2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 11:21 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Well Great news is that they aren't totaling my bike and are paying out to have it repaired!
Cost of replacement for my bike is a lot higher than the repair even with a replacement frame. That be the "harleys hold their value" playing into my favor.

Bad news is that the painter who was able to restore CVO paint jobs with touch ups retired so I got to find a paint shop that will do a touch up of the tank paint damage. Or Ill have to grab some pin striping brushes and try to match up paint and do a touch up myself.
Any suggestions for a motorcycle painter in the PNW who might be able to help would be awesome. I'd be more than willing to put down 700~1000$ to fix the paint chips instead of getting a whole new tank painted and what not.

Just gotta coordinate with the shop to get them to repair what I don't want to work on and rebuild the rest of the bike back myself.
The frame needs to be replaced??? How bad was that wreck?

Old 12-21-2023, 12:57 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

Well Great news is that they aren't totaling my bike and are paying out to have it repaired!
Cost of replacement for my bike is a lot higher than the repair even with a replacement frame. That be the "harleys hold their value" playing into my favor.

Bad news is that the painter who was able to restore CVO paint jobs with touch ups retired so I got to find a paint shop that will do a touch up of the tank paint damage. Or Ill have to grab some pin striping brushes and try to match up paint and do a touch up myself.
Any suggestions for a motorcycle painter in the PNW who might be able to help would be awesome. I'd be more than willing to put down 700~1000$ to fix the paint chips instead of getting a whole new tank painted and what not.

Just gotta coordinate with the shop to get them to repair what I don't want to work on and rebuild the rest of the bike back myself.
You get hurt?

Old 12-21-2023, 01:59 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
The frame needs to be replaced??? How bad was that wreck?
No frame doesnt need to be replaced, the ding on the frame is a tiny little dent about the size of a dime where the crash bar contacted the frame.
But Insurance is insisting that they would need to replace it for "Safety" reasons. Master tech at the shop says it's fine and a waste of time.
I agree with the shop.
This is one of those situations like where a bike had a highway bar on it and it bent the mounting tab when they crashed. But otherwise the frame is undamaged.
But because the frame is "Damaged" insurance wants to replace the frame. We all know that's horse ****, that a engine guard tab isn't going to compromise the frame.

Hell even the insurance agent who was talking to me said I could just skip replacing the frame so I could get the paint repaired. So even he knows the frame ding isn't worth a replacement.
And the wreck wasn't even that bad. Bike just high sided because the rear tire slipped out, and bike threw me off it when it flipped. Most of the damage is just superficial stuff.
Paint damage was what's worrying me the most, I wanna find someone in the area that could handle doing a "Close enough" touch up job.

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
You get hurt?
Just a busted lip.
I was wearing full gear with a fullface helmet.
I walked away from the crash just fine. Infact I rode the bike home, lol.
I was injured worse on my Emoto(high power ebike I built) that I crashed in Dec 2019. I have no memory of that one, but I also rode the bike home after they released me from the hospital.
Both accidents happened on a wet ****ing road so I think I need to learn to be way more timid and afraid of wet road.

The only lasting "damage" or however you'd call it is that I keep seeing the accident over and over in my head and it's emotionally screwing with me.

Old 12-21-2023, 03:45 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

@FranBunnyFFXII
Good, thx for update. Get the head relaxed.

Good luck with insurance battle.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:18 PM
coopmonte
Road Captain
Received 203 Likes on 149 Posts

There is a guy down in Tacoma that does excellent work, fixed some chips in my buddy's Blue Steel CVO, I'll have to track down his information if you're not in a super rush. There is also a buddy of mine in Fife that has done the work for five of the local HD's over the years and painted a few of my bikes. I'll have to call him as I think he retired from that work, but he will still paint my bike soon. If you have until after Christmas I'll try to run that information down.

The following users liked this post:
FranBunnyFFXII (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 09:30 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by coopmonte
There is a guy down in Tacoma that does excellent work, fixed some chips in my buddy's Blue Steel CVO, I'll have to track down his information if you're not in a super rush. There is also a buddy of mine in Fife that has done the work for five of the local HD's over the years and painted a few of my bikes. I'll have to call him as I think he retired from that work, but he will still paint my bike soon. If you have until after Christmas I'll try to run that information down.
That would be awesome.
I'd be more than willing to pay 700~1000$+ to get the chips fixed. Well worth it to me to get that paint restored.

Old 12-22-2023, 12:16 AM
coopmonte
Road Captain
Received 203 Likes on 149 Posts

I'll look into it right after Christmas and let you know via PM.

FranBunnyFFXII (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 02:54 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts

The only lasting "damage" or however you'd call it is that I keep seeing the accident over and over in my head and it's emotionally screwing with me.
riding again will cure you, I'm sure..
I hope you quickly find your bearings and that you can rebuild your bike as beautiful as it was

Old 12-22-2023, 10:20 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
riding again will cure you, I'm sure..
I hope you quickly find your bearings and that you can rebuild your bike as beautiful as it was
WHAT, the bearings fell out too?????????

Just kidding

tngarren (12-27-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 11:47 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Snuck in a quick Xmas Eve ride around town to get the Stabil settled in. Washed, and tucked away for the long winter ahead

The following 2 users liked this post by RGS88:
RichM752 (12-24-2023), tba63 (12-28-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?