2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Installing a JW Speaker adaptive 2 headlight on Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts
Default Installing a JW Speaker adaptive 2 headlight on Low Rider

I had a JW Speaker Adaptive headlight on my Low Rider S, and since my Softail LR came with the stock LED headlight, I left well enough alone for a while. But as spring has come I’m finding myself on the road after dark a lot and am noticing the difference between the two lights.

So I had my finger poised on the button to order one from Amazon, when I came across a member here selling the exact model I wanted (8690). So we made a deal last night and it should be on its way soon.

To to make it work, I had to order the HD LED headlight bucket, since the 2019 LR lamp isn’t a standard bucket and you can’t just swap out the unit. You have to change the bucket. Not a big deal, the new bucket is about $60, with another 10 or so in a new connector and pins, since the Softail bike side electrical connector is different then what comes on the bucket.

So I ordered:

67700093b - LED headlight housing
74114-98BK - 4 place connector
74154-98 - some doo-dad that goes in the connector
74191-98 - crimp on pins for connector (need 4)

Looking at the electrical diagram the connector has ground, low power, high power and “running/position” power. Now I know this position light is usually only used outside the US, and while the JW headlight does have a 4th wire for it, I’m wondering if it is in fact active/needed on a US model?

Since the headlight bucket I ordered only has a three conductor harness, if I can avoid having to fish a fourth wire through the harness, I’d rather go that way.

Anyone know if it’s used, or can be left out?

Old 04-21-2019, 10:21 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

I'll be following this as I plan on eventually putting an adaptive headlight in the Sport Glide.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 PM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 112 Posts

According to JW Speaker the red running position wire is not used in the US -- it's only used for international installations. Leave the red wire disconnected and tape the end up.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:40 AM
Mchad
Club Member

It looks like the HD LED bucket I ordered does in fact come with a 4 wire harness. So when I cut off the Dyna style connector and install the newer connector the Softail uses, it’ll be wired like the original. Since the LED bucket uses a H4 style connector in the bucket, it also has a 4th loose wire, which I’ll tape off as well.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:41 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,309 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Put an insulated female connector on it, if you decide to add running lights it can be used for that.
It goes off when you activate the Hi beams.
There's 3 different versions of the 8690M and 8690A and the new 8690A.
The M isn't adaptive, the old A wasn't adaptive in Hi beam, the new A is adaptive in both hi and low beam

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Put an insulated female connector on it, if you decide to add running lights it can be used for that.
It goes off when you activate the Hi beams.
There's 3 different versions of the 8690M and 8690A and the new 8690A.
The M isn't adaptive, the old A wasn't adaptive in Hi beam, the new A is adaptive in both hi and low beam
8690A, series 2 is what I’m getting. Should be here today.

Last edited by Mchad; 04-30-2019 at 07:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RANGER73 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:18 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,309 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Wish it was available when I got mine.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Got it installed a few days ago. Great headlight. I don’t ride at night as much as I used to, but while test riding, it is a huge improvement in the turns. Even on the straights it’s an improvement over the stock LED.

Only ran ran into one issue, the bucket is made for the older style headlight block, which is narrower then the new softail style. Fortunately I installed a relo block from Memphis Shades to move the bucket forward a bit to better fit the cafe fairing, and it has removable spacers to increase the width. Once I removed them, it fit not problem. However if you were to try and install this on a stock Softail setup you would need to pick up a replacement block.

Wiring was a piece of cake, cut off the stock connector, crimped on the correct pins, followed the wiring diagram in the service manual, and plug and play. Even connected the unused running light wire since it was there... Done ask me why.

The only thing left is to try the black “defiance” headlight trim ring will fit the older style bucket. It’s more squared off then the stock one, and looks better under the fairing. Probably won’t fit, but I may give it a try.

I’ll get a photo up soon. I also want to see if there is a way to disable the self test pattern these lights display when first powered up. Kinda annoying, but not the end of the world. Basically lights every LED in sequence. Looks silly to me. Oh well.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:12 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Sounds good. How much did the bucket move forward with the relocation block? My light currently fits in my Sport Glide fairing nicely, and I wouldn't want to move it too much. I may just wait for JW Speaker to come out with one for the 2018+ Softails.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:30 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
Sounds good. How much did the bucket move forward with the relocation block? My light currently fits in my Sport Glide fairing nicely, and I wouldn't want to move it too much. I may just wait for JW Speaker to come out with one for the 2018+ Softails.
Its got two positions. One 1.5” forward and one 2” forward. Made for their fairings specifically I think.

Quick Reply: Installing a JW Speaker adaptive 2 headlight on Low Rider