2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Sport Glide mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 12:00 PM
Pragmatic
Club Member
Received 1,274 Likes on 385 Posts
Default Blackmill plate relocation kit

I went to order the Blackmill kit with stand-offs but he had sold out so I purchased the kit without them for a discounted price of $155 (was $195). So I decided to alter the stock stand-offs to mount the lights and it turned out pretty good. He are some dimensions if you decide to do it yourself, I scribed a line .450” from where the stand off mounts to the signal so I could keep the angle:
Dimensions of the altered stand-off is .680” short end 1.080” long end (I did this on a 4” wide belt sander)

.450” shorter

push out the brass sleeve and shorten to.690 oal

drill 5/16” holt for the bolt and 17/64” for the wire, the mounting bolt I shortened to 1.735” oal

The following 5 users liked this post by Pragmatic:
BuddyB (03-15-2020), cobalt07 (03-15-2020), jtodd (03-17-2020), pjbuilder (03-22-2020), Rorin67 (06-20-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 01:44 PM
felix27
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Rear looks good but you’re not concerned about not having a refector?

Old 03-15-2020, 03:03 PM
PTBadAss
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 80% done with mods

Added 4” fat curved HD risers, 9” windshield, and Skull derby cover. Done for a while (but never really done).

The following users liked this post:
Grundee (03-15-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 12:53 AM
tanerck
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PTBadAss
Added 4” fat curved HD risers, 9” windshield, and Skull derby cover. Done for a while (but never really done).

do you have the details of the hard case saddle ? plug and play or there are lots of modifications to have this done ?

thanks.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:43 AM
PTBadAss
Intermediate
Default Bags

Great question. Brackets are from Sumax. They did not go on per instructions but Sumax is now aware of that and may have made adjustments for the sport glide. Sumax is expensive but super sturdy. I’m happy to walk you through the slight installation change. See pic. The lower arm of the bag frame is supposed to mount behind the bike frame but it won’t fit. So you need to attach it in front of the bike frame but behind the foot peg mount.

Bags are here:

Complete Hard Saddlebags W Locks...
Amazon Amazon

Decent quality, great price and install pretty easily on the Sumax brackets.

Hope this is helpful but also happy too walk you through on the phone if needed. Good luck.

Last edited by PTBadAss; 03-16-2020 at 07:05 AM.
tanerck (03-16-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 08:12 AM
HollandDyna
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new bike

hi, I'm Pieter from The Netherlands, just got a new Sport Glide, I had a FLHRSE5 CVO before this new bike, just wanted a bike with less weight, M8 engine, better frame, roadholding and suspension and little bags and a more contemporary looks, minimal or no batwing...…..so there was the Sport Glide……
what did I change; 5,5 " windscreen, the best windscreen I ever had, better than the windsplitter on the CVO, Rinehart slip-on, perfect sound an not too long like the SE, SE ventilator air filter, better looks than that little round helmet……., engine guard, I never ride without; I think that is enough for the moment, maybe some other risers and mini floorboards, but I am satisfied with my seat, controls and bar so far; it is a nice engine with enough power and brakes do their work ; It is nice to see that several Sport Glides are transformed into HD models that already exist like touring.....

The following 4 users liked this post by HollandDyna:
GPHDXLC (04-03-2021), HuntWhenever (03-21-2020), Lammy1000 (05-04-2020), watch boy (04-10-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 10:39 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by HollandDyna
hi, I'm Pieter from The Netherlands, just got a new Sport Glide, I had a FLHRSE5 CVO before this new bike, just wanted a bike with less weight, M8 engine, better frame, roadholding and suspension and little bags and a more contemporary looks, minimal or no batwing...…..so there was the Sport Glide……
what did I change; 5,5 " windscreen, the best windscreen I ever had, better than the windsplitter on the CVO, Rinehart slip-on, perfect sound an not too long like the SE, SE ventilator air filter, better looks than that little round helmet……., engine guard, I never ride without; I think that is enough for the moment, maybe some other risers and mini floorboards, but I am satisfied with my seat, controls and bar so far; it is a nice engine with enough power and brakes do their work ; It is nice to see that several Sport Glides are transformed into HD models that already exist like touring....
Looks nice!

Old 03-22-2020, 01:50 AM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 155 Posts

Sharp bike. Almost makes me wish I had chosen that color instead of Performance Orange. Maybe my bright orange will save my hide from getting slammed by some texting soccer mom.

HuntWhenever (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 03:25 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by HollandDyna
what did I change; 5,5 " windscreen, the best windscreen I ever had, better than the windsplitter on the CVO, Rinehart slip-on, perfect sound an not too long like the SE, SE ventilator air filter, better looks than that little round helmet……., engine guard, I never ride without; I think that is enough for the moment, maybe some other risers and mini floorboards, but I am satisfied with my seat, controls and bar so far; it is a nice engine with enough power and brakes do their work ; It is nice to see that several Sport Glides are transformed into HD models that already exist like touring.....

Nice pictures!

GPHDXLC (04-03-2021)
Old 03-22-2020, 04:44 AM
PTBadAss
Intermediate
Default Great comment

Pieter, you stated that some sport glide owners transform their bikes into touring models. This is definitely true for me and for good reason. I waffled for months between the street glide and the sport glide. I wanted the bag space and fairing of the street glide but the sport glide just felt more manageable, controllable and comfortable given my body frame (5’ 9”, 180lbs with a 31” inseam). And, 90% of my rides are less than 30 miles round trip. So the sport glide just made sense but I’m adding some of the street glide features — best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Sport Glide mods