2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 06:42 AM
skm348
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra23
SKM348: You probably gained some low end torque by replacing the zombies with the 2.5's
Cobra, yes, my thoughts as well. My butt Dyno perceived a tad more ‘pull’ at the bottom along with the more refined sound.

Old 07-19-2024, 04:12 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieMac!
Thanks. The ride quality seems quite similar to stock to me, but I'm a real lightweight at only 135 lbs so I don't compress the suspension much at all even with the preload at its lowest setting.

The remote preload adjuster makes getting the shock in and out a little more complicated but nothing major. Just a couple other things to unbolt.

I opted to buy the Kodlin shock compressor tool which made that part of the job very easy.

Having a second set of hands available makes re and re of the shock a little easier but it's certainly doable on your own.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions.
thanks for the info and feedback. I keep the preload on the soft side and I weigh 190. I am considering lowering for looks only. I just think the dragster style, it looks better when lowered. I still have my CVO Road King when I am traveling or want bags and comfort. I will probably wait until winter to tear into it. Not enough riding time as it is…lol.

The following users liked this post:
StevieMac! (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 09:36 PM
1185Wak#her18
Road Captain
Received 388 Likes on 215 Posts

Just rode my 2018 Heritage to work and back.

Old 07-19-2024, 09:38 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Did some fork re-aligment stuff today, trying to figure out why my bike tracks to the left. The odd slight lean to the right I was getting seems to be gone so rear tire alignment check and test next.

Old 07-20-2024, 06:03 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,073 Posts

What did you find or do with that fork realignment?
I sit similarly on my Heritage, leaning the bike a bit to the right. I just though it was the weight of the primary on the left and my compensating for it. But, perhaps not.

Old 07-20-2024, 07:21 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
What did you find or do with that fork realignment?
I sit similarly on my Heritage, leaning the bike a bit to the right. I just though it was the weight of the primary on the left and my compensating for it. But, perhaps not.
One of my fork legs was sitting higher than the other so I just loosened it and dropped it down to try to match the other fork leg.
I'm trying to eliminate anything that might be causing the bike to track left.

The following users liked this post:
foxtrapper (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 07:51 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
One of my fork legs was sitting higher than the other so I just loosened it and dropped it down to try to match the other fork leg.
I'm trying to eliminate anything that might be causing the bike to track left.
Every Harley I've owned (3) has tracked to the left when I've taken my hands off the bars. Every shaft drive bike I've owned (3) has tracked to the left when I've taken my hands off the bars. Every chain drive non-Harley (4) I've owned has tracked straight down the road when riding no-handed. I've always assumed that it has to do with the additional left side weight of the primary on the Harley's and the left side shaft drive weight on the others. On my '22 Heritage, if I put my 6 or 7 pound tool roll in the right side saddlebag, it tracks straight. I know 6 or 7 pounds isn't that much, but in the saddlebag it's farther away from the center line of the bike than the primary is.

That's all I've got. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Crazy; 07-20-2024 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2024, 08:23 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,728 Likes on 891 Posts

My LRS tracks straight when I take my hands off the bars.
I've had a few bikes that would track straight only when I shifted my weight or leaned to one side and canted the bike slightly or sat askew in the saddle. That would imply a weight imbalance.
Pulling one way or the other suggests wheel misalignment. If one fork leg is higher than the other that would definitely pull the steering. At speed motorcycles steer by gyroscopic effect. If you hold a bicycle wheel by its spindle and spin it and then tip the spindle downwards to the right the wheel will turn on its axis to the right. Tip it down to the left and it will turn to the left. that's how counter-steering works. Therefore if the left hand fork leg was sitting lower than the right hand leg, the front wheel would be canted to the left and the bike would continually try to pull in that direction.

Wheel alignment is a PITA unless you've got shaft drive when (assuming the factory have got it right) the rear wheel is fixed. There are so many variables that can skew it. And then it gets complicated by uneven tyre wear. Floating front spindles, where the spindle is held by clamps to the base of the fork leg can cause problems is the spindle isn't centered before tightening the clamps when refitting the front wheel. My KTM has a specific procedure for tightening the clamp bolts and pumping the forks to centralise the spindle to avoid this. If you get it wrong you can really feel it - you get a choppy ride and you have to sit cockeyed in the saddle to get it to ride straight.

Old 07-20-2024, 08:26 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimlet
My LRS tracks straight when I take my hands off the bars.
I've had a few bikes that would track straight only when I shifted my weight or leaned to one side and canted the bike slightly or sat askew in the saddle. That would imply a weight imbalance.

That's exactly what I'm talking about with my bikes.

Old 07-20-2024, 08:39 AM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,728 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
That's exactly what I'm talking about with my bikes.
You must be right then. A weight bias on the primary side. Though I still don't get it on my LRS. Or if I do it's barely noticeable (I'll have to check now when I next ride it..). Lighter bike maybe, with a lower centre of gravity because of the layout/seating position?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?