im just going to do it. will update

The following users liked this post:
VernDiesel (12-29-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 09:00 PM
BuddyB
Advanced
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Tab Performance

Installed the Tab slip on with Zombie baffle yesterday. Best 300 dollars I spent in a long time. I was going to go with the Medium baffle but thought just how much more sound can come from just a muffler. So went with the Zombie and am glad I did. The sound is almost perfect. Definitely not too loud. Sounds great off the line and decel. Tame when cruising which doesn't interfere with my music

Old 12-31-2019, 03:46 PM
eamerritt13
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eamerritt13
Thanks for getting me on to DK Custom. I spoke with both parts and service at my dealer about maybe using Fat Boy mounts and the short answer is they said they couldn’t do that. It was beyond my capability to get into that level of wrenching. I ended up getting a pair of the 12 inch, chrome, half moon shaped DK Custom floorboards. The tops are non-sprung rubber. They have two adjustments (forward and backward and outside rake either up or down) for dialing them in. High quality, went on well, and very comfortable. They have a mounting adaptor made especially for Sport Glides (forward controls). Process took about an hour to get them installed with an initial setting. Rode and then made minor adjustments, which only took a few minutes. Rode again and made final adjustments and final tightening (using blue thread lock). Two issues worth noting: 1. The Allen (hex) styled bolt that holds the footboard to the adaptor uses a lock washer and a flat washer. The head of the bolt goes through the locking washer when you tamp it down. Used a slightly smaller washer and all worked well. Odd detail. It’s certainly possible that I did something incorrectly, but I don’t think so. 2. The foot brake bottom is only about and inch and a half clearance to the top of the floorboard. The angle is set by the adaptor, so there is no adjustment. Not enough clearance to slide my boot under, but it does make it easier to use a trailing brake at low speeds. Again, it just seems odd, but not a huge deal. Certainly would help if Harley-Davidson had made the foot brake stem adjustable. Highly recommend these for those looking for full-sized floorboard. Great service and packaging from DK Custom. Sure makes for a more comfortable ride.

Profile view of DK Custom floorboards

Left side DK Custom floorboard close up

Left side DK Custom floorboard from distance

Right side DK Custom floorboard from distance

Right side DK Custom floorboard close up

The following 3 users liked this post by eamerritt13:
DK Custom (01-04-2020), GPHDXLC (10-05-2020), VernDiesel (12-31-2019)
Old 01-01-2020, 02:52 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Sharp bike. How do you like the Rineharts? I have S&S 2-1 chrome with black tip almost identical to yours. Its the 50 state legal version so as not to void H-D warranty. Surprised me with cat & legal sound level that it is as loud as it it. Idle is pretty loud under load a little more tamed but it sort of has that dragster draw if you rev it. People like it and say thats what a H-D should sound like (M8) but is just a little louder than I anticipated. The sound clip on their site is accurate except my speakers can't capture the base or volume. Mine has more cam & compression (stage 3) and that probably improved the thump a bit over the clip but still basically the same. I presume the Rinehart doesn't have the cat so may not have the dragster draw?

I like your mirrors & grips. The stock mirrors impead my hand if I just want to raise four fingers to return the wave to other bikers. Like the boards & derby cover as well. Since I turned mine into a 114 I got a derby cover off the breakout. Last is that a Gustafsson windshield how tall and does it do a good job of keeping direct wind off your face/helmet? I have the tall Gustafsson am impressed and like that they build them specifically for our fairing. Mine was good quality & fit.

Last edited by VernDiesel; 01-01-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:07 PM
eamerritt13
6th Gear
Default Sport Glide updates and add-ones

Good eye on the Rinehart slip on. Yes, it is throaty and grumbly and is 50-state legal. Bought it on sale from H-D of Asheville. It is a bit louder than I expected, but I like both the quality and sound very much. The floorboards were a great addition. Was afraid they would scrape here in the mountains on heavy leans, but they actually seem to provide more clearance. Excellent quality and easy installation. I had a Gustafsson 12” shield that seemed to flex the fairing too much at anything more than about 50 mph. It was great otherwise. I sent it back and got an 8” KlockWerks with the lip bulge at the top. This one doesn’t provide quite enough wind protection above about 65 mph, but works far better for me than stock or the H-D 5” option. Did you notice a big difference in power after doing the stage 3 upgrade to 114? Looks like about $1500 for the kit, plus labor for installation. Are you pleased with the outcome?

Last edited by eamerritt13; 01-01-2020 at 07:12 PM.
DK Custom (01-04-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 07:19 PM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I heard about the flex once so I requested 3/16 instead of 1/8” thick. No flex no extra charge. I have the 15” with vents.

Love the stage 3 more torque down low and more HP up high plus broader range. Got it with the 20 percent off. Put with the sprocket & pulley change she really rips.

Last edited by VernDiesel; 01-01-2020 at 08:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VernDiesel:
eamerritt13 (01-01-2020), soca (04-21-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:18 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,157 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Profile view of DK Custom floorboards

Left side DK Custom floorboard close up

Left side DK Custom floorboard from distance

Right side DK Custom floorboard from distance

Right side DK Custom floorboard close up
Good looking ride, and those floorboards look like they belong on there. Thanks for posting those up and for sending me some pics for the site.

icybeam (04-01-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:21 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,157 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Good eye on the Rinehart slip on. Yes, it is throaty and grumbly and is 50-state legal. Bought it on sale from H-D of Asheville. It is a bit louder than I expected, but I like both the quality and sound very much. The floorboards were a great addition. Was afraid they would scrape here in the mountains on heavy leans, but they actually seem to provide more clearance. Excellent quality and easy installation. I had a Gustafsson 12” shield that seemed to flex the fairing too much at anything more than about 50 mph. It was great otherwise. I sent it back and got an 8” KlockWerks with the lip bulge at the top. This one doesn’t provide quite enough wind protection above about 65 mph, but works far better for me than stock or the H-D 5” option. Did you notice a big difference in power after doing the stage 3 upgrade to 114? Looks like about $1500 for the kit, plus labor for installation. Are you pleased with the outcome?
Yeah, a few years ago when we were developing these, one of the main criteria was that we would not lose any lean angle. We were actually able to increase the lean angle by making the outside edge of the floorboard not stick out any further than a footpeg, combined with the floorboard not being as tall (top to bottom) as a peg...net result, increased lean angle.

VernDiesel (01-04-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 10:04 AM
uncle tom
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How/where are you mounting the relocation kit? Can you post instructions? Thanks ...

Old 01-06-2020, 11:03 AM
eamerritt13
6th Gear

It's a bit confusing to try to follow message streams. I assume that you are writing about the DK Custom floorboards for the Harley-Davidson Sport Glide. There is no re-location. Along with the floorboards you would purchase a forward controls adaptor kit (it was about $35). From there the adaptors slip into the existing peg mounts and the floorboards mount into the adaptors. Due to small variances in clearance, it is a bit tight and fiddly in getting everything to mesh well, but it did come together. Follow these breadcrumbs for more detailed info. Go to the DK Custom site at dkcustomproducts.com >> softail parts >> footpegs >> classic footpegs and/or footpeg mounting hardware. At either of these terminal links scroll down and there is a tab for an instruction sheet. DK Custom did a great job with the quality, fit, and finish. Along with the adaptors they included four sprung metal shims to aid in ensuring the fit is tight inside of the Harley peg mounts and thereby eliminating rattle. If I had four hands, the installation would have been a snap. Total time approx 45 minutes. Figure on a few test rides after the initial installation to get the front-to-back positioning and angle adjustments (small hex head screws) to suit you. Then use some blue thread lock and finish the job. Nice! Also, earlier in this message stream there is a post with photos discussing possible adjusting of the footbrake (which the dealer will not do). When it warms up a bit outside, I need to look into that adjustment, so I can get my boot under the footbrake control. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Sport Glide mods