2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2024, 04:39 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 355 Likes on 212 Posts

Swapped the Arlen Ness big sucker filter for a Zippers max flow filter. Have a max flow kit on the Dyna and it’s a good bit taller than the ness.

Fixed my LRS filter envy. Probably not much else and I’m not expecting a power bump, it does make my OCD smile when ogling in the garage.

The ness and the zippers M8 kit have the same air filter mounting in the backplate. Needed the M8 filter and two of the zippers kit studs, had to trim down the studs and cut a 1/4-20 for the install.

Apologies, this post was for the 18 softail forum.

The following users liked this post:
tba63 (09-28-2024)
Old 09-26-2024, 01:45 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Installed the FXR Division perch clamps I've had for a month.

Zach

Old 09-27-2024, 04:43 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Bung King 10 inch risers. Kept the stock bars. Cannot believe how nice it came out. Done at the dealer, and there were a couple little hiccups, but all tolled, turned out great, and didn't cost too much.

I'd be riding right now, but Hurricane in the panhandle, and we're getting lots of rain bands. The sky is dark, but luckily, I made it home without hitting rain. Front tire is still pretty fresh. Hoping for better weather tomorrow.

Old 09-28-2024, 01:16 PM
morooster
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

1. Installed +2 Bareknuckle extensions. Needed longer brake lines

2. Bought magnum shieldings extended lowers. Put them on. Realize that their connection for the upper cable is a male one, and I need their upper cable which is part of the set. OK, fine.

2A. Week later, upper cable arrives. Except I ordered the 10mm banjo bolt to the master, oops.

2B. Week later, correct upper cable arrives. Got it all installed, starting to bleed brakes.... suddenly, a brake fluid leak right at the same male connection.
Turns out when I torqued it down - barely past hand tight BTW - the male head on the lower assembly spun in place and sheared itself off. I turned it a little more and boom, fully beheaded it.

Fin: 310 dollar part. And I'm going to visit family in korea for a few months next week, so I am officially out of time. This was supposed to be the last weekend I get to ride.

The brake fluid all over my front fender was the cherry on top. Hope everyone else has a better weekend than me!

Old 09-29-2024, 03:33 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 355 Likes on 212 Posts

Sounds like my projects, did a riser swap on a Dyna and had the wrong banjo. Wrong banjo on the new Goodrich compression fitting (cut to fit, then throw a fit). Last minute Amazon line with the correct banjo and a new spare line for my sportster…

And that’s without the ABS headaches.

We’ve either cleared the three bad things in a row, or started counting again.

morooster (09-30-2024)
Old 09-29-2024, 07:24 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by morooster
1. Installed +2 Bareknuckle extensions. Needed longer brake lines

2. Bought magnum shieldings extended lowers. Put them on. Realize that their connection for the upper cable is a male one, and I need their upper cable which is part of the set. OK, fine.

2A. Week later, upper cable arrives. Except I ordered the 10mm banjo bolt to the master, oops.

2B. Week later, correct upper cable arrives. Got it all installed, starting to bleed brakes.... suddenly, a brake fluid leak right at the same male connection.
Turns out when I torqued it down - barely past hand tight BTW - the male head on the lower assembly spun in place and sheared itself off. I turned it a little more and boom, fully beheaded it.

Fin: 310 dollar part. And I'm going to visit family in korea for a few months next week, so I am officially out of time. This was supposed to be the last weekend I get to ride.

The brake fluid all over my front fender was the cherry on top. Hope everyone else has a better weekend than me!
Unfortunately I didnt have a better week, but Magnum Shielding DOES pick up their phone. You might be able to contact them and see what's up.
I've called them a few times and always got someone to pick up.

morooster (09-30-2024)
Old 09-29-2024, 07:24 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Last two posts....

Why I let the dealer deal with the new risers, instead of me. Saving a few bucks wasn't worth it to me in the long run. I am pretty certain they did it right. Things happen, that only experience knows.

morooster (09-30-2024)
Old 09-30-2024, 03:46 PM
morooster
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Last two posts....

Why I let the dealer deal with the new risers, instead of me. Saving a few bucks wasn't worth it to me in the long run. I am pretty certain they did it right. Things happen, that only experience knows.
tell me about it. i'm starting to especially feel that way regarding anything brake related.

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Unfortunately I didnt have a better week, but Magnum Shielding DOES pick up their phone. You might be able to contact them and see what's up.
I've called them a few times and always got someone to pick up.
Heather @ magnum shielding assured me that they can sell me the specific male attachment part, apparently the assembly comes apart. not cheap, 78 dollars plus tax and shipping, but better than 320! So far in my experience, magnum has been really on top of customer service.

Stretchman (10-01-2024)
Old 10-03-2024, 02:08 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

A better picture of the risers. Around 200 dollars from Bung King. Not exactly the risers I ordered, as I wanted wrinkle black and no wiring holes, but they were already mounted before I saw them, and I wasn't about to have them redo it all.

Anyways, same top clamp, and gauge mount\. With just about any other riser combo, you have to order an additional gauge mount, and the cost is somewhere around 500 dollars by the time you're done. Although Bung King does make an alternate gauge mount, you have to buy another top clamp, and the gauge mount sits on top of it. It works, but doesn't look as good. That's if you want more pullback. With the stock bars, the pullback is pretty decent.

All in all, pretty happy with the way it came out.

Basically, did the sissy bar, the bung king passenger pegs ( bike had no passenger pegs, and a solo seat stock ) the highway bar, the Lepera Daddy Long Legs tailwhip, and a set of 10 inch risers. I added a swingarm bag I had, and the trunk bag, both something I had laying around doing nothing.

And this is how it came out.

Just got the break in miles done and had the break in service. Didn't get much of a chance to ride due to the weather, my schedule, etc., but today, I got out for a morning rip, and, there was actually a hint of cool fall air in the wind. It felt really good after a summer of record high temps, and heat advisories of 105-110 degrees daily. I don't normally open it up, but there was a couple of times I could get on it a little, and man, this thing has power for days. And it's scary fast for a stock bike. Not that I'm complaining. You have to try really hard to give it the all the beans.

Way more bike than my last bike. And a lot like my old 93 Low Rider from way back, but, a lot better than it at the same time. I put 22,000 miles in 2 years on that bike. It was one of the ones that call to you to ride them. Not every bike I have ever had has done that. This one is getting there. I like it a lot. Can recommend 100%.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stretchman:
jyx (10-03-2024), tclhb (10-04-2024)