2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2020 Low Rider S owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
I’m interested in something I haven’t seen mentioned.....mid controls.....are you a fan or will you move them forward? How tall are you?
I’m 6’2” and I always prefer mids. I don’t feel like forwards give me the control that I prefer. The floorboards on my Road King are as far forward as I would want to be. Never have, and never will install forwards. But that’s just me.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:16 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,912 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Nice.
Break it in all nice and sweet then let us know how hard it rips, and handles the twisties.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:29 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

I don't know too much about the rear shocks on these bikes. How many different version/lengths come on Softails? Which one comes on the SLRS?

Old 08-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Cruise control switch pack and flush mount gas cap/fake cap kit are being delivered by my friendly neighborhood parts manager tonight. He passes by my neighborhood on his way home and we frequently meet off my exit when stuff comes in that I’ve ordered... great guy.

Still slightly annoyed that that they didn’t include cruise, but whatever. My +4 upper brake line comes in on Wed, and I have a 10am appt Thurs to get it installed. 6 more days with that miserable bar/riser. I feel like a kid on a tricycle. Have I mentioned how much I hate it? Lol. My 10” Wild1 chopper bar is here waiting, along with some AlloyArt Gooden Tite bushings. Well, rebranded to HD poly bushings actually, but AA makes them for HD. So hopefully Thursday night I’ll be in a comfortable riding position!

I’ll post the cap kit later probably. Should take all of 5 min to install. This time I’m going to wrap a few wraps of painters tape around it to evenly space the trim ring. The last time it was a little tight on one side and made it a slight pita to get the cap to pop up occasionally.

Last edited by Mchad; 08-30-2019 at 06:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
P51Driver (08-30-2019), Thingfish (08-31-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Herrick
Road Captain
Received 196 Likes on 122 Posts

That's cool Mchad. I've been lurking here for almost a year and I thought what you did to your Softail Low Rider was great. Enjoy your new bike.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:13 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Didn't get around to installing the caps last night. Had some beer interference.

Went for a spirited ride this morning now that I have about 150 on the odo and I can go to 3500-4k without feeling guilty (though I did a few WOT blasts with some solid engine braking, the very first ride home from the dealer to give the rings a good initial seat) and the tires and brakes are ready.

I gotta tell you, I can say with complete confidence and honesty that this thing handles as close to my FXR as I'm able to tell a difference. I get road feedback like I haven't felt on a HD before. These inverted forks are the ****. I can't wait to see them with the Ohlins NIX 30 carts that will be in it in a couple of months. And, as much an improvement the Arlen Ness big rotor was to my LR, these brakes are exponentially better. Just fantastic. Maybe its just in my head, due to an easier lever feel, but I have giant meathook hands that have no problem with grip. All I know is I went "wow" when I grabbed some this morning. Even the rear is better, which I don't see how its possible,but the hill I was bitching about my LR rolling back on unless I stomped on the pedal, holds fast now... Go figure.

So far, I have ZERO regrets on my purchase. Except for the handlebars and mufflers lol. Soon to be remedied. I've got some Tab performance slip ons I will probably put on tomorrow to hold me over until the Rinehart arrives next week...

Last edited by Mchad; 08-31-2019 at 09:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mchad:
jeffro09 (09-01-2019), Thingfish (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 10:30 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
...Ohlins NIX 30 carts...
These are on my long-term goal list. You planning on doing the install yourself?

Old 08-31-2019, 12:45 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
These are on my long-term goal list. You planning on doing the install yourself?
I was thinking about it, but looking at the instructions it looks a bit more complicated then a standard fork, which I’ve only done once before. I will probably send the forks down to Howard Messner over the winter and let him do it.

The following users liked this post:
1SG_Chuck (08-04-2020)
Old 08-31-2019, 12:55 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Not getting any work or miles in today. Floating on the Hudson with my female and some good ole’ NY Sabretts hot dogs on the grille and way too much beer and tequila. Going to sleep here. Tomorrow morning I will prob put my Tab slip ons on the bike and flash the SE stage 1. And enjoy my impending hangover with much a louder exhaust!

Old 09-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Mchad
Club Member

After fighting off the hangover from last nights debauchery, I got to work. Installed some Tab Performance slip ons I had laying around, flashed the SE Stage 1 tune and went for a ride. Did about 140 miles today, and man I ache. I’m just not into these low bars (have I said that before?). I can’t WAIT to get the brake line so I can install my 10” T’s. Anyway, it’s so cool to feel the motor break in. After only 200 miles, maybe I’m nuts, but it feels like everything is loosening up, getting smoother, and more power. Of course the flash and mufflers may have something to add, but it feels just great.

At one point during the day I stopped by my dealer and casually asked the sales manager who sold me the LRS if he wouldn’t mind if I peeled off the black “defiance” trim rings I installed over the chrome gauge rings on my trade, and he said sure. Which is awesome. The stupid things are like $70 each. Obscene, honestly. But when I was blacking out, I couldn’t have silver gauge rings. No way. Anyway, they are only held on with double sided tape, so they came off easily enough with one of those plastic trim pry bars I borrowed from a tech I know.

So I got home and got to work on some cosmetics. Started with the flush mount gas cap and fake cap. You have to remove the existing left side fake cap, and the instructions suggest fishing line to slice through the double sided tape holding the base on. However I’ve done this so many times it seems, the easier way is to just grab The whole cap and twist clockwise. It just comes right off with practically no DS tape left on the tank. A quick wipe with some adhesive remover, and a wipe of alcohol on the mounting surface of the new cover. I made a square with painters tape marking where the new cap will go, and peeled and stuck. The gas cap was easy enough, after having done it a half dozen times in my life, it went on perfectly. Installed the gauge trim as well and am left with this:

I think both clean up the tank nicely. However I still can’t get over a total of $280 retail to do it...

The following 3 users liked this post by Mchad:
Bowhunter8607 (09-01-2019), Marty_307 (07-18-2021), RoyP (04-18-2021)

Quick Reply: 2020 Low Rider S owners