2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024, 05:20 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 345 Likes on 204 Posts

Got a bit of seat time in, 100 miles. Really enjoyed the seating position, closer to the bars than I thought and a smidge higher. It’s a sporty seating arrangement and it would be a bit tight for bigger dudes. Fits me perfectly, I’m 5’8 and 165 pounds.

I think HD should offer this softail setup as a super sport; with factory Ohlins, setup a smidge higher and a 200 rear tire. Paint it blue with old school twin black stripes like a 69 Camaro, over the faring, down the tank and rear fender. A super sport with a 121 would be the bees knees and it might bring in some youth. Get me Zietz on line one.

The following users liked this post:
ACE_Moto88 (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 09:50 AM
Mr.Rabies
Cruiser
Veteran: Army
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Added heat blocker on the bottom of the seat and swapped out the belt cover with a Carbon fiber one. the metal one is really heavy for what it is. found a good deal so why not...but now everything must be CF.....

BlueridgeXL (09-04-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 10:16 AM
abolton89
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Delete

Last edited by abolton89; 09-03-2024 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2024, 10:19 AM
abolton89
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Rabies
Added heat blocker on the bottom of the seat and swapped out the belt cover with a Carbon fiber one. the metal one is really heavy for what it is. found a good deal so why not...but now everything must be CF.....

What material did you use?

I know from back in my sportbike days, BMW guys would wrap their intake box in this to keep the air cooler for IAT's. I never chased 1 or 2 horse power but I do notice on the Harley some heat coming up from below the seat to cause some mean swamp ***.

Did it help??

Old 09-03-2024, 10:24 AM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by abolton89
I never chased 1 or 2 horse power but I do notice on the Harley some heat coming up from below the seat to cause some mean swamp ***.
I've found that heat is coming from the rear cylinder, I know Harley sells those mid-frame air deflectors that people have raved work really well for negating this but it's one of those farkles I've never been fond of the look that I can't be bothered to buy and install. I only really notice this too when I get caught in traffic and have no way out/around it and have to creep along slowly. Otherwise air movement at speed handles it all.

Old 09-03-2024, 10:25 AM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueridgeXL
I think HD should offer this softail setup as a super sport; with factory Ohlins, setup a smidge higher and a 200 rear tire. Paint it blue with old school twin black stripes like a 69 Camaro, over the faring, down the tank and rear fender. A super sport with a 121 would be the bees knees and it might bring in some youth. Get me Zietz on line one.
Something like this would have me trading in my bike and figuring out how to swing a new bike purchase with the wife lol

BlueridgeXL (09-04-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 12:22 PM
Mr.Rabies
Cruiser
Veteran: Army
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by abolton89
What material did you use?
I know from back in my sportbike days, BMW guys would wrap their intake box in this to keep the air cooler for IAT's. I never chased 1 or 2 horse power but I do notice on the Harley some heat coming up from below the seat to cause some mean swamp ***.
Did it help??
rode today. felt 0 warmth. cold morning. was kinda cold actually. welll see when it gets hotter today.
is a heat resistant tape. you can it cheap on ebay. its flexible like a real thin fiberglass layer with metallic coating.

Old 09-06-2024, 01:01 AM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

Adjusted my clutch. It needed it. Bled my brakes for giggles. The fronts looked new still, but the rear was definitely fouled... For new. Cloudy. We'll see if it's better tomorrow.

I swapped out some fluids. I use Mobile 1 in all 3 holes. I've been looking for the quietest... To see. I know plenty will do, just curious. I switched to Refline Primary Case oil and Redline 75-110 gear oil for trans. It's not night and day, but it all is the smoothest, quietest, shifting I've had. Neutral wasn't hard to find, but easy now. Shifts still clunk, but less, smooth. Some are silent. Compensator still whines. Mobile 1 isn't lacking and I'm partial to it, but I'll probably stick with Redline in the primary and trans.

Old 09-06-2024, 10:24 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

Changed trans oil from Red Line Shockproof 75W-90 to HD Heavy Gear Oil 80W-140, from recommendations of members saying HD heavy gear oil makes it easier to find neutral.

First ride after trans oil change last evening didn't seem any easier finding neutral. The big difference happened when I changed factory oil to Red Line at 1,000 mile service. Change to Red Line definitely improved finding neutral, although it still wasn't reliable all the time.

I'm at 5,000 miles now. Next week is supposed to be good riding weather around here, I'll put some more miles on it and see if it improves any.

Not hating or loving either product, just reporting my results.

Old 09-06-2024, 12:56 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
Changed trans oil from Red Line Shockproof 75W-90 to HD Heavy Gear Oil 80W-140, from recommendations of members saying HD heavy gear oil makes it easier to find neutral.

First ride after trans oil change last evening didn't seem any easier finding neutral. The big difference happened when I changed factory oil to Red Line at 1,000 mile service. Change to Red Line definitely improved finding neutral, although it still wasn't reliable all the time.

I'm at 5,000 miles now. Next week is supposed to be good riding weather around here, I'll put some more miles on it and see if it improves any.

Not hating or loving either product, just reporting my results.
Primary oil has more to do with finding neutral than trans oil.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?