Mid controls on FXDR

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019 | 02:42 AM
cgaulzetti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohnnyMagic
Jeez 1510.00 ?
Glad I have machine tools!

I would mount them lower. Below primary, not middle. Everybody is different.
Made adjustable carbon rear sets for my Buell.
Really glad I had options as what looked right wasn't even close.

There are a lot on that "Battle"? thread.

I would design with the LEAST amount of parts ;-)

JM

yeah- it's kind of crazy but as i jump down the worm hole of trying to make my Street Bob handle better, go faster, and sound and look the way I want stuff gets crazy. i get that a hand made part like this with such a small target market costs this much. honestly- it was the first thing i went looking for after i brought the bike home. i wound up doing a Whiplash seat and Lucky Dave's San Diego bars and Memphis Shades fairing first- and the stock mids were at least livable. (With the stock set up they didn't really work at all for my 6 foot 3 all legs and arms physique- the new seat helped so much. I got it customized to sit me a couple of inched further back than Whiplash's normal design.) Anyway- I was looking for rear sets and NO ONE makes those for Softails. Most tall guys seem to want forward or super forward controls-

But hey! if you want a project and can make custom carbon rear sets for Street Bob at a reasonable price you'd have one super happy customer!

Old 06-27-2019 | 07:57 AM
JohnnyMagic
Road Captain

Rear sets for a street bob?
Can't even picture that.

I noticed you could get everything from a different model for "bolt-on"

Making parts is cool but "time is money" Unless the parts are really expensive HD OEM?

Still getting my ducks in a row to make this bike happen. Will see how it feels.
Can see having to do bars before foot controls?

With the Buell it was basically a "plate" with hardware . Re-used the stock stuff and only needed a few things if I recall.
Sport bike rear sets were available for short money.
There was also a shop "Rocky's" in Flint Michigan you could get all kinds of stuff from. (back room like a swap meet full of take-offs and parted out bikes)

What did you have in mind?
See anything like what you want to get ideas?

JM

Old 06-28-2019 | 08:50 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scudda
https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ha...rNiCazw3u_c1-o

Check out the last bike. It's a fat Bob with mid controls. I saw this bike in person and they said the control kit was a prototype going into production..You might want to contact shaffer's HD , they built the bike
Looks like that design goes over the primary to control shifting, not thru it like the MoCo does.

Old 07-02-2019 | 11:49 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
Did you change the inner primary ? .... at my knowlidge it is not needed to change that one since they are the all same, the al have the prep for the mids.

For example, this is the inner primary from a Fat Bob 114 , I marked it yellow.

Even more, I think you can also convert the outer cover to, there is a kind of "plug" on it that closes the hole in the innercover.
If I have the oppertunity, I look at this and drill one open.

Seems like that would make things much simpler to change to mids if those are in fact for the mid control shifter shaft and simply need to be drilled out! Let us know how it goes when you get around to it.

Old 03-20-2020 | 09:17 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by azfxdr
Mid controls are on!
How bout' some pics ya tease.

The following users liked this post:
Chillis (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020 | 07:37 PM
azfxdr
|
Novice
Default Pics attached

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
How bout' some pics ya tease.
Sorry forgot to post pics. Yes I changed inner primary and had a spacer made due to thinner inner on fxbb. Didn’t want to half *** it by trying to use the original inner primary that doesn’t have the boss milled in, etc and everything else.

Finished product

FXBB Mids purchased

Installed

New inner Primary from FXBB and Spacer since I have 249 rear tire.

New Outer primary wrinkle black from FXBB

New spacer for foot peg. I also had to space kick stand out. Since I have air suspension I now need to shorten the kickstand

The following 6 users liked this post by azfxdr:
Chillis (03-23-2020), FranBunnyFFXII (03-23-2020), havinabubble (08-22-2023), HuntWhenever (03-23-2020), JohnnyMagic (03-21-2020), Mattbastard (03-21-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-21-2020 | 08:58 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

I like it, thanks for the update.

So what was the total damage for this conversion? I do like the FXDR but the forwards on it are very unappealing to me. I'd also like a slightly higher set of handlebars on it.

Old 03-21-2020 | 11:21 PM
azfxdr
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I like it, thanks for the update.

So what was the total damage for this conversion? I do like the FXDR but the forwards on it are very unappealing to me. I'd also like a slightly higher set of handlebars on it.
1-2k but I did some other things at same time. Cost due to scanning and machining first time parts and buying new primary’s.

Old 03-22-2020 | 01:37 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
Seems like that would make things much simpler to change to mids if those are in fact for the mid control shifter shaft and simply need to be drilled out! Let us know how it goes when you get around to it.
A friend of mine did it on his FXFB, the inner didn't need a change, it was open, the only thing he need to drill was the outer primary. I don't need mid controls, I always change everything to forwards., that was the
first thing I changed about my FXBB, away with the mids and on with the forwards.

Old 03-22-2020 | 11:00 AM
SoCaRider
Road Captain

I like the satin black rough primary the gloss one on my bike scars up to easily just from my boots or cleaning

Quick Reply: Mid controls on FXDR