Rear wheel off center!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 12:56 AM
Isak
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel off center!

Hey guys!
My fatbob 2019 rear wheel is off center to the left by around 1,5 cm (around 1 inch), when looking straight ahead on the rear fender, what the hell is up with that? Is this something that harley users have to live with, since there seem to be no way to adjust this?

Have u guys had any experince with this issue?

I might me wrong but when i look at the tire from back straight, it doesnt seem like its perfectly straight to the frame, might be a trick of the eye, but it seems like this cant be adjusted either, cause the brakeplate is aligned with the "brakebox with pad" or what u guys call it , wich is screwed in to the frame and seems to fit the plate perfect.

Here is a picture, it seems like one of the fenderarms is bent upwards or the other one is to low. And you can clearly see the shift to the left. Sent this picture to the dealer, he said it was normal?

Anyways, thanks for taking youre time on my post, and im really curious to see what you have to say ppl!

Old 06-06-2019, 01:37 AM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

I have noticed that my rear tire on my 2018 Softail is a little bit off-center when looking at the tire from the back of the bike. I have also noticed this off center tire situation with other new Softails.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:59 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

Welvome to the forum Isak

My FXFBS is perfect in the center so no problem there, my new FXBB was about 8mm off center but that wasn't a problem since I respoked the wheel wit a larger rim and place
it in the center myself with the spokes adjustment against the hub but that is not possible with a cast wheel.

If your belt is in line then there is not much you can do about it, otherweis you could play with the spacers to adjust. Now everything is possible but not without the correct lathe .

Old 06-06-2019, 02:10 AM
Isak
Stage III

Ok, so couldnt it be the rear fender that ha a bent fender arm? So replacing those may correct it?

Old 06-06-2019, 02:22 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

That is a possibilty but at your picture the fender looks oke to me, if you look at the raster on the picture you see a small difference in height
on the 2 indicator screws inside the fender but you are sitting on the bike so that is hard to say. You better put the bike in a wheel clamp or so
and check again.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:35 AM
Isak
Stage III

Yea i will do that, but if you look at the lowest, most shadowy part o the fender and compare the left to the right side of the wheel youll se it more clearly.

I will let them do a checkup at the bike when its due for the first service

I have noticed the "waaaawaaaawaaaaawaaaa" sound at low speeds, some other post said it was from the beltdrive, so maybe it is a bit off line too.

Anyways thank you guys!

Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

That is a possibillity to, the wheel could be not straight set in the frame and give you that wrong sight.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Isak
Yea i will do that, but if you look at the lowest, most shadowy part o the fender and compare the left to the right side of the wheel youll se it more clearly.

I will let them do a checkup at the bike when its due for the first service

I have noticed the "waaaawaaaawaaaaawaaaa" sound at low speeds, some other post said it was from the beltdrive, so maybe it is a bit off line too.

Anyways thank you guys!
Mine starts doing the belt whine every time they adjust the belt tension. I take it back to have them loosen it up a bit to the loose side of the spec and it goes away.

As far as the fender it does look a bit off but if you notice the top of the pic, the seat seems a bit out of line as well so it maybe the fender struts are a bit off like you stated.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 06-06-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,415 Likes on 5,015 Posts

Wheels are not always in center of fender...

Of center wheels, front and rear, are not uncommon.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

If the back wheel we're off center or out of alignment it would cause issues with your rear brakes and probably over heat the rotor. I don't think the back tire has been centered in the fender on any Harley I've owned. Some say the back is offset purposely to accommodate the offset center of weight caused by the primary...

Last edited by FLS103; 06-06-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel off center!