2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Sport Glide Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 11:39 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Sport Glide Feedback

Thinking about getting a Softail to replace my 2014 SGS. Trying to gather Softail feedback.

How are you liking your Sport Glides? Do you wish you had purchased a different Softail model?

Have you any pictures with the 5" windshield?

Would the Classic windshield be a option, and fit properly?

Top Answer

09-30-2019, 08:55 PM
RollTideRoll
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had my sportglide for about a year and can say without a doubt it is the best all around bike I have ever owned. I have tried the 5.5 windshield as well as the klockworks windshield but for me I am most comfortable with the stock windshield and my fullface helmet.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:20 PM
El_M0to
Advanced
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I rode a bunch of different bikes when I chose my Sport Glide. I just liked how it felt. I'll admit, this is my first cruiser and first Harley but I've been riding 20+ years and always wanted one.

With that, no regrets. I've changed a few things for comfort. Added a Corbin Seat, put risers on it that lifted them 4" and brought them back 2". I tried a 9" Slipstreamer windscreen but it was honestly way worse. The buffeting side to side was terrible. Went back to the 2" stock. I haven't seen a bike with the 5.5" yet.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:41 PM
Sergio22
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first HD I’m happy she is sportier and comfortable if you want to tour, changed the seat for a mustang one and it was a wise choice, put the riser 4 up and 2 back now more comfortable, stage II with rinehart
ride safe

Old 09-26-2019, 07:39 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Also my first HD. Rode adventure touring bikes before this. Really lovin' this bike! I put on a taller rear shock, some floorboards, 5.5" windshield with added spoiler, and a Sundowner saddle. I use it for commuting regularly. I already have little over 13k miles on it and I've only had it since last Thanksgiving.

With Sundowner and floorboards...

Last edited by HuntWhenever; 09-26-2019 at 07:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by HuntWhenever:
cannot (09-27-2019), rauchman (09-27-2019), Sideburn (10-09-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 10:06 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Picking up a new wicked red Sport Glide Saturday. Its my first HD. Put 35k on a fast sport cruiser back in the day. 100 WHP V65 Magna. Magazine ran it 10.8 126 mph in the quarter. I added a medium size raked windshield soft quick detachable bags & trunk for when I did longer trips. Have been missing it for 20 years. There is a pic of the 5" windshield on HD parts & accessories site. Reviews are not good. Its still too small unless you add a spoiler like Huntwhenever did. A few companies make shields for our bike and or aftermarket fairings also. I['m looking at the ones linked below. Read the reviews and check out the customer photos also as there is a SG in them. Don't think the Classic windshield would fit or look right if you could make it fit.

Stage 2 with power cam dyno tuned with both pro street & smart tune (wideband) will run strong and keep perfect tune regardless of altitude weather etc. It also only needs the hi flow street cannons or other legal slip ons so you don't need the head pipes which is good since HD doesn't make any to fit the SG only the touring models with respects to the M8. Not much benefit anyway unless you are going stage 4 (probably what they used for the stage 4 chart dyno pulls) or want to have more than Jxxx whatever compliant sound. Well some other EPA compliant slip ons may have sound adjust-ability though doing so could technically void warranty. Still retains full 24 month unlimited mile warranty and 20 percent off if ordered at bike purchase. FWIW My dealership carries S&S 50 state EPA/Carb legal exhaust IE header & muff that fits the SG and has the dB reducer at the back of the pipe. I linked it below but its pictured on the Fat Bob

HuntWhenever I love the bike. How do you like the windshield / spoiler combo? To do over would you try another windshield? Also what floorboards and how do you like them?

https://bikescreen.com/blogs/current...on-sport-glide

https://www.sscycle.com/products/sup...oftail-models/

The following users liked this post:
Bodacious MC (09-27-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 10:51 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by VernDiesel

HuntWhenever I love the bike. How do you like the windshield / spoiler combo? To do over would you try another windshield? Also what floorboards and how do you like them?
Thanks!

I tried a few different windshield setups. Here is a thread showing a few windshield options for the Sport Glide:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...d-options.html

The floorboards are Kuryakyn boards that fit my peg mount brackets (using their 2018+ Softail adapters).

VernDiesel (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 12:51 AM
RossW
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Loving my Twisted Cherry Sport Glide. Also my first Harley Davidson and first cruiser after a string of sport/tourer style bikes. Still waiting on the pillion backrest, luggage rack and the Saddlemen seat.

The fairing comes off altogether very easily and I like the look of it like that, but it does keep some wind pressure off your torso at ~90km/h and above.

I'm especially impressed by how it tracks on our less than perfect Hunter Valley Roads. On all of my previous bikes I took great pains to avoid concrete joints and cracks in the pavement to avoid wobbles, but this bike doesn't care, it just tracks right across them.

The ride could be better. Even on the lowest setting it's a bit firm for my liking. I'm hoping the Saddlemen seat improves that when it arrives.

The preload adjustment can theoretically be adjusted on the fly, but it is very stiff to operate and I still find it necessary to stop and get off the bike to adjust it.

Cornering clearance? Well, it's a cruiser not a Sport bike, but I can see myself going through right hand foot pegs at a great rate with all the roundabouts I travel through. This is the first bike I've had since my old Honda CB200 where grounding the pegs is more or less an everyday occurrence.

Last edited by RossW; 09-27-2019 at 12:53 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RossW:
Bodacious MC (09-27-2019), HuntWhenever (09-27-2019), mongomark (10-09-2019), rauchman (09-30-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 07:39 PM
Cage Free
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

Loving it so far. Picked mine up on NYE. Since I added fat mini apes I don't use the fairing anymore. 90% of the time I'm sans bags, but one of the reasons I bought the bike is because they're there if I need them. Have taken one long trip (~1500mi.) and the bike preformed great and was comfortable. Just started riding two up with girl and the pre load adjuster works well and is super convenient. Commute 100 mi. a day at speeds typically around 80 but up to 90 mph and just crossed over 12k. Rear tire is about to tap out. Bike is stable and planted in SoCal's bumpy sweepers and a blast up in the hills. Because of the fwd controls my boot heels typically touch before the pegs ever do. Lately have been thinking about floorboards for just a little more comfort. Twinge of envy when the LRS softail came out but then I remembered that this bike delivers everything I want in regards to riding and has all the creature comforts I wanted. Love me some cruise control.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cage Free:
Bodacious MC (09-27-2019), rauchman (09-30-2019), RossW (09-28-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 10:31 PM
pjbuilder
Cruiser
Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodacious MC
Thinking about getting a Softail to replace my 2014 SGS. Trying to gather Softail feedback.

How are you liking your Sport Glides? Do you wish you had purchased a different Softail model?

Have you any pictures with the 5" windshield?

Would the Classic windshield be a option, and fit properly?
I've had my Sport Glide since July of 2018. Traded in my 2014 Dyna Low Rider. Liked the dyna but always was looking for bags and got tired of the rubber engine mount vibration. I thought I would ride the Sport Glide without the bags most of the time. Turns out they're on the bike 95% of the time. I like the utilitarian nature of the Sport Glide. I like the look of other softails more than the Sport Glide but I like the usefulness of the Sport Glide . I originally went to look at the Fat Boy or the Fat Bob and to date I think they look the best of all of the newer softails but the Sport Glide coming stock with cruise, abs, forwards, removable bags, and the small fairing made it the best choice for me.

I've ridden for hours without resting and could have gone for another couple hundred miles without a stop. I find it's that comfortable.
I'm 6'1" and I've added 4" pullback riser along with the tall boy Harley seat. I no longer run the fairing and have installed the Memphis Shades Memphis Fats old school windshield. The irony is you're coming from a street glide and I'm seriously considering test riding the road glide and street glide only to see how they compare for wind management at speed. I may decide to trade in the sport glide for one of them and if not I'll stay with the sport glide.

Memphis Fats with Cobra 909

Definitely no regrets.

rauchman (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 08:55 PM
RollTideRoll
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had my sportglide for about a year and can say without a doubt it is the best all around bike I have ever owned. I have tried the 5.5 windshield as well as the klockworks windshield but for me I am most comfortable with the stock windshield and my fullface helmet.

The following 10 users liked this post by RollTideRoll:
Bigjohn1381 (10-09-2019), Geardog (04-11-2021), GPHDXLC (10-02-2019), Low budget Dan (10-01-2019), Lu (10-04-2019), MadMouser (10-01-2019), niceguyshawn (10-04-2019), rauchman (10-03-2019), RossW (09-30-2019), Sideburn (10-09-2019) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Sport Glide Feedback