2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Sport glide bar swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Chicagowin
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sport glide bar swap questions

I want to change my bars out on the sport glide even though they feel almost perfect. I’d like them maybe 2-3 inches higher and the controls to be in about 2 inches. I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos on swapping the bars. The one I watched was very detailed, but he put on ape hangers, so clutch and brake lines needed to be changed out. I should be fine with stock.
Since im not changing the lines out there is no need for me to open up the trans cover correct? All I’m really doing is removing the wiring and fishing it through new bars and changing the controls over.

Any suggestions and pics of your bars would be good. Right now I’m looking towards the chubby pullback drag bars on denniskirk.com

Old 04-12-2019, 12:06 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Don't change out your bars if they "feel almost perfect". You've already got the right bend for your style. All you need are some different risers to get the bars higher and back a little.

Here are some from Harley that should do exactly what you want: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...ebar-riser-kit

That's the top quality stuff at the top price (maybe 15-20% cheaper from Surdyke). But if you don't mind aftermarket, you can probably find a nice set for $50 to $60, or maybe a used OEM set from another bike cheaper.

The best part is that this will be a really easy job. Much easier than swapping the bars!

Old 04-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Chicagowin
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJ88V
Don't change out your bars if they "feel almost perfect". You've already got the right bend for your style. All you need are some different risers to get the bars higher and back a little.

Here are some from Harley that should do exactly what you want: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...ebar-riser-kit

That's the top quality stuff at the top price (maybe 15-20% cheaper from Surdyke). But if you don't mind aftermarket, you can probably find a nice set for $50 to $60, or maybe a used OEM set from another bike cheaper.

The best part is that this will be a really easy job. Much easier than swapping the bars!
thats a good option!! But I don’t like the look of the stock bars. I want something black and not as wide.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Ralibur
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicagowin
I want to change my bars out on the sport glide even though they feel almost perfect. I’d like them maybe 2-3 inches higher and the controls to be in about 2 inches. I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos on swapping the bars. The one I watched was very detailed, but he put on ape hangers, so clutch and brake lines needed to be changed out. I should be fine with stock.
Since im not changing the lines out there is no need for me to open up the trans cover correct? All I’m really doing is removing the wiring and fishing it through new bars and changing the controls over.

Any suggestions and pics of your bars would be good. Right now I’m looking towards the chubby pullback drag bars on denniskirk.com
You may want to look into the Luck Dave 13 bars. They have a pull back and are 28 inches across whereas the Sport Glide's width is around 33 1/2 inches. From a quick measurement I took it looks like the total height of the Sport Glide bars are about 7 inches. The Lucky Dave 13 bars start at 11 inches in height. They are pretty popular in California where lane spitting is allowed.

I am debating whether going with the Lucky Dave bars or the Westcoast MX-Tbars. The Westcoast bars are 31 1/2 inches across and also come in different heights. I prefer their 8 inch height bars, keeping the total height of the bars around the height of that small fairing windshield.

I haven't looked yet but I am concerned If I can pull the wiring harness through the holes of the bars without disassembling the electrical connectors. Having to disassemble them would be painful.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 AM
Chicagowin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ralibur
You may want to look into the Luck Dave 13 bars. They have a pull back and are 28 inches across whereas the Sport Glide's width is around 33 1/2 inches. From a quick measurement I took it looks like the total height of the Sport Glide bars are about 7 inches. The Lucky Dave 13 bars start at 11 inches in height. They are pretty popular in California where lane spitting is allowed.

I am debating whether going with the Lucky Dave bars or the Westcoast MX-Tbars. The Westcoast bars are 31 1/2 inches across and also come in different heights. I prefer their 8 inch height bars, keeping the total height of the bars around the height of that small fairing windshield.

I haven't looked yet but I am concerned If I can pull the wiring harness through the holes of the bars without disassembling the electrical connectors. Having to disassemble them would be painful.
those west coast bars sound like a good option. Like I said I like the stock feel and I think those sound like they are pretty close to stock. Keep me posted on the wire plugs. I’ve only watched 2 videos, one had a plug and play harness in the bars already(ape hangers) and the other one had John maxwell taking apart the plugs.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Ralibur
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chicagowin
those west coast bars sound like a good option. Like I said I like the stock feel and I think those sound like they are pretty close to stock. Keep me posted on the wire plugs. I’ve only watched 2 videos, one had a plug and play harness in the bars already(ape hangers) and the other one had John maxwell taking apart the plugs.
Take a look at this video:

Right around the installer shows the connector which is quite small. If that's the connector size I think its good news.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:45 AM
Ralibur
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ralibur
Take a look at this video:

Right around the installer shows the connector which is quite small. If that's the connector size I think its good news.
I meant check at 2:40 and 8:50 where he shows the size of the connector.

The following users liked this post:
Chicagowin (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 AM
wittangamo
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I also wanted just a couple of inches higher and a couple of inches closer. The H-D 4” fat pullback risers linked above fit the bill perfectly with no cables needed and a simple install.

The stock bars are slightly wider than my shoulders, but the new position made them a comfortable fit with a relaxed arm bend and less forward lean.

If you don’t like the chrome, you could always get a cheap used bar and riser set and have them powder coated.