2018+ Softail Models Breakout

M8 Softail Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Does anyone have a dynograph of the SE canons on a softail versus like any other slip on vs stock?
I kinda remember fuelmoto saying that high flow pipes hamper the M8 a lot.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 PM
RossW
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Think you’ll be ok. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy any aftermarket pipes or motor parts through your dealer. Harley snoops on their computers and can void based on non-compliant purchases. The SE Tuner is the biggest deal so you should be good otherwise. My dealer says the same thing regarding warranty. Technically crossing the EPA line by removing the cat is a no-no, but I’ve heard it has not been an issue. Also it takes 10 minutes to swap your old cans back on if you need to.
Here in Australia, the Dealer by law have to honour a warranty that the goods are fit for purpose and perform to the extent that a reasonable person would expect. Whether HD honour the warranty or not is a matter between them and the dealer. For the dealer to get out of honouring the warranty here, they'd have to show that the aftermarket parts were the cause of the problem and even then, since they sold them to you, they'd be on the hook to fix it. This applies even after the official warranty expires, if you can show that a reasonable person could expect the goods to last longer than that. You stateside guys have it rough.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:24 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Put shortshots on that slim and don't look back. Stock baffles. I gottem on my m8 Softail and they're no louder that the nieghbor haters on my RoadKing.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by RossW
Here in Australia, the Dealer by law have to honour a warranty that the goods are fit for purpose and perform to the extent that a reasonable person would expect. Whether HD honour the warranty or not is a matter between them and the dealer. For the dealer to get out of honouring the warranty here, they'd have to show that the aftermarket parts were the cause of the problem and even then, since they sold them to you, they'd be on the hook to fix it. This applies even after the official warranty expires, if you can show that a reasonable person could expect the goods to last longer than that. You stateside guys have it rough.
That’s how it was here with the Magnusson Moss act, but in ‘17 the EPA cracked down on HD and ruled that modifications that run foul of the federal emissions rules automatically void warranties. They are more obsessed with tuning, but any cat removal falls into this category also, although I’ve only heard of repercussions for tuners and Cams....not pipes.

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-10-2019 at 11:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VernDiesel (01-16-2020)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:02 AM
RossW
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mehlbs73
Thanks for the insight! Might take a look at it, not sure if it'll go really with the theme for the bike I'm looking for but maybe.
Here's a pic of my air cleaner, you can see how it looks on a Sport Glide. What theme did you have in mind?

The following users liked this post:
Maccam26 (01-16-2020)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:28 AM
mehlbs73
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's a pic of my air cleaner, you can see how it looks on a Sport Glide. What theme did you have in mind?
This looks awesome man, great bike and great shot! I have the rest of the brass collection on my bike, so I am contemplating rolling with that to keep it going with a High Flow SE AC and Brass cover, or with an S&S Tear Drop/Mini Tear Drop to keep the old school look of the bike. Thoughts?

Old 09-11-2019, 07:30 AM
mehlbs73
Advanced

Originally Posted by Griff012FLHX
Take a look at the S&S 2:1
Do you know if this voided your warranty? I actually like the look of a long 2 into 1 on the Slims, looks like a Knuckle then.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:07 AM
RossW
Cruiser

This looks awesome man, great bike and great shot! I have the rest of the brass collection on my bike, so I am contemplating rolling with that to keep it going with a High Flow SE AC and Brass cover, or with an S&S Tear Drop/Mini Tear Drop to keep the old school look of the bike. Thoughts?
I know the SE round filter sticks out more than the stock one. I test rode a bike with one and that's what prompted me to go the way that I did.

You'd have to look at a bike with the S&S one to be sure about clearance.

The only themed cover the ventilator has available is the Defiant one which has a sort of art deco look.

Are you keeping the stock wheels?

Old 09-11-2019, 12:11 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Do you know if this voided your warranty? I actually like the look of a long 2 into 1 on the Slims, looks like a Knuckle then.
Yes this voids your powertrain warranty. The use of any non epa approved pipe and tune will void your powertrain warranty.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM
mehlbs73
Advanced

I know the SE round filter sticks out more than the stock one. I test rode a bike with one and that's what prompted me to go the way that I did.

You'd have to look at a bike with the S&S one to be sure about clearance.

The only themed cover the ventilator has available is the Defiant one which has a sort of art deco look.

Are you keeping the stock wheels?
That's what I was concerned of. Sticking out farther may not be a huge issue if it is smaller in diameter. I feel my stock cover is the size of a cheese platter right now and that's my biggest issue....

I'm going to keep stock for now. Eventually, I think I'd like to do a pair of Ride Wright Fat Daddy's, 21 up front and 16 in the back with the brass nipples and white walls. Think that would look pretty awesome.

I'll post a pic of my bike as soon as it gets outta the dealer. Negotiated a set of 12 inch Wild 1 Outlawz that they are throwing on with the purchase of the bike. Also have already put on a Saddleman Renegade Diamond Stitch solo, passenger pillion, and sissy bar pad with the HD Rigid Tall Sissy Bar on. Actually looks pretty awesome already with that and a majority of the brass components on already but I really think the bars are going to up the whole look of the bike.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply: M8 Softail Exhaust Options