2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Sport Glide mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 06:19 AM
uncle tom
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by El_M0to
Didn't get home until later. But, I took some pictures.

This looks so much better compared to those plastic pieces at the end of the fender. Very Nice!
I would need to fit German plates on it. What is the largest width I could fit (distance between blinkers in millimeters if possible).
Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Pragmatic (02-28-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 10:54 AM
El_M0to
Advanced
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's a dark shot. Hard to do since the running lights are so bright.

uncle tom (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 02:18 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 332 Likes on 236 Posts

Right thanks for that. The running lights are so bright in this pic it overpowers in this photo but it looks like the plate is well lit and with added running light along the bottom. Plus I take the lights on the sides of the plate light up when braking or using the turn signal.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:12 PM
El_M0to
Advanced
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

@VernDiesel Yeah, the running lights are pretty bright, which is what I was looking for. I've got Custom Dynamics signal/running lights as well. The lights on the sides of the plate will light up but I had to buy the Dynamic Load Isolator to get those setup. I haven't installed it yet. But if you do the plate with the side lights you can only run them as signals as they are amber. I was hoping I could run them as running lights but apparently you can't run amber lights to the rear.

Here's the Dynamic Load Isolator https://www.customdynamics.com/dynam...8-softail?cat=

VernDiesel (01-10-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Pragmatic
Club Member
Received 1,274 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by El_M0to
I recently got one of the Blackmill kits for my Sport Glide. Love how it looks. Great support from Blackmill. I think handling the wiring harness for the Custom Dynamic license plate was more difficult. I took my time and hit up the local HD dealer for some spare harness extenders so I could splice those without cutting into the stock harness. I always think "I should record this install so I can post it up" then I never do.

Did you find those spare harness extenders? Are they common around the Harley shop or is there a part number I can reference?

Thanks

Old 01-11-2020, 01:37 PM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by eamerritt13
Thanks for getting me on to DK Custom. I spoke with both parts and service at my dealer about maybe using Fat Boy mounts and the short answer is they said they couldn’t do that. It was beyond my capability to get into that level of wrenching. I ended up getting a pair of the 12 inch, chrome, half moon shaped DK Custom floorboards.
Kevin & the crew at DK make good stuff - have a few of their products on my wife's TriGlide. And who knows - their floorboard kit for the SportGlide may work better for you than a HD fitted setup. But honestly, if your dealer is saying they can't bolt up a set of floorboard brackets onto a Softail frame then I'd question either the parts guys or the service guys. When I bought my 2018 SportGlide, I told my dealer I wanted Heritage boards mounted before I took delivery. They had never done it - but I took the list of components from Belloc42 on his post #36 in this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...t-glide-2.html into my dealership & asked them to work it into the deal. When I went in to take delivery I was told they sold another SportGlide with floorboards when that customer saw mine on the floor.

Not trying to knock your dealer, but it isn't a difficult conversion. By the way, your bike looks good!

DK Custom (01-12-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 10:49 PM
Rorin67
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Todd's Cycle 14" apes. OEM solo seat from a 2018 Street Bob.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:44 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 332 Likes on 236 Posts

No offense or disrespect only asking. You may have legit reasons or life just worked out that way. Anyway If these mods are where you wanted to take your bike why not pay $4,000 less for a Street Bob?

I assume at times you ride with the fairing & bags which would make the SG a more reasonable choice. BTW it is a cool looking bike I’m not dissing it.

Last edited by VernDiesel; 01-27-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Rorin67
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

No disrespect at all, as I wondered the same thing. In the end, I really wanted the front forks and front tire on the Sport Glide, and the option of tossing on the Sport Glide's fairing and hard bags, which I do indeed use from time to time. That's kinda what I like about the Sport Glide, in that it can be many different bikes depending on the day. Granted, it doesn't do any of them perfectly, but it does all of them well enough to enjoy the versatility of the bike. Cheers!

RossW (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 11:44 PM
RossW
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by VernDiesel
No offense or disrespect only asking. You may have legit reasons or life just worked out that way. Anyway If these mods are where you wanted to take your bike why not pay $4,000 less for a Street Bob?

I assume at times you ride with the fairing & bags which would make the SG a more reasonable choice. BTW it is a cool looking bike I’m not dissing it.
I've been thinking about getting one of these for my Sport Glide for those times when I'm by myself. Only the exposed bolts has made me hold off, but yours looks ok.
Street Bob seats can be had for cheap.

​​​​​​

​​​​

Quick Reply: Sport Glide mods