2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2024, 02:37 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts

A good upgrade I should have done before...
Well I received the new mufflers today for my Heritage, a pair of original silencers decatalyzed by American Custom.
I like the original look with the classic tapered tips and I tried the Hydra Glide Revival from my best friend which fitted the same ones and the sound is very good, neither too loud nor too quiet, I can no longer stand the Cobra Neighbor Haters which I find obnoxious and which I am going to sell as a result...

in any case the products were very well packaged...

Little return after the assembly of my original decatalyzed exhausts and a ride of around a hundred kms to test.
First the look: ultimately I like the original tapered silencers which have been present on many models over the years, it's a great classic...
Then, the music: when you start up the sound is much more deeper than the Cobras, normal the pipes are much larger, but it remains contained and not aggressive, as I like.
For the little story with the Cobras, I had to get earplugs, because for me it was impossible to ride without with my hearing problems, I chose the Alpine brand which makes very good products, at the beginning I tried with the "Moto Safe" models designed precisely for this use, which were clearly insufficient, then I took the "Work Safe" models designed for people who work in a noisy environment, which were also insufficient as they go. very good on the Low Rider S with the "Twin Slash" and the "quiet baffles", so I fell back on the "Music Safe" intended for concert musicians and that was pretty much okay, but to tell the truth I never liked these Cobras that were too noisy and above all too clicking with a strong resonance in my helmet, especially when driving at low revs and at rather slow speeds, especially when riding on the small roads that I love so much.
There with the new exhausts, no more clicking noises when restarting at low revs, it's rounder, there is no longer this jerky noise which gave the impression that the engine was knocking, I also gained in flexibility, I resume lower and I thus benefit better from the smoothness of the 107, a real pleasure, and when you open the sound is very present like a galloping horse, and so now I use the "Moto Safe" earplugss and it goes very well, in short only good, and yet I haven't touched the map, I'm waiting for feedback from FP3 support to tell me which one will be best suited for me and I'll do some "autotunes"...

Ultimately I should have changed these exhausts a long time ago, now I feel really good on my Heritage...

Last edited by Big Al 59; 08-02-2024 at 03:54 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Big Al 59:
Firedude2 (08-03-2024), oldbie (08-04-2024), OldMike (08-02-2024), skm348 (08-02-2024), StevieMac! (08-02-2024), tngarren (08-05-2024), Urban Gorilla (08-02-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-02-2024, 04:28 AM
BlueridgeXL
Tourer
Received 345 Likes on 204 Posts

Ordered parts for my low rider to Low-Bob conversion - fender, rails, seat and lighting. All my bikes are bobbed and I dig the fatbob rear.

Need to thank WellAimedRound for the post and pics, a massive help - Low bob

Diggy-diggy.

Hopefully, I’ll be done in a few weeks, parts are trickling in.

The following 4 users liked this post by BlueridgeXL:
ACE_Moto88 (08-02-2024), Kadorja (08-03-2024), StevieMac! (08-02-2024), tclhb (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 09:08 AM
StevieMac!
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Love it!

Old 08-02-2024, 09:22 AM
Stootorial
Club Member
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueridgeXL
Ordered parts for my low rider to Low-Bob conversion - fender, rails, seat and lighting. All my bikes are bobbed and I dig the fatbob rear.

Need to thank WellAimedRound for the post and pics, a massive help - Low bob

Diggy-diggy.

Hopefully, I’ll be done in a few weeks, parts are trickling in.
This looks really cool.

I'm kinda going the other way with mine, Fat Bob to LRS (ish)

Already done the 5 gal tank, high risers and bars, relocated gauges etc.

Contemplating the Baja LP4s in my sharknado now too.

The following users liked this post:
BlueridgeXL (08-03-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 02:20 PM
skm348
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
Well I received the new mufflers today for my Heritage, a pair of original silencers decatalyzed by American Custom.
I like the original look with the classic tapered tips and I tried the Hydra Glide Revival from my best friend which fitted the same ones and the sound is very good, neither too loud nor too quiet, I can no longer stand the Cobra Neighbor Haters which I find obnoxious and which I am going to sell as a result...

Little return after the assembly of my original decatalyzed exhausts and a ride of around a hundred kms to test.
First the look: ultimately I like the original tapered silencers which have been present on many models over the years, it's a great classic...
Then, the music: when you start up the sound is much more deeper than the Cobras, normal the pipes are much larger, but it remains contained and not aggressive, as I like.
For the little story with the Cobras, I had to get earplugs, because for me it was impossible to ride without with my hearing problems, I chose the Alpine brand which makes very good products, at the beginning I tried with the "Moto Safe" models designed precisely for this use, which were clearly insufficient, then I took the "Work Safe" models designed for people who work in a noisy environment, which were also insufficient as they go. very good on the Low Rider S with the "Twin Slash" and the "quiet baffles", so I fell back on the "Music Safe" intended for concert musicians and that was pretty much okay, but to tell the truth I never liked these Cobras that were too noisy and above all too clicking with a strong resonance in my helmet, especially when driving at low revs and at rather slow speeds, especially when riding on the small roads that I love so much.
There with the new exhausts, no more clicking noises when restarting at low revs, it's rounder, there is no longer this jerky noise which gave the impression that the engine was knocking, I also gained in flexibility, I resume lower and I thus benefit better from the smoothness of the 107, a real pleasure, and when you open the sound is very present like a galloping horse, and so now I use the "Moto Safe" earplugss and it goes very well, in short only good, and yet I haven't touched the map, I'm waiting for feedback from FP3 support to tell me which one will be best suited for me and I'll do some "autotunes"...

Ultimately I should have changed these exhausts a long time ago, now I feel really good on my Heritage...
BigAl - these look nice. Are these the pre-made exhausts? I know you can also send in your stock ones and they will modify them in quiet, medium, or loud configuration. I think their pre-made versions are the medium quiet style. What percentage louder would you say these are as compared to stock exhausts? Do they have a nice deep tone and not too clangy? I’m sure they are much quieter than the Cobra’s..Thanks

Last edited by skm348; 08-02-2024 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2024, 03:00 PM
Gorion
Road Captain
Veteran: Coast GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 367 Likes on 208 Posts

Picked it up from the shop. Pipes and Cr483 cam

Audio:
(sounds great in my headphones lol)

Last edited by Gorion; 08-03-2024 at 03:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Gorion:
ACE_Moto88 (08-06-2024), Biggzed (08-05-2024), stratplexi (08-04-2024), Urban Gorilla (08-04-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 08:46 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 195 Posts
Default American Custom

Originally Posted by Big Al 59

You have a to video of it running with the American Custom exhaust on it ?

Old 08-04-2024, 08:18 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by skm348
BigAl - these look nice. Are these the pre-made exhausts? I know you can also send in your stock ones and they will modify them in quiet, medium, or loud configuration. I think their pre-made versions are the medium quiet style. What percentage louder would you say these are as compared to stock exhausts? Do they have a nice deep tone and not too clangy? I’m sure they are much quieter than the Cobra’s..Thanks
Yes absolutely they are pre-made models, because from France it would have been too expensive to send mine back.
Otherwise for the sound I would say that it is approximately twice as loud as the OEM exhaust, the sound is more deeper and contained at idle than the Cobra, and when you open the throttle the sound is also present, but it is more rounded and regular , there is not this clicking and this jerky noise that I had with the Cobra and I no longer have these resonances in my helmet, so I use much less restrictive earplugs.
At the end of the day, they are not much far quieter than the Cobra, only a liitle bit but the tone is différent, much more pleasant for me...
I will try to make a video with the sound asap...

Last edited by Big Al 59; 08-04-2024 at 08:20 AM.
skm348 (08-04-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 02:55 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by FXLRyan
interesting how you only gained 5 HP. Usually hp gain is huge and the torque is the smaller gain

somethin seems a little off
That's a 5hp gain over the tune that was in it when the dyno session started (with the CR480). That's not a comparison of stock cam to CR480. Looks like he made 11 runs.

I would have thought you would have had around 110hp/120tq with a 107, but without a baseline run before cam swap you can't really tell what the increase was. As long as it runs smooth, not hot, gets normal mileage and your happy that's all that matters.

Zach

davekp (08-05-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 01:38 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

I decided to move the Power Vision above the top clamp. Much cleaner looking IMO and will make re-fueling easier.
Zach

The following 3 users liked this post by Biggzed:
CryingJoker (08-06-2024), Gorion (08-06-2024), luckiestiff (08-07-2024)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?