2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 09:51 PM
Dirtbag_Max
2nd Gear
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fairing on Heritage

Fairing install. Just had to fab a 1.5in drop bracket for the light bar.

The following 10 users liked this post by Dirtbag_Max:
Biggzed (09-25-2024), BlueridgeXL (09-25-2024), FranBunnyFFXII (09-25-2024), imoo6170 (09-25-2024), Powermankw (09-24-2024), RichM752 (09-24-2024), shiftace (09-25-2024), snake_eyes (09-25-2024), Stretchman (09-27-2024), WXSW (09-25-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2024, 11:25 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I have a Garage again!(sorta).
First thing worked on in said garage was installing wiring extensions and putting the wire boot back how it's supposed to be.
I will need to find an elegant solution to wrap those wires in the future but for now, it's fine.
It also allowed me to expose the heated grip plugs, and test the left side salvaged grip. It works.
I will be figured out how to go about restoring my heated grips soon.

The following 3 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Lammy1000 (09-27-2024), morooster (09-25-2024), WXSW (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 03:02 PM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 98 Posts

Good grief... I get it. I could not get the boot back in after riser to save my life... Which I had before. I had to undue everything, run all wires straight, just to get enough slack get them in boot. What a royal PITA. Others had have said you can cut from caddy. It does not have to be attached. There is more slack to the caddy that can be used. But in your case, with extension, you might have more room in there to get more wire in without limitation of fi Ed caddy. Know what I mean... But congrats on garage!!!

The following users liked this post:
FranBunnyFFXII (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 04:41 PM
abolton89
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I have a Garage again!(sorta).
First thing worked on in said garage was installing wiring extensions and putting the wire boot back how it's supposed to be.
I will need to find an elegant solution to wrap those wires in the future but for now, it's fine.
It also allowed me to expose the heated grip plugs, and test the left side salvaged grip. It works.
I will be figured out how to go about restoring my heated grips soon.

Looks like that seat paint is holding nicely. I was super curious to see how its been turning out.

Old 09-25-2024, 04:42 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Powermankw
Good grief... I get it. I could not get the boot back in after riser to save my life... Which I had before. I had to undue everything, run all wires straight, just to get enough slack get them in boot. What a royal PITA. Others had have said you can cut from caddy. It does not have to be attached. There is more slack to the caddy that can be used. But in your case, with extension, you might have more room in there to get more wire in without limitation of fi Ed caddy. Know what I mean... But congrats on garage!!!
Thanks, sadly it's not exactly mine. My gf and her friends moved to a new place, and no one there likes spiders and stuff so it's "Mine." But I dont live here and I cant move in(the place is tiny). Not ideal, but at least now I can open up that engine and take my time and not worry about something failing on me at my old garage, which working was always a day or 2 at a time. My old garage's advantage was it was just down stairs. So it's a real trade off, and I have to stock the new garage with a "Mobile" tool kit that will let me work on the bike at either location.
This was something I was planning on doing anyways because I need a travel tool kit and do not want to pull from my nice tools that I already have.
Pic below of the basis if a new garage tool kit. 135$. Will probably be replacing some things in it but... it's a start and I can actually swap the manifold now, I can probably also disassemble the rockers so I can install S&S rocker studs and shafts. I want to grab the S&S billet head breathers for that.

And Oh man I was actually pretty upset when I opened up the frame so I could swap bars and the caddy was missing.
I like my dealership, but BRUH YOU CUT MY CABLES AND DIDNT PUT MY CADDY BACK!? I was more than willing to pay for extensions if they needed them. I told them that.
They snipped and soldered my cables and didnt give me my cable caddy back in the take off parts.
I might resnip the work they did, and use my wirestripper and soldering gun to do proper heat sealed butt joints.
It seems to me, depinning would have been a fair bit less labor...
I like my dealership, but man I can't believe they did that.

Originally Posted by abolton89
Looks like that seat paint is holding nicely. I was super curious to see how its been turning out.
It's actually not holding all that well. I guess this is a good a time as any for an update.
I need to take it back off the bike and spray it again. Once the cans run out of paint, I'm going to get a black color and respray it again so that as it falls off you wont notice.
I may just email saddlemen and ask them how much it would cost to re leather it to tan cork with gold thread like my solo seat.
OR... I ask saddlemen about that new road sofa seat, one of those in tan cork and gold thread would be awesome.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 09-25-2024 at 04:58 PM.
tclhb (09-27-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 04:49 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 840 Likes on 378 Posts

Installed a gauge visor to cut down on glare. The lcd readout is hard to see in any kind of daylight and this helped a lot.

The following 4 users liked this post by shiftace:
ACE_Moto88 (09-26-2024), BlueridgeXL (09-26-2024), Ozharleyguy (09-26-2024), Rabianegra (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 06:21 PM
Powermankw
Tourer

Holy crap... I can't believe that either.

Yay for spiders! 🤣

FranBunnyFFXII (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024, 07:00 PM
NZLowrider
Tourer
Received 200 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace
Installed a gauge visor to cut down on glare. The lcd readout is hard to see in any kind of daylight and this helped a lot.

Sweet where did ya get it?

Old 09-25-2024, 07:43 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by shiftace
That finish actually looks very well done. Does it look as good in person?

Originally Posted by Powermankw
Holy crap... I can't believe that either.

Yay for spiders! 🤣
Haha, yeah unironically a Spider Bro moment.
We had a really big one that got caught in the middle of the garage floor one night and scared the **** out of a family member and he was too big for them to get close to and bolted out of the garage. So we call him Glenn. Thanks Glenn, lmao.

Now to get this damn bike build finished.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 09-25-2024 at 07:45 PM.
Powermankw (09-26-2024)
Old 09-26-2024, 01:29 AM
Powermankw
Tourer

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
That finish actually looks very well done. Does it look as good in person?

Haha, yeah unironically a Spider Bro moment.
We had a really big one that got caught in the middle of the garage floor one night and scared the **** out of a family member and he was too big for them to get close to and bolted out of the garage. So we call him Glenn. Thanks Glenn, lmao.

Now to get this damn bike build finished.
🤣🤣🤣

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?