2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Sport Glide mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 12:33 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
The Sport Glide rear master cylinder is the same as the others with the clevis.
That's what I would expect, so -- yeah, there is a little adjustability, I was able to raise the pedal at least an inch, maybe two.

Then again, I do seem to recall being told that my brake pedal wasn't adjustable, even though it clearly was, just enough to get it where it needed to be. So I expect that the Sport Glide is equally as adjustable. Minimal, but maybe enough.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:44 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
That's what I would expect, so -- yeah, there is a little adjustability, I was able to raise the pedal at least an inch, maybe two.

Then again, I do seem to recall being told that my brake pedal wasn't adjustable, even though it clearly was, just enough to get it where it needed to be. So I expect that the Sport Glide is equally as adjustable. Minimal, but maybe enough.
Ya, I heard somebody had to push the dealer into adjusting the pedal cause it's not a standard thing for them to do.
There's a thread or two about the brake pedal height, shortening a link or substituting an adjustable link, all DIY stuff, not dealer.
I also thought you can probably find a longer clevis to make it happen.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:14 PM
RossW
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Just fitted a new top box using the HD detachable mount. Had to drill some holes in the plate to make it work but it looks ok, I think. Wasn't going to pay over AUD900 for the box, and noone in Australia has then in stock anyway. Fortunately it was easy to make a Chinese eBay one fit the plate. It seems fairly well made for the price and is relatively light weight. It's big enough to hold two helmets.

The plastic is a better match for the Sport Glide panniers too, I think. It is the same wrinkle finish as the inner part of the bags.

The following 4 users liked this post by RossW:
Belloc42 (12-20-2019), cobalt07 (07-13-2021), HuntWhenever (12-21-2019), rauchman (02-12-2022)
Old 12-21-2019, 07:48 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by RossW
Just fitted a new top box using the HD detachable mount. ...
Looks nice! Are those lights or just reflectors on the back of the top case?

Old 12-21-2019, 08:08 PM
RossW
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
Looks nice! Are those lights or just reflectors on the back of the top case?
Just reflectors. I will normally have a sissy bar there. The box is mainly for trips or if I need to stow my helmet.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:35 PM
eamerritt13
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DK Custom Floorboards

Originally Posted by Moose328
I’ve seen others post on here about getting mounts from either a heritage or a fat boy and using those floor boards? I think DK Custom also makes a plug and play set in the half moon shape where you don’t have to replace the mounts.
Thanks for getting me on to DK Custom. I spoke with both parts and service at my dealer about maybe using Fat Boy mounts and the short answer is they said they couldn’t do that. It was beyond my capability to get into that level of wrenching. I ended up getting a pair of the 12 inch, chrome, half moon shaped DK Custom floorboards. The tops are non-sprung rubber. They have two adjustments (forward and backward and outside rake either up or down) for dialing them in. High quality, went on well, and very comfortable. They have a mounting adaptor made especially for Sport Glides (forward controls). Process took about an hour to get them installed with an initial setting. Rode and then made minor adjustments, which only took a few minutes. Rode again and made final adjustments and final tightening (using blue thread lock). Two issues worth noting: 1. The Allen (hex) styled bolt that holds the footboard to the adaptor uses a lock washer and a flat washer. The head of the bolt goes through the locking washer when you tamp it down. Used a slightly smaller washer and all worked well. Odd detail. It’s certainly possible that I did something incorrectly, but I don’t think so. 2. The foot brake bottom is only about and inch and a half clearance to the top of the floorboard. The angle is set by the adaptor, so there is no adjustment. Not enough clearance to slide my boot under, but it does make it easier to use a trailing brake at low speeds. Again, it just seems odd, but not a huge deal. Certainly would help if Harley-Davidson had made the foot brake stem adjustable. Highly recommend these for those looking for full-sized floorboard. Great service and packaging from DK Custom. Sure makes for a more comfortable ride.

Last edited by eamerritt13; 12-27-2019 at 08:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by eamerritt13:
DK Custom (12-28-2019), HuntWhenever (12-27-2019), Moose328 (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 10:22 PM
Moose328
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by eamerritt13
Thanks for getting me on to DK Custom. I spoke with both parts and service at my dealer about maybe using Fat Boy mounts and the short answer is they said they couldn’t do that. It was beyond my capability to get into that level of wrenching. I ended up getting a pair of the 12 inch, chrome, half moon shaped DK Custom floorboards. The tops are non-sprung rubber. They have two adjustments (forward and backward and outside rake either up or down) for dialing them in. High quality, went on well, and very comfortable. They have a mounting adaptor made especially for Sport Glides (forward controls). Process took about an hour to get them installed with an initial setting. Rode and then made minor adjustments, which only took a few minutes. Rode again and made final adjustments and final tightening (using blue thread lock). Two issues worth noting: 1. The Allen (hex) styled bolt that holds the footboard to the adaptor uses a lock washer and a flat washer. The head of the bolt goes through the locking washer when you tamp it down. Used a slightly smaller washer and all worked well. Odd detail. It’s certainly possible that I did something incorrectly, but I don’t think so. 2. The foot brake bottom is only about and inch and a half clearance to the top of the floorboard. The angle is set by the adaptor, so there is no adjustment. Not enough clearance to slide my boot under, but it does make it easier to use a trailing brake at low speeds. Again, it just seems odd, but not a huge deal. Certainly would help if Harley-Davidson had made the foot brake stem adjustable. Highly recommend these for those looking for full-sized floorboard. Great service and packaging from DK Custom. Sure makes for a more comfortable ride.
glad to hear you found something that works for you!

Old 12-28-2019, 12:24 AM
Moose328
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New levers, risers, and grips for my FLSB

I already had Kuryakyn hex mini boards, turn signal extension caps, reduced reach seat (not short just like being closer) and a bung king crash bar on, but today I ordered some grips (Avon memory foam), and the adjustable levers made by Rick’s. Waiting on 4” pullback risers to come in.

I should be good on “mandatory” parts for a while. I wanna get the black primary cover and the black exhaust shield set, but I don’t “need” those right away. I was more worried about safety/comfort stuff first. I’ll let whoever’s interested in how they work once I have everything on.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:43 AM
Grundee
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Back on a softail... these new softails are too good. I think I have ridden or owned just about every style bike out there (except an adv), and this sport glide may be the best all around machine for the money.

Inbound, I have 10" Santaro bars, tallboy seat, AC trim, and a sissy bar + lugg rack to start off.

I like how the forward controls are not too far out, but I want some mid pegs for the long rides.

Anybody try to clamp a bar to the bottom of the frame to mimic some mid pegs?

This https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-position.html is kinda what I'm after.

I just want 3 or 4 inches poking out so I wont touch during a lean.

Any thought?

Old 12-29-2019, 08:55 AM
VernDiesel
Road Captain
Received 332 Likes on 236 Posts

I have the same interest Grundee but have not gotten to even look into this yet.

Quick Reply: Sport Glide mods