2018+ Softail Models Breakout

M8 Softail Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:09 PM
mehlbs73
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Yes this voids your powertrain warranty. The use of any non epa approved pipe and tune will void your powertrain warranty.
I do believe S&S makes a 50 state legal and EPA compliant 2 into 1 though..... could be wrong.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:11 PM
mehlbs73
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a bit of a info I got from Magnaflow for everyone watching the thread. I did reach out to them and asked if they had anything in the works for the 2018+ softails and they did reply that they are currently in Development/Testing phase of full systems and slip ons for all the softails. Really excited and intrigued by this, the Magnaflow pipes for the Twin Cams really had a deep and throaty note to them, almost muscle car-esque (go figure). Hoping that sound carries through on the new pipes.

No hard ETA at this time, but at least they are in the works! I'll keep everyone up to date with what I hear.

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by mehlbs73
I do believe S&S makes a 50 state legal and EPA compliant 2 into 1 though..... could be wrong.
You're not wrong. They do make a 50 state EPA compliant version

Hopefully that will placate the “warranty police” parroting the same thing over and over around here.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
mehlbs73 (09-11-2019), mongomark (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:15 PM
coopmonte
Road Captain
Received 203 Likes on 149 Posts

Yes this voids your powertrain warranty. The use of any non epa approved pipe and tune will void your powertrain warranty.
At least look the exhaust up before making such a definite statement. No the S&S does not, it is 50 state EPA and CARB compliant which means it is EPA approved. Hell the exhaust even has EU certification.

Originally Posted by Mchad
You're not wrong. They do make a 50 state EPA compliant version

Hopefully that will placate the “warranty police” parroting the same thing over and over around here.
I'm with you, they don't even get the full info before claiming warranty voiding.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:19 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by coopmonte
At least look the exhaust up before making such a definite statement. No the S&S does not, it is 50 state EPA and CARB compliant which means it is EPA approved. Hell the exhaust even has EU certification.
Then you should probably read what I wrote then.

I said any NON EPA COMPLIANT, that is the qualifier here.

if it is EPA complaint, I'm sure harley wont care.
Please read the WHOLE post before trying to break apart someone's statement.
The whole point of your post is reliant on the fact that you left out the qualifier I made.
If its not EPA complaint, with a non EPA tuner, it's going to void your warranty.

If it is EPA compliant, and it has an EPA approved Tune, it's very likely to be all happy and fine with the MOCO.
Leaving out the quailifier I made, does not legitimize what you said. That's called Attacking the Straw-man, and it's a fallacy.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 09-11-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:27 PM
coopmonte
Road Captain

Not trying to tare any statement apart, just answering about the exhaust and this being the S&S 2:1 that was asked and quoted about will not void anything. The second sentence I agree with to a point.

Edit: Having the period makes it a definitive statement, a comma would have made it a qualifier to the beginning.

Last edited by coopmonte; 09-11-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:35 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by coopmonte
Not trying to tare any statement apart, just answering about the exhaust and this being the S&S 2:1 that was asked and quoted about will not void anything. The second sentence I agree with to a point.
You did though. The qualifier is what matters. If the system is EPA compliant and the tune is EPA approved, my previous condition no longer applies.
To my knowledge at this point, checking the S&S site, S&S doesn't even make a 2 into 1 for the Fat Boy that I can purchase, and they do make a few sets of EPA and Non EPA compliant slip ons.(nothing I can buy right now is a 2 into 1 for the fat boy.)
OP's intent is about exhaust in GENERAL, not just the 2 into 1, and considering the fact that they are likely to not just look at S&S, the point of my comment is to get them to narrow down their search to specifically EPA compliancy if they want to maintain their warranty.
Most people will be able to extrapolate, "Oh but this does say 50state legal, therefor Harley MOCO will probably be ok with it."

But in the same regard, the TUNE is also important, if they get a 50 state EPA pipe, and then they get a FP3, or PowerVision, and start tuning away, neither are EPA approved and Harley, depending on the dealer, will be happy with it.
The tuner is more important to the grey area of warranty.
A non harley approved tuning location, or tuning device likely is going to put a red flag on the powertrain, and "But my exhaust is 50 state legal" is likely not going to fly with Milwaukee.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:44 PM
coopmonte
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Griff012FLHX
Take a look at the S&S 2:1
Originally Posted by mehlbs73
Do you know if this voided your warranty? I actually like the look of a long 2 into 1 on the Slims, looks like a Knuckle then.

It's all good, I was just following the conversation.

mehlbs73 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Removal of the qualifier is a fallacy. Please stop.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16
Put shortshots on that slim and don't look back. Stock baffles. I gottem on my m8 Softail and they're no louder that the nieghbor haters on my RoadKing.
And they look awesome!
You should post a pic, I don't get tired of looking at your bike.

mehlbs73 (09-11-2019)

Quick Reply: M8 Softail Exhaust Options