2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2020 Low Rider S owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 09:48 AM
nightsterept
Road Captain
Received 342 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Installed my 10” bars and my Rinehart 2:1 last night. Had a little difficulty with the pipe, but that was due to incomplete instructions included in the box. When I spoke to them this morning, they sent me updated instructions and it was done. The only remaining issue is the bracket they use tilts the peg mount back a couple degrees to clear the pipe, but it causes the brake pedal to go way higher then I want. So I ordered a shifter linkage which I’ll bend to match the stock pedal linkage, about an inch longer, which will drop the pedal. I ordered a kit from Bung King, which is adjustable so I can fine tune.

My God how much better the bars feel! And this pipe is great. Nice deep sound, none of the “raspiness” the S&S had. Really like it. A bit louder, but not annoyingly so. Maybe I’m just going deaf lol. Who knows. I left the sig wires pretty much just hanging, as I plan on relocating them to the forks, so it made no sense running them in the bars. Got my cruise enabled also.

Ordered the new HD quarter fairing, as my plan to try and make the Memphis Shades Cafe fit, isn’t going to happen as the forks are too wide. I’m sure MS will come out with a new fairing for half the price, a day or two after I install the $400 HD one, but that’s life.

Here she is today: I gotta scrub off that white chalk/marker on my tires. FFS.

I decided to stick with the HD Torque cam, so I ordered that as well and will get it installed next week. Also ordered black tappet and pushrod covers and fueling lifters. I’ll keep the solid pushrods because I’m crazy like that.

For your bars, how much slack is left in the stock clutch cable, do you have a pic of how you routed it to provide slack?

What part number did you use for the extended brake line, and was it the full brake line down to the calipers or just the single section from the master cylinder to the brake junction? I'm assuming most after market manufacturers don't have the FXLRS specific parts, did you just use a fatbob part number item? Was there any issue with the stock wire lengths with a 10" bar?

Last edited by nightsterept; 09-08-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by nightsterept
For your bars, how much slack is left in the stock clutch cable, do you have a pic of how you routed it to provide slack?

What part number did you use for the extended brake line, and was it the full brake line down to the calipers or just the single section from the master cylinder to the brake junction? I'm assuming most after market manufacturers don't have the FXLRS specific parts, did you just use a fatbob part number item? Was there any issue with the stock wire lengths with a 10" bar?
No photos, but it’s not that complicated. Remove cable from lever, pull down out of triple tree and reattach to lever. Cable simply runs up left frame tube, but instead of going under the triple tree it just goes straight up to lever, like Harley’s have been doing for all eternity. I’ll try and get a photo later.

Changed upper brake line only. From manifold under triple tree to MC. It’s a HD part. Line and adapter can be ordered by your dealer.

i used 8” extensions for the right handlebar switch pack, and the smallest TBW extensions which I think was 12”. The left pack was a new cruise control pack, which has a much longer wire then stock, so no extension needed for that. Stuffed extra length into the frame no problem. If you are leaving the sigs on the bars, you may need to extend them as well, depending on how tall you go. The same kit for the switches will work for the sigs. Same JAE connectors...

Old 09-10-2019, 03:24 PM
big ron
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Mchad,
Still haven't picked up my bike so curious how tall are you and are you comfortable with the rider triangle on the LRS. I am 6'4" and wondering if it will be cramped. Had a super glide with dyna low rider modified mids and it was perfect.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by big ron
Hey Mchad,
Still haven't picked up my bike so curious how tall are you and are you comfortable with the rider triangle on the LRS. I am 6'4" and wondering if it will be cramped. Had a super glide with dyna low rider modified mids and it was perfect.
I'm between 6'2 and 3 and and I don't have any problems. Remember thought that I have tall bars, and somewhat short legs - 32" inseam. Which helps. So my riding position is much more upright, with my arms pretty straight out in front of me. Though with the stock bar/riser you'll definitely be in more a forward position initially I expect.

The following users liked this post:
big ron (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 04:44 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

****, I thought I wrote that already. Absolutely-F’n-Goddamn right they did. It’s a night and day difference. It’s a functional, proper rear brake with effectiveness I would expect from any bike. It’s funny, it was the FIRST thing I noticed within 20 seconds on my first ride home from the dealer. No more stomping on the pedal. Thank God.
That's interesting. Would love a look at the microfiche to see what's different parts-wise between the 2020 FXLRS and the plain jane FXLR. Ronnie's isn't showing the 2020 models yet. This might be an easy upgrade to the regular Low Rider.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:02 PM
big ron
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm between 6'2 and 3 and and I don't have any problems. Remember thought that I have tall bars, and somewhat short legs - 32" inseam. Which helps. So my riding position is much more upright, with my arms pretty straight out in front of me. Though with the stock bar/riser you'll definitely be in more a forward position initially I expect.
Thanks, we are built similar, 6'4" with a 34" inseam so a 10-12" rise in the bars should work.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:42 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Changed upper brake line only. From manifold under triple tree to MC. It’s a HD part. Line and adapter can be ordered by your dealer.
Do you know what part number you used for the brake line? Or the length of it?

Old 09-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by AJ88V
That's interesting. Would love a look at the microfiche to see what's different parts-wise between the 2020 FXLRS and the plain jane FXLR. Ronnie's isn't showing the 2020 models yet. This might be an easy upgrade to the regular Low Rider.
Yeah, the loss of Outpost Alaska’s parts fiche was devastating. Ronnie’s is usually a couple of years behind (they still don’t have Softails listed under 2019). OA’s was sooo much better.

Originally Posted by big ron
Thanks, we are built similar, 6'4" with a 34" inseam so a 10-12" rise in the bars should work.
I originally put 12” T’s on my 2019 LR, but felt it was a little high, so I went 10” and it was perfect for me. If there was an 11” bar that might have worked also, so I’d bet 12” bars would work well for you.

Originally Posted by 24v
Do you know what part number you used for the brake line? Or the length of it?
I can’t seem to find the work order, so I don’t have the part numbers. Sorry.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:46 PM
sbrooks64
Cruiser
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, I did it... I had been talking to my friend at my dealer about my "should I get one - after all I did to my Low Rider?" debate, and since they got their first one in today, he gave me a call. So naturally I had to check it out. Since I got the first 2016 LRS the day it came off the truck 3 years ago, I figured why break tradition... Got a very good deal on my trade, pulled off everything I wanted, and so it begins again...

And no other asses had been on the bike except HD personnel and now mine. I like that.

Bone stock.

Tonight my Ohlins, my Custom Dynamics lights, my mirrors and my seat go on, and the damn reflectors come off. Came home with a new SE tuner.

Ordered a Rinehart 2:1 which should be here on Tuesday (please spare me the warranty comments) and a +4" upper brake line which should be there on Wed. Once thats on, my 10" T's go on it. I also ordered the Memphis shades black clamps for the fork, and a black cafe fairing. Also next week. Not sure how much riding I'll do before the bars are on, as the stock ones are just too damn low for me, and I don't think I can coax any more out of the stock line for any riser extensions.

This thing is a bandit. The inverted forks on this frame is bananas. It handles like its on rails. Amazing the difference from the standard forks. And even with 50 miles taking it easy on the motor it feels great.

So, here we go again...!

Congrats and loving my LRS as well. I just hit 100 miles.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Windycityblues
Advanced
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Coming along great, keep it up. Giving me lots of ideas. Traded in my Twin cam cvo street glide today on a 20 LRS with the quarter fairing and they threw in a tallboy and rear pegs and mounts for the Mrs. and I couldn’t agree more with you on how fun this bike is. Blows my mind that a new Softail is more comfortable than an older touring bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by Windycityblues:
rauchman (01-30-2022), sbrooks64 (09-12-2019)

Quick Reply: 2020 Low Rider S owners