 | 05:20 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Agreed. Looks very good! Thanks for the report!

The following users liked this post:
FLS103 (01-05-2020)
Old 01-12-2020 | 01:47 PM
Rorin67
Cruiser

The 130/180 combo is a tried and true combination for sport/sporty bikes. This is what HD puts on the Sport Glide (albeit the front is 18" not 19").

The following 2 users liked this post by Rorin67:
FLS103 (01-13-2020), HuntWhenever (01-12-2020)
Old 01-14-2020 | 04:15 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Yeah I am going to have to follow suite and copy you here with this wheel swap. It just looks too good and is too simple not to. I'm on the hunt for a 19" front touring wheel now!

maurino17 (02-20-2024)
Old 01-15-2020 | 07:14 AM
FLS103
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
Yeah I am going to have to follow suite and copy you here with this wheel swap. It just looks too good and is too simple not to. I'm on the hunt for a 19" front touring wheel now!
The handling is soooo much better, you won't regret it.

Old 02-16-2020 | 09:50 AM
FLS103
|
Road Warrior

Continuing...the more I looked at the wide stock fender and 130mm the less I liked it so I purchased a Low Rider S front fender. Of course the LRS has a taller front tire so there is a gap. Looking at a taller tire instead of dropping the fender. My indy loves Metzler tires and I have had good luck with them. Needed a back tire anyway and wouldn't mind a bit more ground clearance so I am going with a taller front. At the advice of my Indy we ordered Metzler Cruisetech tires, stock rear size and 110/90-19 front. Of course this will add a bit to the trail but I feel the quicker lean in and slight addition to ground clearance will be a benefit. Will post more pics when tires are installed.

Old 02-16-2020 | 10:34 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

That's funny I thought the same thing after I installed my 19" front wheel as well. The fender looked good from the side but straight on it looked like a kid wearing his dad's hat.

Well that doesn't matter anymore because I went back to my stock front wheel. The 19" wheel I bought was either out of round from the factory or was slightly bent. It made my bars shake like crazy from about 45 mph up. I took it in to be balanced and they couldn't get it to balance very easily. The machine kept wanting more weight in different spots.

I asked the seller if he ever had issues with it shaking or getting it balanced and he said no but I suspect this wheel was only removed the one time when he took it off his bike and wasn't messed with again. Made me wonder if it was replaced due to the imperfection of the wheel causing issues.

I took the wheel back and mounted it on the axle and left the calipers off so the wheel could spin freely. I then noticed a considerable amount of movement in the wheel while it was spinning. I suspect this is why it was shaking and couldn't be balanced.

I sent the wheel back to the seller and am waiting for my refund. I think I'll just stick to the stock front wheel for now. It was probably just the luck, or bad luck I should say, of the draw. Oh well I guess.

Video quality taken from my phone is not very good but you can still see the movement in the wheel if you look just above the bead of the wheel. It looks like there's a hump in the wheel. It's most noticable at the beginning of the video.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 02-16-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2020 | 10:46 AM
FLS103
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
That's funny I thought the same thing after I installed my 19" front wheel as well. The fender looked good from the side but straight on it looked like a kid wearing his dad's hat.

Well that doesn't matter anymore because I went back to my stock front wheel. The 19" wheel I bought was either out of round from the factory or was slightly bent. It made my bars shake like crazy from about 45 mph up. I took it in to be balanced and they couldn't get it to balance very easily. The machine kept wanting more weight in different spots.

I asked the seller if he ever had issues with it shaking or getting it balanced and he said no but I suspect this wheel was only removed the one time when he took it off his bike and wasn't messed with again. Made me wonder if it was replaced due to the imperfection of the wheel causing issues.

I took the wheel back and mounted it on the axle and left the calipers off so the wheel could spin freely. I then noticed a considerable amount of movement in the wheel while it was spinning. I suspect this is why it was shaking and couldn't be balanced.

I sent the wheel back to the seller and am waiting for my refund. I think I'll just stick to the stock front wheel for now. It was probably just the luck, or bad luck I should say, of the draw. Oh well I guess.
It sure does suck to get a bum part!! On my endless search for a CVO Convertible rear fender for my old FLS I purchased two warped (wrecked) fenders that were not useable. Sorry your project didn't work out, the guy probably knew it was bad. I lucked into mine as a brand new take off because the guy had the dealer install a fat front tire set up from native bagger before taking delivery.

Old 02-16-2020 | 11:06 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLS103
It sure does suck to get a bum part!! On my endless search for a CVO Convertible rear fender for my old FLS I purchased two warped (wrecked) fenders that were not useable. Sorry your project didn't work out, the guy probably knew it was bad. I lucked into mine as a brand new take off because the guy had the dealer install a fat front tire set up from native bagger before taking delivery.
I don't want to say that he knew and was purposely trying to sell a jacked up wheel, but I really don't see how he wouldn't have had the same issue with this wheel on his bike. It was not just a slight shake that could be balanced out. It was pretty bad in the bars while riding. Even after attempting to balance it.

He says it ran perfectly on his bike but I am highly skeptical about that. Nonetheless it was not a good wheel that's for sure. I figure if I attempt this again, I will just get a brand new Prodigy or Fugitive instead of a used takeoff. That way if anything is wrong with it, it's on HD to make right and I don't have to deal with the "it was perfect on my bike" hassle.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 02-16-2020 at 11:08 AM.
FLS103 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-17-2020 | 09:07 AM
dasanto2
Advanced

Was the FLXRS a direct fit for the Fat Bob? Does the front fender come integrated with the fork mounts?

I have been thinking about doing this myself but wasn't sure bout the fitment. What does that run brand new from the factory?

Old 02-17-2020 | 11:50 AM
FLS103
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dasanto2
Was the FLXRS a direct fit for the Fat Bob? Does the front fender come integrated with the fork mounts?

I have been thinking about doing this myself but wasn't sure bout the fitment. What does that run brand new from the factory?
The Low Rider S fender was a direct bolt on and came ready to mount. I paid $197 to my door for the new vivid black fender from Suredyke.

maurino17 (02-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Easy 19" front wheel for FXFBS