2018+ Softail Models Breakout

2018 FLSL exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 05:38 PM
quilla
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 FLSL exhaust upgrade

First off am I in the right forum for my questions ? Although I am pleased with the performance of my bike, I'd like a little more growl. Plus I do have to consider the money issue. While I am handy with a wrench this is not my late 72 XL. Being it's brand new and what not I'm not keen on doing anything myself. That being said I guess the stage 1 upgrade would be what I'm looking at. The local dealer quoted an estimate of $1600 to just install the pipes, breather and tune the engine. My question is if I change out the pipes and breather myself would I be able to ride the bike thirty minutes down the road to the dealer so they can do the tuning ? Am I in any danger of damaging any internals or electronics on the bike? Thanks.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 318 Likes on 189 Posts

I think it would be fine. I would run it like you stole it. From what I understand the m8 run a little rich anyways. 1600 bucks is ridiculous. Jesus. For slipons and an aircleaner. Are they going to dyno tune it or put a preset screaming eagle tune on.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:22 PM
quilla
4th Gear

Actually I fancy a pair of big radius full exhausts not slip on's. I know I mentioned a money factor but...... As far as the tuning I don't know. I inquired over the phone with the dealer not face to face. And you you know maybe they don"t have my best interest in mind. There's a couple of other reputable shops in the area I will check with. I asked about running it without being tuned because again it's brand new has an extended warranty and I don't want to be told "well you did this and that so Harley won't cover such and such" you get my drift ? Thanks.

Source

The following users liked this post:
betho61 (03-27-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 318 Likes on 189 Posts

Oh for sure. Are you getting the screaming eagle tuner or something else?

Old 03-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by quilla
First off am I in the right forum for my questions ? Although I am pleased with the performance of my bike, I'd like a little more growl. Plus I do have to consider the money issue. While I am handy with a wrench this is not my late 72 XL. Being it's brand new and what not I'm not keen on doing anything myself. That being said I guess the stage 1 upgrade would be what I'm looking at. The local dealer quoted an estimate of $1600 to just install the pipes, breather and tune the engine. My question is if I change out the pipes and breather myself would I be able to ride the bike thirty minutes down the road to the dealer so they can do the tuning ? Am I in any danger of damaging any internals or electronics on the bike? Thanks.
If you own a laptop you don’t have to bring the bike to your dealer. Part of that $1600 is likely the $300 for a Screamin Eagle tuner, which you can easily use yourself fo flash a stage 1. Changing the pipe and AC is practically identical for any HD made in the last 30 years or longer. Plus it’s also likely the $1600 is for SE Slip Ons, right? That’s three bolts per pipe. That should take a half hour, if you take your time.

Pick up a service manual and save yourself 400 on labor and get to know your bike.

OK, I read a little further in the thread. You’re talking about v&h pipes. In your original post, you expressed concern for your warranty. Unless you have a good relationship with your dealer, removing the factory exhaust is a risk. I know they have relaxed the “instant void” policy of the last couple years and some only look at the calibration (tune), but I’ve also heard of ***** dealers who would still report it. Just be aware of that.

Last edited by Mchad; 03-20-2019 at 09:00 PM.
quilla (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 PM
lenbt
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

V&H FPE3 400.00 Rhinehart slip ons 500.00.Cost of doing it myself priceless.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:51 PM
quilla
4th Gear

I appreciate the advice/input. It'll definitely be another few weeks or more before I can do anything anyway. I'm counting on hopefully making an informed decision and understanding what my optimal options are . So I'll speak to the dealer face to face and hash out how this might affect the warranty and to figure out my options as far as type of tuning and to another shop for second opinion. One parameter of this is the wife. She's like it's brand new blah blah blah, BUT she did buy it for me and she really doesn't mind me spending money on a good thing. God bless her. Again thanks for the information. Ya'll be hearing from me again hopefully soon with good news.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:53 PM
quilla
4th Gear

Not sure. I'll do a bit of leg work and figure this out, thanks

Old 03-27-2019, 08:13 AM
fatfurious2
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did short shots and air cleaner myself. Took an hour. If this is your first time, id say 2 hours.

V&H FP3 has been ordered. That is 15 minutes. Plug it in, use Bluetooth on your phone to tune it.

Best picture that i have currently

quilla (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:17 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

The OP has repeatedly mentioned that he doesn't want to void the warranty. The FP3 (and PowerVision and TTS) will all result in a voided warranty. The only tuner that can be used that doesn't void the warranty is the Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner.