2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 08:37 PM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 155 Posts

Put on American Elite, wide white walls today on my Heritage. Needed new rubber as I am headed to the Blue Ridge next weekend. Also installed Memphis Shades clear hand guards. Had a set on my Sport Glide and they do keep your hands a lot dryer in light rain, warmer too.

Old 08-17-2024, 02:39 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Added Iron Born Sissy bar with rack
Bung King front and rear guards
Ram mount for the phone. I screwed up and bought the small, should have gotten large. It works, but my phone buttons are weird, and I can't center the phone in the mount.

Also added a Viking swingarm bag in brown. A place for tools and bungees.

The following users liked this post:
stratplexi (08-22-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 04:38 PM
1185Wak#her18
Road Captain
Received 388 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt07
Put on American Elite, wide white walls today on my Heritage. Needed new rubber as I am headed to the Blue Ridge next weekend. Also installed Memphis Shades clear hand guards. Had a set on my Sport Glide and they do keep your hands a lot dryer in light rain, warmer too.
I was thinking about putting those on my Heritage.

Could you post a picture?
Just curious to see how it looks.

Old 08-17-2024, 09:43 PM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Finally got around to installing the ST shock on my street bob. Quick and easy install, spent more time adjusting the belt tension.

The following 2 users liked this post by ACE_Moto88:
BlueridgeXL (08-18-2024), OldMike (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 03:21 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by ACE_Moto88
Finally got around to installing the ST shock on my street bob. Quick and easy install, spent more time adjusting the belt tension.
Good job!
I changed to the next size up adjuster mounting bolt and adjusted the belt too, even though I used a lowering link to keep the ride height about the same.
I thought the stock 12.6", 2023 Street Bob shock worked well but this taller shock does absorb more of the road bumps,

Old 08-18-2024, 06:35 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

I finally got to do some legit 2 up touring with my bike. My gf and I went to DreamRoll and this is my setup now for fully loaded touring.
Estimated 1050lbs with both of us on the bike, and a full tank of gas.
That 22XE cam really making itself worth it now.
Both tents are ours, and this was totally made possible by those vacuum compression bags compressed by hand. 2x sleeping bags, pads, trekology pillows, hoodies, an 8inch squishmallow, 2 tents(2p tent for us, 1tent for all our gear), all in that bigbag.
550cord and 1/4inch bungie cord to carry the towel rolls. a dozen mini carabiners to clip **** to the molle webbing on the bag.
It worked out well.
And finally got to put that tankbag to use. I put masking tape down before putting the bag on since it's magnetic.
But DAMN the bike was sluggish that heavily weighted down.
Unfortunately I lost my "garage" the day before we left so I have no idea when I'll be able to swap to the 55mm manifold and other stuff.

Unfortunately the SEM Seat paint has been scratched a little so I will probably have to redo the top coat and figure out the best way to protect it.

The following 5 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
CryingJoker (08-19-2024), imoo6170 (08-18-2024), Lammy1000 (08-18-2024), luckiestiff (08-19-2024), NZLowrider (08-20-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 07:22 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I finally got to do some legit 2 up touring with my bike.
Be careful there. Any of those ropes and towels come lose and get caught up in the rear wheel, you know the ending. That much leveraged weight on the rear on that bike will affect stability and front braking.

Old 08-18-2024, 07:31 PM
Powermankw
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
Be careful there. Any of those ropes and towels come lose and get caught up in the rear wheel, you know the ending. That much leveraged weight on the rear on that bike will affect stability and front braking.
When I was young, there was a duffle bag strapped down... Came into a corner too hot, managed not to crash into guard rail, but bag came loose, got caught up, went down... Broken foot. True story.

Old 08-18-2024, 07:44 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Rope

Had a good friend lose his wife from a scarf she had on . Part of it got caught in the rear wheel snapped her neck killed her instantly. Yeah so be careful

Old 08-18-2024, 07:53 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Everything there is doubled or triple tied, plus I plan on sewing the knots before I use them again. PLUS PLUS, zip tied down.
The biggest concern was really just making sure the rear lights were not covered, so that drivers behind me were able to see them.

The loops for the towels and tent are deliberately small so that they compress the towel/tent down so that it takes REAL effort to pull them out. That's why they're double loop secured, and multiple lines to prevent things from coming loose.
I come from the mindset of aircraft design, and with aircraft and rocketry, you want redundancies upon redundancies.
I had a friend who was out riding for a long trip, and one of his straps came loose and almost took him out. Bent his axle adjustors, ended his summer trip before he got out of the state. So I went in with the idea of making sure that didnt happen.

My biggest fear was being rear ended or pulled over because someone couldnt see my rear lights.

As for handling and braking, the biggest difference was really just sluggishness. The bike needs to be handled more smoothly and more slowly.
But it's not something I'm unfamiliar with. I have done a fair bit of 2 up riding with a loaded rack, definitely not new to it.
Also both me and my gf are tiny people haha. If I was a big man and my girl was fat, might be more concerned haha.
These new Harleys aren't prone to deathwobble issues either, they handle the weight differences pretty good.
I'm really just impressed with these bikes, especially after riding indian's gen2 chief. These M8 Softails are ****in great bikes.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?