2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Took out a few Harleys today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 06:38 PM
jcn
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Took out a few Harleys today...

Bought my ‘19 Sportster with the Freedom Promise last year and I’m ready to upgrade! Today the weather broke so I took out a ‘19 Deluxe, Heritage and Road King. All three were coincidentally two-tone Twisted Cherry and Wicked Red but that’s really beside the point....

Comparing the two Softails is pretty easy considering they were very similar bikes. The Heritage sat a little higher with a cushier seat which I didn’t really care for. I probably don’t need the bags but figured if they came with the bike it was something nice to have around. Same with the windscreen considering how easy it is take on and off. Personal preference for me is the chrome and lower seat height of the Deluxe so it was the winner between the two.

Now for the Road King... I know this is the Softail Models forum but man do they need to update the Road King standard. The fuel gauge, the small LCD screen, the overall look and feel made it seem like the Road King was 10 years older than the Softails. Cruising down the highway I really enjoyed being on that Road King but around town I really enjoyed throwing the Softails around. It’s not like the Deluxe couldn’t handle the highway either. In fact, it did so very well.

Overall winner for me is the Deluxe and they are writing up a quote today let’s see how it goes...

The following 3 users liked this post by jcn:
SgtThump (03-04-2019), soldierbot (03-06-2019), uklauren (03-03-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the write up. As soon as the weather gets nicer here in the North East, I'm looking forward to taking a Deluxe out for a test ride as well. Let us know how it goes!

-PH

Old 03-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

So ,what do you want a ride around town bike or a open road tourer?

Old 03-05-2019, 08:19 PM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I felt the same about the base Road Kings as well.

Now the Road King Specials are a different story. Not sure what your budget is of course.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:03 PM
polbit
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by otto.maddox
I felt the same about the base Road Kings as well.

Now the Road King Specials are a different story. Not sure what your budget is of course.
Definitely nicer, but it doesn't change the fact that the touring chassis is a boat compared to the new Softails. Great for long-distance, but no fun around town.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:41 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by polbit
Definitely nicer, but it doesn't change the fact that the touring chassis is a boat compared to the new Softails. Great for long-distance, but no fun around town.
I disagree. Yes, the bagger is heavier, but it’s got loads of power and fantastic brakes, and I find it handles plenty easy. I have no problem with it around town, and honestly if I could have only one, it would probably be the King. Small or no shield for around town, put on a big shield and go to Florida.

The following users liked this post:
Dan D. (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:39 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I disagree. Yes, the bagger is heavier, but it’s got loads of power and fantastic brakes, and I find it handles plenty easy. I have no problem with it around town, and honestly if I could have only one, it would probably be the King. Small or no shield for around town, put on a big shield and go to Florida.
Well, that's why they offer choices! My last Harley was a Road King, and I would never go back. Loads of power is a relative term, as it's same engine but with extra 150 lbs, rubber-mounted engine, and worse suspension. Not saying it's a bad bike, but they are world's apart for me when it comes to the twisties or commuting in-town.

I have my perfect "if I could only have one HD" right now, and ready to go to Florida too, just have to pack a little lighter

Old 03-06-2019, 08:37 AM
jcn
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish it was as easy as choosing between an 'in town' bike and a highway touring bike. Ultimately my decision will be on a bike that favors one or the other but right now my riding is a pretty even mixture of both. I won't commute with it on a daily basis as my job requires that I have 4 wheels every day. On the weekends I either take my bike around town or put it on the highway out to 50 or so miles away (not serious touring for sure).

In terms of around town riding I was very surprised by how easy the Road King maneuvered. It didn't feel like a nearly 900lb motorcycle or really any heavier than the Softail. Then I jumped off and took a look at the Road King and Deluxe side-by-side and thought wow that thing is massive!

Now that HD released the Electra Glide Standard this week my decision was just complicated further. I'd like to wait and see what that bike is all about because the pricing is right and I won't miss the frills of a radio, etc. It may be the perfect choice... just need to check one out in person which may be a while.

This weekend I'm going to test a Street Glide to see if I like the fork mounted fairing (never rode one before) and then either I wait for the Electra Glide Standard or I write up the Deluxe on the spot.

Last comments on the Road King... I just wish there was some effort into updating the dash and instrumentation. The bike really seemed dated after getting off the new Softail bikes.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 AM
TDSnowSPR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Get Both

Old 03-06-2019, 09:00 AM
TDSnowSPR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Quick Reply: Took out a few Harleys today...