2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Considering a '19 Fatboy 114

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 09:29 PM
shackleford rusty
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by in2harleys
The pipe is a Supertrapp Bootlegger. I saw a breakout on the weekend with the same pipe, except is was ceramic coated black.....which I will be doing to mine soon too.
thanks in2.

did not mean to hijack.

even though i ride a BO, i can contribute.

love the 240 rear / 114 ci combo. nothing short of bad ***; can get a 2nd gear scratch and 3rd gear chirp... and, im taking it easy, as im still breaking it in. no pipes, a/c, or tune yet either.

The following users liked this post:
in2harleys (08-07-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 02:13 PM
Felix 808
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
That is true, and ironic that you should mention it. I just got back from a ride and was observing that compared to other bikes I've had, including my VTX 1800 ridden darkside, my Fat Boy does require a definite consistency on the counter-steering throughout the curves. But, as I said it's just something that one gets used after putting miles on the bike. Too many reviewers with too few miles on the model make a big thing out of what really amounts to little when it comes to the way the bike handles. All in all it's just the price we pay for the look. Not a steep one either imo.
I agree it's not bad & I can carve mine through the bends just fine. Get some seat time & it'll come together.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:16 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 434 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Msquad

I put risers on my FB and didn't change anything else (cables etc.). Made it way more comfortable.
Ive been wanting to do this to mine, mainly just to move the bars back but not up for starters. Can you give me some info on the risers you used...

Old 08-09-2019, 06:47 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by TnFatboy
Ive been wanting to do this to mine, mainly just to move the bars back but not up for starters. Can you give me some info on the risers you used...
This: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-09-5626909--1
4".

I think anymore than 4" I'd need to replace at least the brake line, but with the 4" didn't have to replace anything else.
Rode 70 miles yesterday in comfort compared to before, felt hunched over, now I ride in a nice chill position.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM
TJ_Ben
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Msquad

I put risers on my FB and didn't change anything else (cables etc.). Made it way more comfortable.
This is EXACTLY what I was going for. Screen, sissy bar, backrest pad, maybe engine guard? Thanks for the part #, already added to my wishlist.

pondscum (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 06:17 AM
Msquad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TJ_Ben
This is EXACTLY what I was going for. Screen, sissy bar, backrest pad, maybe engine guard? Thanks for the part #, already added to my wishlist.
I have been on the fence about an engine guard. Not sure if I want to keep it clean looking or not. Saw a used '18 at the dealer this past weekend w/ a black engine guard and it didn't look too bad but I still can't decide.

Last edited by Msquad; 08-13-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:57 AM
Msquad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TJ_Ben
...and while I was thinking about it...the things you can't really see on the bike that I did - the CD probeam LED lights are very nice, I have the heal shifter (always like that), blacked out primary cover, a different rear sprocket since I hated the HD gray one, alarm siren and relocated the license plate/signals to behind the tire.

TJ_Ben (09-11-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 AM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I love this bike's low and muscular profile, I here ya about keeping it as clean as possible. I added the black stache' guard and I believe it keeps the clean look. Since its black, most non-riders seem to barely notice it and or think it came as part of the bike/frame. I only added it after a few butt puckering moments where that stupid kickstand almost failed me. I'll keep it on until I find a better solution to the kickstand or change out the floorboards for forwards.

pondscum (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Msquad
Road Captain

Here is a couple of pics of the bike at the dealer. Not the mustache one but just so people can see the difference I thought I'd post it.

Here is a couple of pics of the bike at the dealer. Not the mustache one but just so people can see the difference I thought I'd post it.

TJ_Ben (09-11-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Felix 808
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MrNovember80
I love this bike's low and muscular profile.... I only added it after a few butt puckering moments where that stupid kickstand almost failed me.
I agree, love the look. Also agree that kickstand is lousy at best. I have to check it 2 -3 times shaking the bike around before I trust it.

catalac (09-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Considering a '19 Fatboy 114