2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 01:33 PM
luckiestiff
Road Master
Received 680 Likes on 315 Posts

@1946acky I hate to bother you but you get a pic from straight behind the bike, showing the bags? I like the profile of those bags but have yet to see how wide they are on a bike. Did the paint match the vivid black? What do you think of them overall?
thanks

Old 05-25-2024, 02:59 PM
1946acky
Advanced
Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2018+ Softail

Luckie and WXSW,

I've attached a couple of pix from the rear of the bike. Saddlebag edge to saddlebag edge is 29" wide.

The Viking bags I have are the painted Darkin 32L. I liked them simply because they were good looking and there was no relocation of the rear signals. Took me about an hour to put them on and they've been excellent. I would say the color match is pretty spot on. The customer service from Viking was very good as they came within a couple of weeks.
I thought the cost was pretty reasonable and I see they now have a 20% discount for Memorial Day.
Trust me I'm not a shill for Viking. I just think we had a very smooth transaction and I'm very pleased with the product.
Have a safe weekend.

Acky

The following 3 users liked this post by 1946acky:
jyx (05-26-2024), StevieMac! (05-25-2024), WXSW (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 03:01 PM
luckiestiff
Road Master
Received 680 Likes on 315 Posts

Thank you very much! I'm going to have to look into those a little harder

Old 05-25-2024, 03:05 PM
WXSW
Club Member
Received 393 Likes on 184 Posts

That’s good to hear. Thank you!

Old 05-25-2024, 05:13 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

It's a small thing but makes a difference for highspeed passes, I put Ride-On tire balancer and sealant in my tires.
12oz in the front and 12oz in the back.
This is more for the front wheel than the back, it's to keep the tires properly and consistently balanced over time since riding in excess of 120mph you can get some serious and dangerous speed wobbles out of a slightly out of balance tire. I don't even really use it for the anti-flat protection.
I should have put this stuff in the moment I got the bike back from the dealership, but it's whatever, it's in there now. I do this for ever set of tires put on my bike.

Old 05-25-2024, 08:54 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
It's a small thing but makes a difference for highspeed passes, I put Ride-On tire balancer and sealant in my tires.
12oz in the front and 12oz in the back.
This is more for the front wheel than the back, it's to keep the tires properly and consistently balanced over time since riding in excess of 120mph you can get some serious and dangerous speed wobbles out of a slightly out of balance tire. I don't even really use it for the anti-flat protection.
I should have put this stuff in the moment I got the bike back from the dealership, but it's whatever, it's in there now. I do this for ever set of tires put on my bike.
Do you ever get tire guys complaining? You know, because of the goo that's in there. Does it make swapping tires any more difficult?

Old 05-25-2024, 09:18 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by harkon
Do you ever get tire guys complaining? You know, because of the goo that's in there. Does it make swapping tires any more difficult?
I've only had 2 sets of tires changed, but I've not had any complaints. This stuff is goo, but it's not like slime where it gets all over the ****in place. It sort of surface tension adheres itself to the tire and flattens out as it balances.
It doesnt get on wheels like Slime does, and it doesnt stick to metal or anything very well so it gets flung off the rim.
I've not really seen any complaints about it like tire slim or dynabeads.
I know some shops will charge you extra if you used stuff like slime because it's a pain in the *** to deal with. This stuff isn't really that kind of a problem.

Old 05-25-2024, 09:25 PM
Phil McGrath
Tourer
Received 245 Likes on 133 Posts
Question

Fran, I thought I saw something about the cam is in? If so how are you liking it?

Old 05-25-2024, 09:35 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Phil McGrath
Fran, I thought I saw something about the cam is in? If so how are you liking it?
TBH I haven't had that much time to give it a good run because of life circumstances.
It seems faster, with a softer bottom end, and the shift points per gear are noticably higher.
The bike is louder, louder than I want it to be tbh. Im debating about opening up that box of SE Street cannons that's been collecting dust to see how loud the bike is with them.
I'm not going to really give it a serious evaluation though until I got the 55manifold and 5.5injectors in and Me n Jamie can give a real attempt at tuning and getting the bike dialed in.
The big downside right now is fuel economy is trash. From mid 40s and even 50s to 31~38mpg.
I believe the bike is running overly rich and I'm going to do some more autotuning after some tweaks.

I've been riding 2 up more than solo right now so evaluating the performance compared to the SE torque cam is hard. I dont remember how good the torque cam was 2 up because it's been like 6 months since I rode with a passenger, and then the cam swap. Then I needed the bike for 2 up riding.

The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Phil McGrath (05-25-2024), tclhb (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 07:48 AM
MrLongbeard
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 117 Posts

Took the wheels off

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?