2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 12:35 AM
Tha_Big_Ohh
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
Took the LRS out for a quick 100 mile trip yesterday, and I must say, that new shock was a mighty fine improvement! Thanks @b2inUT !

Also, my wife said yesterday that she's interested in learning to ride, so we might be adding a cheap Sportster to the stable soon here
Do yourself a favor and just find her a decent low mileage Dyna and skip the sporty. I bought mine a sportster and within a few months traded it up to a Dyna.

The following users liked this post:
Mr.Rabies (04-23-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 03:01 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I've heard from a few people that the M8 street bob/standard is the first cruiser harley to handle better than the FXR, but with more power.
I've neve ridden an FXR so I cant compare, but that made me pretty interested in the bike.
You got any plans for it?
the m8 low rider s and fat bob are the best handling Harley cruiser’s out of the box. I had an fxr in stock form and the low rider s is better. If you take an fxr and build it with the best aftermarket suspension components that’s a different story. The fxr frame is the best frame still to date.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:04 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I traded it!
Time for a re-fresh. The forum needs a "Everything Street Bob" thread.

wait what! A 131 low rider s for a street bob. Congrats. I am sure it will be a great build.

The following 2 users liked this post by Durham man:
Mr.Rabies (04-23-2024), OldMike (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 07:29 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Tha_Big_Ohh
Do yourself a favor and just find her a decent low mileage Dyna and skip the sporty. I bought mine a sportster and within a few months traded it up to a Dyna.
That's certainly an option, she really likes the look of the new Nightster as well.

However, I'm gonna try to make her hold off until AFTER she takes the riding course..

imoo6170 (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:21 AM
Harman
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Just the opposite. Do yourself a favor and just find a low mileage Sportster 1200. I've owned a couple of 1200 Sportsters and put 10's of thousands of miles on them. They're way lighter than a Dyna (solid mount Sporsters are sub 500 lbs) and you're going to pay way less. I had a '92 XLH1200, a friend still owns a late 90's (I think '97) evo low rider. Even after he installed a cam, the bike couldn't keep up. Low, heavy and slow... It's a very nice bike but the added weight would be a headache for a smaller, beginner rider.
Twin-cam's are more power but still heavy and you'd pay a premium...

The following 3 users liked this post by Harman:
FranBunnyFFXII (04-22-2024), tmac00333 (04-22-2024), wlwoodruff (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 01:37 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

I have never ridden an FXR either, but have plenty of miles on my 21 Street Bob to make the following statement. In stock form (shocks, tires etc) this bike has a ton of room for improvement in handling. I don't know if it's just a tire thing, but my Road Glide felt more stable in high speed corners than this Street Bob.

Maybe by "cruiser" you were referring to non-baggers. IDK.

Zach

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I've heard from a few people that the M8 street bob/standard is the first cruiser harley to handle better than the FXR, but with more power.
I've neve ridden an FXR so I cant compare, but that made me pretty interested in the bike.
You got any plans for it?

Old 04-22-2024, 02:13 PM
wlwoodruff
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
That is good to know! She's got her heart set on an HD bike, so maybe even one of those terrible looking little Street 500 bikes would do the trick. She's only 5'3 so that really limits our options as well.
Speaking here as a guy with three divorces, it's gonna be really important to get the bike she wants, instead of the bike you think she should want. Obviously, as the one with the experience, you should be able to help her avoid any big obvious mistakes, but she if she chooses her own ride, she'll be more inclined to love it.

Not knowing how big or small or athletic she is, it matters why she wants a bike. If she really wants the look and feel and sound that is associated with these bikes, it seems like an air-cooled Sportster would be the bike of choice. If she really just wants something she is going to have fun riding, the new Nightster would seem like a perfect first bike. Under 500 lbs, very low CG, ABS and traction control, and ride modes so that it can ride like a beginner bike in rain mode, and later it can run with the big bikes in sport mode. Whatever gets her to ride with you is a win for both of you.

The following 3 users liked this post by wlwoodruff:
FranBunnyFFXII (04-22-2024), snake_eyes (04-23-2024), tclhb (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 02:22 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by wlwoodruff
it's gonna be really important to get the bike she wants, instead of the bike you think she should want.
You are wise but I think we still pick the bike for her
+1 Guzzi V7

wlwoodruff (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 06:30 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Speaking here as a guy with three divorces, it's gonna be really important to get the bike she wants.
100% This. As a woman, my advice is absolutely get her the bike she wants if it fits her. Period.
This is how you get someone to ride and want to ride. Let her pick it, let her test ride it, ask her how comfortable it is. If she keeps gravitating towards a certain bike, look into making that bike comfortable for her.

This is why I didnt listen to all the men telling me what bike to get. "get a little bike, get something small, get this bike get that bike" Bite me. I got a fat boy, and I still absolutely LOVE my fat boy and there's no god damned way I'd get rid of him. I've had a phenomenally positive experience with the bike.

A friend of mind used to be a bicycle sales man, and professional cycling racer before he got into motorcycles and he said that he always told customers "Get the bike you like the most, because that's the one you'll ride." and often if a guy brought in his wife to get her a bicycle, he'd find some way to get the husband of doing some bullshit so he can talk to the wife by herself and ask her what bike she REALLY wanted. And then when the Husband came back he'd direct him towards the bike the wife really wants.
He says the exact same thing about motorcycles. Get the bike you want to ride. Get your wife the bike she wants the most.

The following 5 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Harman (04-25-2024), leftyjm (04-22-2024), ole_phart (04-23-2024), tclhb (04-22-2024), wlwoodruff (04-22-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:31 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Speaking here as a guy with three divorces, it's gonna be really important to get the bike she wants, instead of the bike you think she should want. Obviously, as the one with the experience, you should be able to help her avoid any big obvious mistakes, but she if she chooses her own ride, she'll be more inclined to love it.

Not knowing how big or small or athletic she is, it matters why she wants a bike. If she really wants the look and feel and sound that is associated with these bikes, it seems like an air-cooled Sportster would be the bike of choice. If she really just wants something she is going to have fun riding, the new Nightster would seem like a perfect first bike. Under 500 lbs, very low CG, ABS and traction control, and ride modes so that it can ride like a beginner bike in rain mode, and later it can run with the big bikes in sport mode. Whatever gets her to ride with you is a win for both of you.
Ultimately it's going to be up to her (hell, she makes 3x what I make so she's footing most of the bill anyway lol), but she's pretty much telling me she wants something small, that looks nice, and sounds good. Specifically she's interested in *anything* Harley or BMW, maybe Ducati. Why those brands? We're a car family, always had "cool" cars like BMWs, older Porsche 911, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Range Rovers, etc... So she understands certain brands have an allure, history, etc.. She's just brand new to looking at bikes on her own, but she knows I come from a long line of Harley and Indian riders (also owned about every make of sport bike but always loved Ducati).

Her coworker that she really likes (female surgeon) also rides and owns some type of softail, a BMW R9T, and a Triumph. So she would consider those as well because that woman has really talked them up quite a bit.

Not to get ahead of myself (she's taking the rider course in June), but my short list is 1) older Sportster that we don't care if if gets dropped, 2) Nightster if she decides she DOES care about her first bike looking nice, and 3) something like a Ducati Scrambler or the one of the smaller BMWs. Personally, I like #1 and #2 the best, because if it doesn't pan out I'd love to own a Sportster, and the nightster would be a fun little 2nd bike or it could be traded in towards a touring bike if she wants to remain a passenger instead of piloting her own bike.

I imagine she'll be an extremely timid rider once she's in control of the bike. Her idea of a "sporty" car is accelerating rapidly onto the highway on the single on-ramp we have, and then setting the cruise 2mph over the speed limit until she gets to work or home.

Her primary reason for wanting a bike is because she's desperate for a hobby and wants something that we can do together, and something she can do with that coworker of hers that doesn't revolve around work or the kids.

Originally Posted by tngarren
You are wise but I think we still pick the bike for her
+1 Guzzi V7
I do love me some Moto Guzzi, but it would be a tough sell getting her onto a bike from a brand she doesn't recognize.

Last edited by RGS88; 04-23-2024 at 09:33 AM.
tngarren (04-23-2024)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?