2018+ Softail Models Breakout

FLSB Sport Glide discussions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019 | 04:23 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by rauchman
Wow, some sharp setups. I'm on a Switchback, aside from Dyna to Softail, the 2 aren't far apart. If I were going for a Softail as a new bike, it would be between the Heritage and Sport Glide. I like different things on each and somewhere between them is the bike I'd really want.

Some questions....

Can the shock from the Heritage be used? Are there aftermarket options given even more travel, ground clearance, lean angle?
How is the front suspension in the forks? I know it's an upgrade over the stock Dyna suspension, but anyone find the need to take it even further? Is it needed? I run Racetech Emulators and springs in the forks on my bike and it makes a big difference. I'd say it's needed on the FLD.
Can a conventional windshield be used?
Is the mini bat wing with a taller windshield effective? Is it better than a conventional windshield? More protection from the elements? Better with turbulence?
Can the SG take floorboards? Is lean angle lost with the floor boards?
Are aux lights an option?

I do very much like the Switchback bags in that they are hardbags, top loading, easily removable, gasket sealed (never had an issue riding through rain...waterproof), and unlike the Touring bags, have minimal internal geometry/dimension disruption from things like having to fit around the shocks, etc. How are the bags on the SG? Are they waterproof? Does stuff fall out of them when you open them since they are side opening?
Addressing just the floorboard question you asked.

The SG can take HD brand floorboards by purchasing all the hardware and boards from HD. Pretty expensive.

The other option is these Floorboards, that pop right into the existing peg clevis, with this M8 Adapter. No lean angle lost.

Old 11-24-2019 | 04:46 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain

Yep HuntWhenever converted to the taller Heritage shock. I don't know about aftermarket options.
I'm happy with the stock inverted forks.
I believe a conventional windshield can be used. I got the Gustafsson 15" vented windscreen for the factory fairing in light smoke gray but wish I had chosen dark smoke gray. Very happy with it good coverage except hands and no buffeting even at speed. HuntWhever has added hand covers to his bike which would resolve the hand coverage. Would not want any shorter than the 15" but I'm 6'4.
You missed this one there is pics of floorboards on a SG in this thread. Edit lol guess DK beat me this one.
I've read the SG is wired for aux options. I have about 1,900 miles on mine and am very pleased with the bike.

Last edited by VernDiesel; 11-24-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-24-2019 | 05:13 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Can the shock from the Heritage be used? Are there aftermarket options given even more travel, ground clearance, lean angle?
Here's a link to my Heritage Shock install thread. I think there are some after market options from Progressive and Ohlins.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/frame...ort-glide.html

How is the front suspension in the forks? I know it's an upgrade over the stock Dyna suspension, but anyone find the need to take it even further? Is it needed? I run Racetech Emulators and springs in the forks on my bike and it makes a big difference. I'd say it's needed on the FLD.
The stock forks are pretty good. I'd love to drop some Ohlins cartridges in someday, but its pretty low on the priority list.

Can a conventional windshield be used?
Is the mini bat wing with a taller windshield effective? Is it better than a conventional windshield? More protection from the elements? Better with turbulence?
Here's a link to a Sport Glide Windshield thread. There are also some other windshield options discussed in the bit 2018+ Sport Glide thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...d-options.html

Can the SG take floorboards? Is lean angle lost with the floor boards?
Yea. Here's a link with some different options: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ort-glide.html

How are the bags on the SG? Are they waterproof? Does stuff fall out of them when you open them since they are side opening?
I like the bags. I keep a crap load of stuff in them on a daily bases (rain gear, road-side repair stuff, 12v pump, bag of bungies, etc.) I've never had them leak, and I've ridden through some heavy rain. Also, by bike lives outside, so its sat through some heavy rain and snow.

The following users liked this post:
hitcher (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019 | 02:22 PM
RossW
Cruiser

How are the bags on the SG? Are they waterproof? Does stuff fall out of them when you open them since they are side opening?
They do have a seal, but the lid is flexible so it is possible to close them without sealing properly if you over fill them.

Stuff doesn't fall out because they have little nets that open out when you open the lid that keep everything inside and there are gas struts to give a soft open.

Still not as convenient as top opening bags and I dislike the way the little gas strut intrudes into the space.

Old 02-19-2020 | 07:30 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

A couple of mods tonight.
New derby cover:

6" risers:

I will likely switch to the wrinkle black outer primary cover when I do my 20k mile service this Spring.

Old 02-19-2020 | 07:35 PM
RossW
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
A couple of mods tonight.
New derby cover:

6" risers:

I will likely switch to the wrinkle black outer primary cover when I do my 20k mile service this Spring.
Looks good. Did you need to extend any cables to fit the risers? Thinking of doing mine to get the bars a bit higher.

Old 02-19-2020 | 08:07 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RossW
Looks good. Did you need to extend any cables to fit the risers? Thinking of doing mine to get the bars a bit higher.
Cables/wires/brake line are all at max extension. It was kinda tough getting the bar up into the riser. But, everything did barely fit.

Old 02-19-2020 | 08:41 PM
jtodd
Tourer

All looking great @HuntWhenever How are you liking your little lexan fairing wings? Are they doing a good job with the tank buffeting?

Old 02-19-2020 | 08:49 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jtodd
All looking great @HuntWhenever How are you liking your little lexan fairing wings? Are they doing a good job with the tank buffeting?
Thanks. They did a lot to help the lower tank buffeting. Wind management still isn't 100% what I'd like, but its getting there.

The following users liked this post:
jtodd (02-20-2020)
Old 04-06-2020 | 06:24 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

There have been a few discussions on and off over the last year or so about Sport Glide side-case capacity. I've always ment to take some pictures of what I keep in my cases. Now that I have a little more spare time (working reduced hours right now), I figured I'd snap a few shots.

Left Case:
- Rain Gear
- Jiffy Stand puck (burried down in the bottom)
- storage bag containing ...
- tire valve extension
- tire gauge
- Garmin mounted in handle bar case
- rain cover for Garmin
- tire plug kit
- first aid kit
- work light

Right Case:
- 12V air compressor
- storage containers with spare fuses, multitool, and tie wraps
- couple helmet locks
- knife
- sunglasses
- hat
- storage bag full of bungies

If I need to take something to a job site or pick up something on the way home, I can usually stick something small in with my rain gear and there's a bit more room in the right case still. If I have to take something bigger along, I can take my backpack out of my top case and strap it to the passenger seat, freeing up the top case for other items.

Quick Reply: FLSB Sport Glide discussions.