2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2024, 06:21 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 345 Likes on 204 Posts

Did the engine, trans and primary fluids at 3k. Decide to try Redline trans fluid, looked like pepto bismol, almost took a hit to settle down the black coffee. Curious to see how the trans feels, the F+ that had 2k on it was super clean in the trans, the primary at 2k not so much.

Old 09-08-2024, 07:23 AM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,823 Likes on 1,468 Posts

New bike? Why are you changing trans and primary fluid after only 2,000 miles?

Old 09-08-2024, 07:27 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Stiction of the clutch plates prevents them from freeing up. That's why it's easier to find neutral when the bike warms.
Good answer and I learned a new word. TY.

Old 09-08-2024, 06:11 PM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
Well to be clear, neutral is zero problems for me. When new it was, and I was new. After some miles, no sweat. Went to mobile 1 in all 3 at 1000 miles and 5000. Getting neutral was never a problem. Now with Redline, well it's still not a problem... Maybe a bit more sure thing.

When I checked my clutch at 1000, it was 3/4s out, so I did it at 3/4s out... And I just adjusted it because it did stretch... 3/4s out. Zero problems with neutral.

Now the only problem I do have... Before, and still... I keep forgetting to downshift at stops and I start in 2nd or third... Except I'm not forgetting. Afterwards I'm like don't do that again... But I downshift, but it doesn't reset for next. So I'm shifting down to 2nd...but it never goes to 2nd. I shift with authority, but I realize I'm just going thru the motions and it's not actually resetting to shift down to next.

I've checked my linkage, everything is tight and clear. I don't know if it's a hot thing. I sort of just assume it's operator error... Unless you guys can tell me that actually a thing.
Did you adjust the length of the linkage at all? This happened to me when I was playing with the shifter height and lengthening the linkage to bring the shifter lower. If you lengthen it too much the lever will make contact with the inner primary case and prevent full travel. I came to this idea after my test ride around the block that maybe something was getting hung up or I reinstalled the linkage incorrectly and noticed how far the forward lever was going and tried to slide a piece of paper between it and the inner primary case when depressing the shifter down and it was fully touching. Ended up moving the whole shifter a tooth down and then adjusted the shift linkage and checked the gap and now with the shifter at the height I liked I tested that gap and now a business card can fit and slide freely with the level depressed completely downward.

Old 09-08-2024, 08:09 PM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ACE_Moto88
Did you adjust the length of the linkage at all? This happened to me when I was playing with the shifter height and lengthening the linkage to bring the shifter lower. If you lengthen it too much the lever will make contact with the inner primary case and prevent full travel. I came to this idea after my test ride around the block that maybe something was getting hung up or I reinstalled the linkage incorrectly and noticed how far the forward lever was going and tried to slide a piece of paper between it and the inner primary case when depressing the shifter down and it was fully touching. Ended up moving the whole shifter a tooth down and then adjusted the shift linkage and checked the gap and now with the shifter at the height I liked I tested that gap and now a business card can fit and slide freely with the level depressed completely downward.
I did, but I checked clearances and I'm not even close to contact.

Old 09-08-2024, 08:09 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
Changed trans oil from Red Line Shockproof 75W-90 to HD Heavy Gear Oil 80W-140, from recommendations of members saying HD heavy gear oil makes it easier to find neutral.

First ride after trans oil change last evening didn't seem any easier finding neutral. The big difference happened when I changed factory oil to Red Line at 1,000 mile service. Change to Red Line definitely improved finding neutral, although it still wasn't reliable all the time.

I'm at 5,000 miles now. Next week is supposed to be good riding weather around here, I'll put some more miles on it and see if it improves any.

Not hating or loving either product, just reporting my results.
Update after a couple more hard rides - neutral is much easier to find. Every. Time. Must have taken a while to work the new oil into all the nooks and crannies to displace the old oil.

So now my experience matches those of earlier posters. HD Heavy Gear Oil 80W-140 works great in the trans. One poster said it shears down with miles (don't remember how soon) and needs to be changed more often than OEM Manual says (20,000 miles). i.e. - finding neutral starts becoming difficult again. But it only takes one quart of oil, so it's not expensive and is easy to change, no filter either. I'm sold.

Still not gonna try it in the primary. That oil is awful thick for a roller chain and clutch plates.

Old 09-09-2024, 09:20 AM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Powermankw
I did, but I checked clearances and I'm not even close to contact.
Hmmm...I had a similar issue but the other way around, my 1-2 shift would result in falling into N until I adjusted my clutch. I found for my bike 1/2 turn out seems to be the sweet spot with it being easy to find N and positive engagement of all gears and friction zone of the lever.

Old 09-11-2024, 06:19 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
New bike? Why are you changing trans and primary fluid after only 2,000 miles?
It’s my first new HD. I’ve had a few other new bikes (metric) and a few used HD’s. The 23 FXL has been a peach, no false neutrals, no shifting woes and the motor doesn’t use a drop of oil. No highway miles, all mountain roads and it’s gets run as hard as my skills allow.

I did the first oil change at 260 miles, the second service was at 980, a 1k service with M1 engine and F+ in the primary and trans. Normally, I run an oil change in the early fall (2-3k of hot summer riding) and one around Easter. Two changes a year regardless of miles. The primary and trans get once a year fluid swaps.

Heard about the Redline shock proof stuff and decided to give it a go and found it’s not my cup. Very thin and could feel/hear the downshifts, dropped that pinko stuff out and went with good old F+ in the tranny.

Most of the gents who I listen to recommend F+ in the primary. On the engine oil M1 is fairly cheap, readily available and has lots of zinc and phosphorus. I’m sure there’s a good bit of life left in the oil I drain out but it makes sense to my OCD.

The following users liked this post:
Bricklayer (09-11-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 05:11 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer

Got rid of the mailbox intake and went big sucker. And it’s good to be back home again.

The following users liked this post:
Urban Gorilla (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 08:51 AM
abolton89
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Delete

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?