2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2020 Low Rider S owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 10:14 AM
daniel.sm
Road Master
Received 146 Likes on 86 Posts

General question here:

Yesterday I noticed that I was having a little difficulty while stopping on red lights and try to find neutral from the 1st gear....it seems to me that the gear pedal was a little stiff than it was before.

From the second to neutral is really easy.

Does anyone have the same difficulty?

Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Cepages
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I haven't tried yet Just getting over a bad cold - after flying. Figured with my luck someone with Corona breathed me on the flight. But I got better lol. But I've returned a seat to them once before so I don't expect a problem.

I'm 6'2" with 36" sleeve length. I'm going to give it another try in a couple of days just to make sure I wasn't being hasty.
You're a bit taller, little longer sleeved. I'm 6'0 and 34/35. Please let me know.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:23 AM
Cepages
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel.sm
General question here:

Yesterday I noticed that I was having a little difficulty while stopping on red lights and try to find neutral from the 1st gear....it seems to me that the gear pedal was a little stiff than it was before.

Engine hot or cold? Where was the idle?

Old 02-16-2020, 10:25 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Mchad,

Just bought a new horn to do the same thing you did....HD did not have an OEM horn (90 days and a hell of expensive), so I bought one from Bosch which is exactly the same.

What did you do to install the horn?

Thanks
Unbolted the original from the mounting tab, and installed the new one in the exact same location, using the same bracket and connectors. Literally a 2 minute job.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:38 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

General question here:

Adjust your clutch?

Easiest check is to pull the clutch handle until the cable begins to tighten. The lever should have a gap of about a nickle thickness from the mount. More than that and you should at least adjust the cable.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:57 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Adjust your clutch?

Easiest check is to pull the clutch handle until the cable begins to tighten. The lever should have a gap of about a nickle thickness from the mount. More than that and you should at least adjust the cable.
No adjustment on the stock cables. Would need to go into the clutch.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:42 AM
daniel.sm
Road Master
Received 146 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Cepages
Engine hot or cold? Where was the idle?
Hot engine...Idle at stoplight around 950

Old 02-16-2020, 03:32 PM
AJ88V
Road Master

No adjustment on the stock cables. Would need to go into the clutch.
You're saying the LRS doesn't have the adjuster on the left frame downtube? Like this one (shown at about 1:50 into the video below)?

If the OP has this spring-loaded adjuster, he could just adjust out excessive cable slack with the spring-loaded tensioner, shown at about 4:10 into the video.

Of course, if the bike has some real miles on it, then the full, proper clutch adjustment might be needed (if the shifting problem is indeed related to the clutch needing adjustment).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1UYBtZM4LI

Last edited by AJ88V; 02-16-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:42 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by AJ88V
You're saying the LRS doesn't have the adjuster on the left frame downtube? Like this one (shown at about 1:50 into the video below)?

If the OP has this spring-loaded adjuster, he could just adjust out excessive cable slack with the spring-loaded tensioner, shown at about 4:10 into the video.

Of course, if the bike has some real miles on it, then the full, proper clutch adjustment might be needed (if the shifting problem is indeed related to the clutch needing adjustment).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1UYBtZM4LI
Yes, like all softails it has the spring loaded self adjusting cable. That's why there is no "adjustment", the spring removed the appropriate play automagically. Nothing to adjust. It's either all or nothing.

I guess you were suggesting he use the automatic adjuster, so that's fine.

Last edited by Mchad; 02-16-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:47 PM
AJ88V
Road Master

Yes, like all softails it has the spring loaded self adjusting cable. That's why there is no "adjustment", the spring removed the appropriate play automagically. Nothing to adjust. It's either all or nothing.
LOL. You gotta pop the red clip OUT, let the spring take up the slack out of the cable, then push the clip back IN to "lock" the adjustment in place. See 4:34 in the video. He's pretty funny.

Quick Reply: 2020 Low Rider S owners