2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Organizing Sport Glide saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Organizing Sport Glide saddlebags

Just looking for some ideas, how did you organize your bags? When I had the RK, I spent the "big" bucks on a fitted set. Now with these there isn't much you can buy specifically for them. Right now I'm using a canvas Husky bag in one for few tools, etc., and rain gear and extra gloves in the other, but I like to go OCD on this...

Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Rain gear, jiffy stand puck, coolass seat cover, poncho (for the S.O.), container of bungee chords, Zipp lock w/ owners manual/warrenty papers/etc. and my "Huskey" bag of tools (on top) all in the left saddlebag. I keep my right bag empty so I can carry a filled freezable beverage bag along with my S.O.'s purse like bag she just has to have with her important lady stuff when we go out two-up.

I had them switched left for right for a while but found when out solo, with the left side bag empty, the weight being in the right side bag would tend to make me need to put my right foot down sooner than I wanted. I had it that way so the beverage bag was not over the pipes, but now the beverages gets warmer quicker but makes stopping putting the left foot down only (or at least first) is much easier. Might try putting a thin piece of foam insulation in the bottom of the right bag to help keeping the heat off the beverage bag.

I might seem logical to split the weight evenly beween the two bags, but then there is not enough room in either for the beverage bag and her bag/purse.

I use my trunk bag for a place to put quick to get at like items such as gloves, jackets,dry-off towel and small packages picked up at a store. When two-up, it is used to lock up the second helmet when away from the bike.

I know this information won't help with your organizing OCD but its just the way I use my bags. Many will say that I carry too much stuff and I can't really argue with that. It just works for me!

Last edited by FrankEV; 02-05-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:33 PM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

There are some bags on the Harley site for our bags - not sure if you've seen those. I haven't looked for anything, really, just because most anything you put in there would limit the size and shape of things you could put in. I keep "permanent" stuff in the right bag and use the left for daily in-and-out stuff. Keep thinking I'll take the dampers off but never get around to it.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:27 PM
polbit
Tourer

Thanks for the suggestions! This is my second bike with saddlebags, and I didn't keep the Road King long enough to appreciate them. This time around, the Sport Glide just fits me like a glove, and I want her to be ready at a moment's notice Be it commuting, weekend trips, or two-up with my wife when we get a chance.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by polbit
Thanks for the suggestions! This is my second bike with saddlebags, and I didn't keep the Road King long enough to appreciate them. This time around, the Sport Glide just fits me like a glove, and I want her to be ready at a moment's notice Be it commuting, weekend trips, or two-up with my wife when we get a chance.
Here's a link to those bags: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...02-93300110--1

I'd probably pick some up if I did any real traveling. I haven't had saddlebags since I sold my BMW almost 20 years ago, and I don't know what I did without them. Just being able to wear, say, a hoodie into work, then drop it in the bag for the ride home in the afternoon rather than wear it and sweat, or try to strap it on back someplace, bring home doggie bags from a restaurant, carry a rain suit, etc., etc., etc. You forget how nice it is not to always be trying to figure out a way to carry something.

I'm a huge fan of this bike too, if you hadn't noticed

Old 02-05-2019, 09:24 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

My right-hand case holds...
- 12V pump
- one of my helmet bags full of bungies
- water-tight container with:
--- Gerber Multitool
--- misc. fuses
--- zip ties

My left-hand case holds...
- rain gear
- spare hat
- spare safety glasses (for work)
- jiffy stand puck
- small bag with:
--- tube plug kit
--- GPS mount
--- GPS cable

Last edited by HuntWhenever; 02-05-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:09 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
My right-hand case holds...
- 12V pump
- one of my helmet bags full of bungies
- water-tight container with:
--- Gerber Multitool
--- misc. fuses
--- zip ties

My left-hand case holds...
- rain gear
- spare hat
- spare safety glasses (for work)
- jiffy stand puck
- small bag with:
--- tube plug kit
--- GPS mount
--- GPS cable
Nicely packed!!! I also carry the air filter sox and, during hot seasons, one of those small thermic bags for cold water.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:49 AM
polbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by Belloc42
Here's a link to those bags: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...02-93300110--1

I'd probably pick some up if I did any real traveling. I haven't had saddlebags since I sold my BMW almost 20 years ago, and I don't know what I did without them. Just being able to wear, say, a hoodie into work, then drop it in the bag for the ride home in the afternoon rather than wear it and sweat, or try to strap it on back someplace, bring home doggie bags from a restaurant, carry a rain suit, etc., etc., etc. You forget how nice it is not to always be trying to figure out a way to carry something.

I'm a huge fan of this bike too, if you hadn't noticed
These look great for longer trips, and are actually pretty cheap for Harley! I did order them

You are right on the money about the usefulness, it fits everything I need so far. My big one was always gloves - I leave for work when it's 35F, and ride home when its 60F sometimes. I'd forget summer gloves half the time. Now they stay in the bag Rain gear already got used once too...

Sport Glide Forever!

Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

These look great for longer trips, and are actually pretty cheap for Harley! I did order them

You are right on the money about the usefulness, it fits everything I need so far. My big one was always gloves - I leave for work when it's 35F, and ride home when its 60F sometimes. I'd forget summer gloves half the time. Now they stay in the bag Rain gear already got used once too...

Sport Glide Forever!
Cool, you'll have to report back on them when you get them - I'll be interested to hear what you think. I thought they were pretty reasonable, too.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

Sport Glide Forever!
Hey, polbit, how do those bags look?

Quick Reply: Organizing Sport Glide saddlebags