2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Heritage Tour Pak Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Rumbles
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heritage Tour Pak Reviews

The Reviews of the Harley Davidson 53000598 Tour Pak are inconsistent, some say it's great quality, some it's poor. Ever one agrees that it looks great on the Heritage and so do I. Does anyone know if some of the reported issues have been resolved?

Top Answer

08-07-2019, 11:58 PM
Herbkell
Tourer
Received 114 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Look what followed me home from the HD store....

I have been an occasional contributor to the Touring forum as I owned two Street Glides (one in Vancouver BC which is my home and the other in Palm Desert CA where I escape for a good part of the winter) I sold the Vancouver Street Glide a year ago and have been looking for lighter bike that easier to manoeuver for a 70 year old with bad knees.

I tried the Switchback but it didn't do anything for me and had pretty much decided on a used 2016 Heritage Softail Classic, Went to the dealer for a final test ride and decision this morning where I discovered a "new/used" blue and white 2019 FLHCS. The bike has an interesting story...It was purchased in March from another Vancouver dealer by a slightly built 60 year old novice female rider. By the time it was ready to be delivered she had wisely had second thoughts and wanted to swap the bike for a Sportster. The dealer was very uncooperative and sympathetic and unwilling to make her a reasonable deal. She visited my dealer and was made a better offer and they purchased the bike from her and got her the Sportster she probably should have had in the first place. I don't know the details but I suspect it cost her a fair amount of money but obviously less than the original dealer's quote.The warranty has been running since early April but the bike had only 48 kms on it from the two testers before me. The bike is stock with engine guards, different grips, and alarm and the license plate has been relocated.

I test rode the back and was floored by the difference between it and the older 103's that I have ridden. Lighter comfortable easy to maneuver and who knew Harley bikes had suspensions? I have spent a decent part of my grandkids inheritance on trying to get a decent suspension on my touring bikes.What really sealed it for me however was the new 114 which on the seat of the pants dyno compares very favourably with my Stage 2 Street Glides. Due to the unusual nature of it being a new/used bike and the fact the warranty was ticking I was able to make a deal at almost $5K off list and they threw in decent parts and service credit. So to make a long story short I spent more than I had planned to on the bike but I am a happy camper

I have waded through all 160 pages of this thread but I am sure thatI will be pestering you learned forum folks with lots of questions = please be kind :-)

Old 07-21-2019, 08:43 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

I don't know... But I thought that I've read that some of the initial problems (vinyl coming unglued etc...) has been addressed.

Personally, of the HD tour paks for the Heritage, I like this one...

The stock seat is going to be replaced. So are the stock bags (probably going with the Leather Pros bags). So the black little studs/chicklet theme isn't going to survive anyway. I'd prefer the hardware on this tour pak to be chrome or brushed nickel. I may buy it anyway and take the hardware off of it and have it chromed. Overall though, it's the best looking tour pak that I've seen for the Heritage.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:45 PM
MadMouser
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got the smooth vinyl version (p/n 53000570) and it's done well. I just did a 2600 mile trip, which included about 100 miles in borderline severe weather, and had no problems with water getting in.

The following users liked this post:
pondscum (08-08-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 AM
CGURRO
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a used HD tour pack with mounting rack (2018 purchase) for my 2019 Heritage. It's the studded version. This must have been an early one with the vinyl/leather glued separating from the shell issue. I would be P.O. If I bought it new.
I think for the price, Viking Bags tour pack is a much nicer choice.

Reverend DG (03-09-2020)
Old 07-22-2019, 06:04 PM
nazgull2k1@yahoo.com
Novice
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

check out Vikingbags.com That's where I got mine, and lemme tell ya, beats the brakes off the HD versions in quality, and especially in price. They got a sale atm for like 25% off cause of sturgis.. .. you can pick up a sweet tourpack for like 270 bucks tops. When compared to the 600ish dollars HD wants, its worth a look.

The following 3 users liked this post by nazgull2k1@yahoo.com:
Mantruck1963 (03-25-2020), pondscum (08-08-2019), Reverend DG (03-09-2020)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:58 PM
Herbkell
Tourer
Default Look what followed me home from the HD store....

I have been an occasional contributor to the Touring forum as I owned two Street Glides (one in Vancouver BC which is my home and the other in Palm Desert CA where I escape for a good part of the winter) I sold the Vancouver Street Glide a year ago and have been looking for lighter bike that easier to manoeuver for a 70 year old with bad knees.

I tried the Switchback but it didn't do anything for me and had pretty much decided on a used 2016 Heritage Softail Classic, Went to the dealer for a final test ride and decision this morning where I discovered a "new/used" blue and white 2019 FLHCS. The bike has an interesting story...It was purchased in March from another Vancouver dealer by a slightly built 60 year old novice female rider. By the time it was ready to be delivered she had wisely had second thoughts and wanted to swap the bike for a Sportster. The dealer was very uncooperative and sympathetic and unwilling to make her a reasonable deal. She visited my dealer and was made a better offer and they purchased the bike from her and got her the Sportster she probably should have had in the first place. I don't know the details but I suspect it cost her a fair amount of money but obviously less than the original dealer's quote.The warranty has been running since early April but the bike had only 48 kms on it from the two testers before me. The bike is stock with engine guards, different grips, and alarm and the license plate has been relocated.

I test rode the back and was floored by the difference between it and the older 103's that I have ridden. Lighter comfortable easy to maneuver and who knew Harley bikes had suspensions? I have spent a decent part of my grandkids inheritance on trying to get a decent suspension on my touring bikes.What really sealed it for me however was the new 114 which on the seat of the pants dyno compares very favourably with my Stage 2 Street Glides. Due to the unusual nature of it being a new/used bike and the fact the warranty was ticking I was able to make a deal at almost $5K off list and they threw in decent parts and service credit. So to make a long story short I spent more than I had planned to on the bike but I am a happy camper

I have waded through all 160 pages of this thread but I am sure thatI will be pestering you learned forum folks with lots of questions = please be kind :-)

The following 10 users liked this post by Herbkell:
Calton1 (08-14-2019), DESERT VIPER (12-08-2022), Guthrie52 (09-02-2023), Ivabign (02-02-2021), pkakit (03-24-2020), pondscum (08-18-2019), PSYOPSGM (07-23-2024), rauchman (09-02-2019), RENARELLO (05-05-2020), Shawn Prescher (09-24-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2019, 01:44 AM
Herbkell
Tourer

Posted in the wrong thread...

Old 08-09-2019, 01:11 AM
CSX66
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Viking bags tour pack on the HD quick release bracket on my 18 Heritage. Qualiity seems OK but my daughter doesn't much like the backrest pad as it's quite high and prefers the regular stand alone HD back rest I also have.

Seems pretty water proof. And the vinyl is a close match for the bags. I like the quick release but I have to buy some locking catches. Means I can easily remove it and stash it on the shelf when I don't need it.

A single lock to close it and no straps to mess around with. The only thing I dont like is the key doesn't match the saddle bags.

Cheers
Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by CSX66:
CB5150 (12-22-2022), Reverend DG (03-09-2020)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:29 AM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the Viking TP mounted in solo rider position. I use it for longer trips only, the remove it for daily use.

The fit and finish inside is way better than H-D (haven't seen any more recent revisions though) and much more afforable.

I agree with the previous comment on the back rest. It is uncomfortable and high. I removed it and had it reworked since this photo, but have not yet completed the reassembly.

CB5150 (12-22-2022)
Old 08-11-2019, 07:34 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,921 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I have the H-D tourpak that matches the bike. It seems to me all the reported problems are addressed (purchased July 2019). I modded the base plate to move it an inch more forward in the solo position and added an H-D circulator back-rest pad.

The following 6 users liked this post by Hulkss:
CB5150 (12-22-2022), HrishiP (02-06-2021), Lou_D (10-30-2019), pondscum (08-18-2019), RENARELLO (04-17-2020), Shawn Prescher (09-24-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Heritage Tour Pak Reviews