2018 Fatbob Bung King crash bar install

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:26 AM
MMNCS(SS)
Advanced
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2018 Fatbob Bung King crash bar install

Hi all,

New member here. Just installed the bung king two step crash bar on my bike today. Install went pretty well. I had read some neg reviews about the holes not lining up, and I experienced the same issues. I ended up drilling out the mounting holes in the crash bar to 5/8" and after that had no more issues.

I did get the bung king rear peg/slider but have not installed it yet. It looks like you have to remove the swing arm nut to remove the left peg (left sitting on bike facing foward). The peg is captured by the nut and wont unthread unless nut is removed (please correct me if I am wrong *pic included) I can definitely remove the nut, my question is reinstalling it. The service manual states 3 or four torques in stages and the referenced procedure is reinstalling the swing arm section. Does anybody have any experience with this install? Any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:05 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Once you remove the foot peg from the foot peg stand off there is a bolt inside said stand off (its hollow) bolted to the frame.

The following users liked this post:
MMNCS(SS) (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 03:42 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

Not being negative, just an observation that I feel is a safety issue. The bottom of that crash bar looks like it will drag and greatly decrease your lean angle. I would ride carefully until you discover your new boundaries, dragging a hard part can cause a tip over.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:04 AM
MMNCS(SS)
Advanced

Originally Posted by modular
Once you remove the foot peg from the foot peg stand off there is a bolt inside said stand off (its hollow) bolted to the frame.
Thank you. I definitely needed that outside opinion, to show me it was simpler than I was thinking (seems silly now). I did not disassemble the peg first, Haha. I was about to make that a lot more difficult than it needed to be. I very much appreciate the help, should be installed in no time!!!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:25 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

MMNCS, looks good and I'm glad you got the answer to your passenger peg dilemma. Beware of the bottom slider dragging in the corners at first.

Originally Posted by FLS103
Not being negative, just an observation that I feel is a safety issue. The bottom of that crash bar looks like it will drag and greatly decrease your lean angle. I would ride carefully until you discover your new boundaries, dragging a hard part can cause a tip over.
Forum member, FatBob2018, has the same bar and said it drags at first until the slider grinds down to an angle then it doesn't drag anymore. He said it's due to the slider extending the end of the bars by an inch or so.

I thought the same thing about this crash bar and have been hesitant to get one because of it. The whole reason I swapped out my exhaust was due to dragging it in the corners. Don't want to add another hard piece that drags while in the twisties and possibly make me crash. I was thinking of cutting the lower bar shorter to help with dragging if I got one but am still hesitant.

I'm sure the reason they designed the crash bar the way they did is to keep all parts of the bike from actually making contact with the ground in the event one goes down. If the lower bar is shorter it may cause the bike to contact the ground if dropped or in a crash.

On the other hand, once the slider is ground down at an angle then it may be no more of a dragging hazard than the foot peg mount which seems to protrude slightly more than the lower bar does but sits considerably higher. I'm sure FatBob2018 can chime in with more accurate information on this since he has been running the same bar for a while now.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 06-05-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Here's a thread where he reported the scraping. He did in fact say he no longer had it drag after the slider ground down a bit. It's not as big of a deal as I have somehow made it out to be so I'll be getting one soon as well. It will be nice to have that bit of protection for the bike if it goes down.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...hway-pegs.html

Old 06-05-2019, 10:33 PM
MMNCS(SS)
Advanced

Thx for all the replies guys, much appreciated. Got the rear sliders installed this afternoon with no real issues. Took it out for a 50 mile test ride with some curves. No scraping yet but I am not super aggressive with the leaning either. I definitely have what I saw on another thread referred to as "chicken strips" (hahaha). I did have to trim the exhaust shield to make a better fit, but I think it turned out well and was just more of the very minor fitment issues some people report. This is definitely a do it yourself mod if you are comfortable with no instruction and modifications to the parts you bought. I would do it again.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:39 PM
MMNCS(SS)
Advanced

Also forgot to mention that I did throw my legs over the top bars while cruising and it was decent. It was a nice way to stretch my legs completely straight, not sure how long I could ride like that yet but is a viable option. Feet on the bars might be a little weird though. I'm 6ft tall and the top bar was resting halfway between bottom of my calf and my ankle riding on the stock seat.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:39 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,471 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Glad to see you got it sorted out. As I was reading it I was like ... I don't remember having to take off the swingarm bolt...

Other than that, yes, reiterating what BowHunter said -- the delrin sliders on the bottom of the crash bar stick out quite a bit further than the actual metal does. The metal bar itself will not (as far as I can determine) scrape before other hard parts do. But the sliders will, it freaked me out a bit when I first encountered it but now both sides are nicely shaved off and I can say that my boot drags before the delrin sliders on the crash bar do. Those sliders could be shrunk down by 1/2" and still serve their purpose, and that would eliminate any prospect of them dragging.

So, yeah, go out to a parking lot and do some tight circles to get those bottom sliders ground down, so you don't encounter it in a hairy situation...

Old 06-06-2019, 06:55 PM
MMNCS(SS)
Advanced

Originally Posted by FatBob2018

So, yeah, go out to a parking lot and do some tight circles to get those bottom sliders ground down, so you don't encounter it in a hairy situation...
Will do! Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2018 Fatbob Bung King crash bar install