2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Is the Narrow Primary cover part of the transfer fix/solution?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019 | 01:34 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mehlbs73
I don't know that the 19's and 20's come stock with the Narrow Primary Cover.... I could be wrong but I believe this is still only an option through HD P&A. I bought a '19 Slim and have a standard HD Derby Cover ordered through my dealer for it. I know it's a standard and not the narrow Derby Cover because it is the Brass Collection one and they do not have a Narrow Brass Collection cover.

I'll let you know if I get it and the Dealer just wasn't aware that this won't fit, but I'm hoping they would have alerted me to this when I ordered it. Additionally, it is an option with my model year bike selected on HD.com so I'm thinking that the bike comes stock with the standard primary.

Hope this helps, I'll follow up with you on the Derby Cover when I go to install, this should answer our question.
My ‘19 Heritage came stock with the narrow primary cover as did all ‘19 Softails AFAIK.

The following users liked this post:
mehlbs73 (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019 | 01:43 PM
mehlbs73
Advanced

Sorry everybody, I was wrong. I did not see a Brass Derby Cover for the narrow primary called out, but it is actually for the narrow primary. After doing further digging, it is correct that all '19 and later softails did come with the narrow primary.

Sorry again for the confusion! Thanks for the correction.

Old 09-13-2019 | 02:01 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't know that the 19's and 20's come stock with the Narrow Primary Cover.... I could be wrong but I believe this is still only an option through HD P&A. I bought a '19 Slim and have a standard HD Derby Cover ordered through my dealer for it. I know it's a standard and not the narrow Derby Cover because it is the Brass Collection one and they do not have a Narrow Brass Collection cover.

I'll let you know if I get it and the Dealer just wasn't aware that this won't fit, but I'm hoping they would have alerted me to this when I ordered it. Additionally, it is an option with my model year bike selected on HD.com so I'm thinking that the bike comes stock with the standard primary.

Hope this helps, I'll follow up with you on the Derby Cover when I go to install, this should answer our question.
I'm betting you have the slim. I sat on a 2018 and 2019, the slim primary was the only change between those years. The slim primary is why I had them put 2018 tins on my 2019, I wanted the slim for clearance.
I tell you guys we here on this forum know more than the dealer does.

Las Vegas Jim (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019 | 02:55 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: National Guard

I could be wrong but I believe this is still only an option through HD P&A. I bought a '19 Slim and have a standard HD Derby Cover ordered through my dealer for it. I know it's a standard and not the narrow Derby Cover because it is the Brass Collection one and they do not have a Narrow Brass Collection cover.
No, as I said, all of the new softails, as of the Sport Glide, use the narrow primary cover.
They made an updated version of the brass derby cover for the narrow primary cover as well.
Narrow https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/brass-derby-cover
Standard https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...on-derby-cover

EDIT: Oops. I didn't read the whole thread.

Old 09-13-2019 | 06:02 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Angry

Sad but true. It is never a good sign when I know more about my bike from reading the owners manual than the service writer who is advising me and giving me inaccurate information. I have irritated at least two service writers at my HD dealer and am tired of being treated as a problem instead of a valued customer who has spent a ton of buck with them in the last year. I have had this discussion with the customer service department at HD who didn't appreciate my attitude either.

I have found that if you can get past the service writer guard dogs and talk to one to the experience master mechanics who work on your bike that you get reliable answers. At least I have identified a qualified service writer and only let him supervise the work on my bike. Even then, I follow my military rule: You don't get what you expect, you get what you inspect. I always check the fluids, tire pressure and digital settings when I pick up a bike after service. I also take it for a test ride around the back parking lot to make sure the throttle, clutch and brakes aren't doing anything strange or dangerous.

Last edited by Las Vegas Jim; 09-13-2019 at 06:04 PM. Reason: add a comment
OldMike (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019 | 07:20 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
No, as I said, all of the new softails, as of the Sport Glide, use the narrow primary cover.
They made an updated version of the brass derby cover for the narrow primary cover as well.
Narrow https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/brass-derby-cover
Standard https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...on-derby-cover

EDIT: Oops. I didn't read the whole thread.
Will you buy a bike already? You’ve certainly posted enough about them, isn’t it time to actually experience one? You are missing out. We only live so long...

Old 09-13-2019 | 09:05 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
Will you buy a bike already? You’ve certainly posted enough about them, isn’t it time to actually experience one? You are missing out. We only live so long...
Long story short, I am waiting for a legal case to be won.
Once I have the money from that case, I'm gonna be riding a shiny new fat boy.
But ofc the government and this stuff takes a very long time.
So best I got is to ride the little bike I got now, and just wait for my attorney and the government to battle it out.
All of this was supposed to go through in February, but the judge whoever saw my case went completely off the rails and didnt look at anything, treated me and my attourney and witnesses like trash, and we motioned an appeal and got him removed from my case. We were clean and ready and practiced and the judge just went mental.
Completely shut me down, and put my case back into litigation, where we're trying to bulletproof my case now.
I'm expecting a little over $40k, But until then, I'll just keep doing research, and trying to share what knowledge I learned and clearing up questions I have.
Yeah it really sucks sitting here not being able to get the bike I want. But not much I can do about it right now.

JatoTheRipper (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2019 | 09:28 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Long story short, I am waiting for a legal case to be won.
Once I have the money from that case, I'm gonna be riding a shiny new fat boy.
But ofc the government and this stuff takes a very long time.
So best I got is to ride the little bike I got now, and just wait for my attorney and the government to battle it out.
All of this was supposed to go through in February, but the judge whoever saw my case went completely off the rails and didnt look at anything, treated me and my attourney and witnesses like trash, and we motioned an appeal and got him removed from my case. We were clean and ready and practiced and the judge just went mental.
Completely shut me down, and put my case back into litigation, where we're trying to bulletproof my case now.
I'm expecting a little over $40k, But until then, I'll just keep doing research, and trying to share what knowledge I learned and clearing up questions I have.
Yeah it really sucks sitting here not being able to get the bike I want. But not much I can do about it right now.
If you're certain you'll win your case and you have a job, why not just finance one like 90% of the other riders out there, and just pay it off when your ship comes in? There are more <500 mile barely used Fat Boys on dealer lots then any other model, at least at my local shop.

40k isn't a huge payday, so if you're planning on blowing half your winnings on a bike, you can probably afford the note. But that's just my silly way of looking at things. I start going a little nuts when I can't ride for a day or two, and I ride 11 months out of the year. I can't imagine sitting on the sidelines without a bike I love. But again, that's just my crazy way of looking at life. Again, we only get one shot at it, might as well make it count. Every time I ride I kinda kick myself for the crap I used to ride in my earlier life. Had I known then what I know know, I would have been riding Harleys instead of the many, many, rice or schnapps rockets I've owned.

Just one crazy man's opinion.

Old 09-13-2019 | 09:40 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
If you're certain you'll win your case and you have a job, why not just finance one like 90% of the other riders out there, and just pay it off when your ship comes in? There are more <500 mile barely used Fat Boys on dealer lots then any other model, at least at my local shop.

40k isn't a huge payday, so if you're planning on blowing half your winnings on a bike, you can probably afford the note. But that's just my silly way of looking at things. I start going a little nuts when I can't ride for a day or two, and I ride 11 months out of the year. I can't imagine sitting on the sidelines without a bike I love. But again, that's just my crazy way of looking at life. Again, we only get one shot at it, might as well make it count. Every time I ride I kinda kick myself for the crap I used to ride in my earlier life. Had I known then what I know know, I would have been riding Harleys instead of the many, many, rice or schnapps rockets I've owned.

Just one crazy man's opinion.
It'll be cheaper over time and better for insurance if I buy it in cash and insure it that way.
Granted "budget" and a new softail isnt exactly the most compatable set of words, but in short, I got the chance to pursue a dream bike and I want to make it as viable as possible, with room to spare. Dropping straight cash on the bike, getting cheaper insurance, all gives me more room to look up exhaust and style mods, and comfort upgrades ect.
I also plan on getting my teeth fixed which will be almost as expensive as the bike so, getting what I want and not breaking the bank entirely is the goal.
I am personally kicking myself for waiting so long to start getting into riding as a whole, because I grew around harley's and chopper culture, but when I was in the Army, I was a video game nerd and a competitive player, so bikes werent on my mind yet.
It wasnt until I got older that I really shifted towards wanting to be outside and riding again.
I built an electric moto I ride right now, and while it's fun, and *for the insurance companies* they count it as legal qualified riding experience. it sure ain't no harley./'
Everyone told me "start on a small bike first" so that's what I did, and it's been fun, but I want more power and i gasoline for the long distance option it offers.

I don't have a job either, lets just say some really bad **** happened to me and that's where this whole legal case came from, and that's about as far I wanna talk about that. If I win my case, things will change for the better, and that's what I'm counting on.
I'd rather talk about the bikes while im here.

Old 09-13-2019 | 09:44 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

My '15 Limited Low came with the narrow primary, so it's been around at least that long.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Quick Reply: Is the Narrow Primary cover part of the transfer fix/solution?