2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 10:49 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,823 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLongbeard
Changed the oils for its 5000 (cough6000cough) mile service.
What a complete ball ache of a job just to change oil
If I may ask what did you find difficult?

The following users liked this post:
murphc13 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 03:51 AM
MrLongbeard
Tourer
Received 266 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
If I may ask what did you find difficult?
It's not hard, just a ball ache compared to a 'normal' bike with one fill, and one drain,
As said, nothing was difficult, just more time consuming and awkward than it could / should be, if you're asking what I would change given a magic wand and no accountants looking over my shoulder as the engine was designed it would be;

Move to an internal oil filter, or mount a regular filter externally but move it so it is vertical.
Change the O rings to crush washers, they're more reliable in my experience and at a pinch can be reused.
Move the trans fill outboard so parts don't have to be removed to access.
Put a sight glass or dipstick on the primary so the derby cover doesn't have to be removed.
Change the oil system to a wet sump, or move the location / design of the dipstick so the oil level can be checked more consistently.
etc
etc

joenc (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 05:35 AM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

@snake_eyes
Yup that's a street bob. Found the tail light on amazon and took a shot. At the time it had no reviews and it was gamble to see if it would fit. Luckily it was a plug and play affair and piggy backs off the oem tail light plugs.

Amazon Amazon

snake_eyes (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 09:20 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I should put my used one up for sale.
Did you have the Fox? I didn't pull the trigger yet, I'm now having an internal debate on whether or not to buy a shock, or say screw it and just buy the exhaust..

Originally Posted by 702
I had a wife that tried to pull that **** once. Just once. Then she lasted another 25 years before she tried it again. She gone. Next!
I was mostly kidding, we have our shared accounts that pay for the house, groceries, stuff for the kids etc.. and then we have our own accounts to spend on whatever we want.

She was mostly using my own words against me, which is EXACTLY what I ask her to do to keep me level lol

Overall I'm extremely lucky. She told me to sell the RGS and buy the LRS because we weren't riding together as much and she knew I wanted the LRS originally. Now she misses riding and wants another SG or RG, BUT she's telling me to keep my LRS to keep as my "crazy" bike, and she just wants a windshield, fairing, and speakers for some comfy trips when the kids are at daycare/school.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:44 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by ACE_Moto88
@snake_eyes
Yup that's a street bob. Found the tail light on amazon and took a shot. At the time it had no reviews and it was gamble to see if it would fit. Luckily it was a plug and play affair and piggy backs off the oem tail light plugs.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CCJGMJ21?...roduct_details
Thanks for the info. How about brightness and the aim? I just don't understand why none of the big guys make a light for the chopped fender that's on the Street Bob (and other Softails). I even asked Custom Dynamics a couple of years ago and they said that there's no demand. I guess they wouldn't lie but really? No demand?

Old 04-05-2024, 09:53 AM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
Thanks for the info. How about brightness and the aim? I just don't understand why none of the big guys make a light for the chopped fender that's on the Street Bob (and other Softails). I even asked Custom Dynamics a couple of years ago and they said that there's no demand. I guess they wouldn't lie but really? No demand?
It's actually very bright and compliments the two bullet lights well. As much as I hated the OEM third brake light, I felt like there isn't enough lighting at the rear without one and this was a great solution. The aim is a little off, it's definitely pointed more downwards than I'd like but I do plan on raising the rear and increasing the fender gap so I think it'll be better once I change out the rear shock. If you mount it more outboard rather than tucked up in the fender the way I have it, it will be more visible. I tucked it a little further inboard for aesthetic reasons and in anticipation for the changed angle when I raise the rear.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:23 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
Did you have the Fox? I didn't pull the trigger yet, I'm now having an internal debate on whether or not to buy a shock, or say screw it and just buy the exhaust..
Yeah, I have the FOX IFP-R QS3 13inch version siting in my SE Ohlins box atm. But It's a scratch and dent item because the tools I had to use to adjust the preload ate the **** out of the adjustor ring. FOX used a pinch bolt design that makes using a standard preload adjustor spanner practically impossible. The adjustor ring would best be set before you install it in the bike because it's a real pain in the *** to adjust in the bike.
It'd be good for going into a bike that the rider will set the preload and forget it.
I still have the original box and whomever buys it I'll be sending them the tools I used to adjust it since I have zero use for them elsewhere.
It's a great shock but the inability to easily adjust the preload meant that it had to come out.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:59 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Yeah, I have the FOX IFP-R QS3 13inch version siting in my SE Ohlins box atm. But It's a scratch and dent item because the tools I had to use to adjust the preload ate the **** out of the adjustor ring. FOX used a pinch bolt design that makes using a standard preload adjustor spanner practically impossible. The adjustor ring would best be set before you install it in the bike because it's a real pain in the *** to adjust in the bike.
It'd be good for going into a bike that the rider will set the preload and forget it.
I still have the original box and whomever buys it I'll be sending them the tools I used to adjust it since I have zero use for them elsewhere.
It's a great shock but the inability to easily adjust the preload meant that it had to come out.
wanna send me a dm with a price you're looking to get? I may be interested

Old 04-05-2024, 01:32 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,823 Likes on 1,468 Posts

As said, nothing was difficult, just more time consuming and awkward than it could / should be, if you're asking what I would change given a magic wand and no accountants looking over my shoulder as the engine was designed it would be;

Move to an internal oil filter, or mount a regular filter externally but move it so it is vertical.
Change the O rings to crush washers, they're more reliable in my experience and at a pinch can be reused.
Move the trans fill outboard so parts don't have to be removed to access.
Put a sight glass or dipstick on the primary so the derby cover doesn't have to be removed.
Change the oil system to a wet sump, or move the location / design of the dipstick so the oil level can be checked more consistently.
etc
etc
Agree about the oil filter but not a big deal. I use a small metal trough under filter, punch 2 holes (top and bottom) in filter, let it drain... not in a hurry when changing oil.

Never a problem with the o-rings, they can be reused over and over.

Derby cover needs to come off anyways for clutch adjustment

Agree on the trans dip stick location, don't believe much thought went into that.

No problem here with the dipstick

Last edited by Bricklayer; 04-05-2024 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:39 PM
stepbill
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Added a new Screaming Eagle air cleaner today. The install was easy. I followed a youtube video that even had the torque values listed. Just had to buy an inch to pounds torque wrench at Harbor Freight, already had a foot to pounds one. My leg does rest against the filter but is not in the way of the break pedal.

tba63 (04-06-2024)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?