2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Russell Day Long seat on a 2018 Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 09:20 PM
Rendezvous
Cruiser
Received 215 Likes on 81 Posts

If the RDL looks odd on a HD Heritage Softail, it even looked worse in my ‘04 and ‘08 BMW GS Adventure. But if your bottomline is comfort, looks can be sacrificed.

RDL on my 1150 GS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by Rendezvous; 10-25-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:02 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

So I've had a few more rides on the seat. After the first ride or two I thought I was starting to notice an issue. The left side felt more present than the right (the right side of the seat seems very transparent - I don't notice it at all, which is a good thing). It's hard to describe, but thoughts/questions that ran through my head as I rode... Is the left wing more pronounced/angled up more than the right? Is the seat slightly un-level side to side (left side up more that the right)? I can't see any difference visually. The seat looks right.The left side felt like it formed a smaller/tighter cup for the left cheek then it did for the right. I felt a little bit of a pressure point at my left gluteal fold (a tad more to the outside).

These initial rides where I began to notice this issue were shorter - about an hour to and hour and a half. At no time has this issue resulted in any kind of pain - just some slight irritation. Oddly enough the longer I was on the seat, the less noticeable it became. Also, it seems that each subsequent ride the issue is less pronounced. Perhaps the seat is just breaking in or I'm getting more use to it.

Yesterday I took the bike out and did 3 hours non-stop. This was the first time I rode with the backrest installed since I got the seat back from Russel. I'm not certain but it felt like the backrest didn't allow me to sit as deeply in the seat as normal. It could just be my imagination. I did note that the issue on the left side was barely noticeable yesterday - suggesting again that either the seat is breaking in, I'm getting more use to it, or that the backrest changed my seating position (or posture) slightly. I was pretty comfortable for the entire 3 hours and could have rode longer with ease. No issues when I got off the bike. I wasn't stiff or sore. My legs and rear end felt fine.

The next long ride I do will be without the backrest. I want to see if it that made some difference. I'll put more miles on the seat for break in before I decide if there is really a problem on the left side or not. As things are progressing now, I'm optimistic that seat will be fine after break in and I won't have to go to the trouble of having any more adjustments made.

Last edited by T^2; 10-27-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:54 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

So the weather broke today, which made for a really nice afternoon. I was expecting it to rain all day, but nope. The yard needed mowing, but I blew that off and hopped on the bike for another stint on the seat. I did 3 hours again today. However, I stopped briefly at the 2 hour mark to put another layer of clothing on (was starting to get cool out).

This time I rode without the backrest. Did it make a difference? Maybe. I think it did a tad. I think having the backrest there forces better posture - straitening the back and forcing the spine forward. This seems to result in the hips/pelvis rotating forward a touch. I don't know, but yesterday seemed a tad more comfortable than today.

Today, I'd say the left side - and it's slight discomfort - was more a tad more present. Much like it was on previous rides before yesterday. I may be sensing a tad bit of break in, but I still sense the difference between the left and right side of the seat. I'm sure the left side issue is partially due to my anatomy because I've had issues with that side on a handful of other seats as well. As with yesterday, I finished the ride in pretty good shape. No pain was felt during the ride, just a slight occasional (seemed to come and go) touch of discomfort on the left side. I probably felt a touch better yesterday - riding with the backrest - when getting off the bike/finishing the ride than today.

I've already emailed Russell to get their input/opinion. I'm not sure at this point if I would attempt another alteration or not. I'll probably put at least a 1000 miles on it before making a decision.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:14 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Is your wallet in your left rear pocket?

Do not keep your Wallet in a back pocket when riding.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:44 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
Is your wallet in your left rear pocket?

Do not keep your Wallet in a back pocket when riding.
No, the wallet is in the right.

I've tried going with and without the wallet. It made no difference.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:12 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

I got word back from Russell about my experience so far. They note that they try to get the leg channels completely even. However, they noted that the human body generally isn't (even). They say that when measuring the same point on each thigh, that they are almost always 1" different. Russell says that the slight pressure points that I've noted should be taken care of as the seat finishes breaking in.

I rode again today. Got 2 to 3 hours in I'm guessing. It was a little chilly out today, so I rode with my leather overpants (and no wallet in my back pocket). I also rode again today with the backrest in place. It was a pretty good ride. Most comfortable ride on the seat to date. Perhaps break-in is having it's desired effect. Really didn't notice anything on the left side today. I wondered while riding on it whether the leather overpants would have an effect. I don't know if they did or didn't. All and all, I felt pretty good when I dismounted the bike in the garage. No stiffness, aches, or pains.

Up until today, I've been sort of "meh" about the notion/value of the rider's backrest. Today though, I think I've started to become a big fan. It really does help with posture and long term comfort. I think I'll be predominately riding with the backrest in place from now on. Before I had the alterations done, the notch for the backrest was too far rearward for it be used with the wife aboard. Now that the passenger pillion has essentially been redone, the notch - and in conjunction the riders backrest - is far enough forward that it appears it will work with the wife in place. I've put the bike in the Wheeldock so that both of use could sit on the bike with the backrest in place. The wife said it's now fine for her and that she sort of likes it there (don't ask me why, but she said it made her feel more secure). I haven't had her on a ride yet with it in place and that could change things. We'll see. But, I'm optimistic that I'll be able to use the riders backrest when she comes along for the ride.

Last edited by T^2; 11-03-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:13 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rendezvous
If the RDL looks odd on a HD Heritage Softail, it even looked worse in my ‘04 and ‘08 BMW GS Adventure. But if your bottomline is comfort, looks can be sacrificed.

RDL on my 1150 GS Adventure (sold)
IDK... But I don't think it looks bad at all on that bike.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:46 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Haven't had a chance if a while to get some seat time in. Today was the first day back out in a while. Spent the afternoon out on the road. The RDL is becoming more and more transparent (the desired outcome). I felt good on it all day. I only took one break to get fuel and that was it. I think this RDL seat probably has some more breaking in to do, but in the long run I think it's going to be an excellent performer.

The following 2 users liked this post by T^2:
CB5150 (01-23-2022), MHTR (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 07:56 AM
CB5150
Road Master

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2

So here she is... Miss America...

Got the RDL back from Russell today. I had to send it back for some adjustment. The passenger pillion was completely redone. The first version left a gap of 1-1/2" between the rider and passenger seat. The folks at Russell were scratching their heads on that one. They were surprised as I was. They tell me that this sort of thing practically never happens. I have no reason to doubt them - particularly given their reputation. I didn't think anything of it. I figured there was a 50-50 chance that some kind of adjustment would be needed. Russell immediately sent me a shipping label. Turn around was reasonable. No shipping cost on my side. Great customer service on the phone. Only down side was the additional wait. Meh... Nothing to complain about as far as I'm concerned.

One other adjustment I had them do... They had me put some miles on the seat the first time I received it. The seat was fantastically comfortable with one exception. How it cut across my left hamstring caused some minor numbness to develop in that thigh. This is not an uncommon problem for me. Many seats I've tried on various bikes cause some sort of problem on my left side. The Mustang seat I tried prior to the RDL did the same thing (but the numbness was much worse in that case). I had to look close but I can see the change they made to the seat to relieve that situation. I'll know tomorrow if it takes care of the problem. If so, based on my experience so far, this will be by far the most comfortable seat that I've ever experienced.

The seat surface is made relatively level. Most other bikes slant back somewhat inline with the frame angle. This leveling of the RDL kind of reminds me of how a police seat looks/orients a rider. It raises you vertically for sure. Relationship to the windscreen changes - in my case for the better. The stock windshield was a tad too tall for me (I prefer looking over the shield). With the RDL the stock shield is perfect in terms of height. I'm 5"7" with a 30" inseam. Many reviews I've read complained that the "wings" causes problems with flat footing. I have no such problem. When I lower my legs to the ground, my pelvis sort of just naturally rolls forward and all is good. One other thing about the raised orientation - I like it better. I feel like I have more control over the bike.

One thing I'll stipulate... If your priority is a "sexy" looking seat, well this might not be the seat for you. How this seat looks on the bike is not a priority for me. Comfort/performance is what I'm after here. I suspect this seat is going to knock it out of the park in this regard. If so, it will not surprise given RDL's reputation. The seat itself is nice looking and well made.

More commentary/observations/pictures will likely be forthcoming.
After a bit of helpful consultation with @T^2 , I have ordered a Russell Day-Long (RDL) seat for my 2019 Heritage. The production date is scheduled for April 3rd.

This will be my second RDL, as I previously had one on my Goldwing. After many years and mucho dinero $$$ spent on Mustangs, Corbins, and Saddlemen seats, I broke down and ordered one about 5 years ago. I always felt they looked a little odd with the “wings” on the sides to support your outer thighs.

I’m not an Iron Butt rider, but multiple 600-700 miles days are pretty common for me, my riding buddies, and my wife (she rides a 2018 Goldwing). A couple of buddies I used to ride with ordered RDLs and I had the chance to ride one for about 300 miles and that was what sold me immediately. It was the most comfortable seat…not just motorcycle seat, but ANY seat, I had ever sat on.

Seats, (much like tattoos, women, and bourbon) are a very personal thing. Some people, like my wife, have never needed an aftermarket seat for any of her bikes. I’m just the opposite. The first thing I do, regardless of the motorcycle brand, is throw the stock seat right in the trash.

If you are looking for a sleek, sexy seat, then RDLs probably aren’t for you. If you value function over form and consistently pack on high mileage, the an RDL should be a consideration if you’re looking for a better seat.

Last edited by CB5150; 01-03-2023 at 07:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
T^2 (01-03-2023)