2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 08:18 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
Great job Fran.
Yes those top nuts on the forks are a PITA to fit.
I'll be very interested to get your feedback on the ride quality.
I already have the Progressive Suspension drop-in fork lowering kit (2" preload spacer) fitted but also have bought the RICOR/DK Custom 49mm Intiminator Valves ready to fit.
(Just need to get some 10wt Fork Oil).
I can't really comment on the ride quality aspect because we're going in opposite directions and our end goals are rather different, so my perception of the ride quality will be different than yours.
I've lifted my bike up, you're lowering yours down.
So far from what it seems with 2 people on the bike, as I have not ridden solo with it yet since my BF was here visiting until a few hours ago, it seems to be quite good at taking up bumps, and keeping the tire in contact with the ground after a disturbance/dip in the road in a corner.
The biggest difference so far however has been the brake dive. They front end brake dives still but it's slower and progressive, instead of fast. This is actually going to be great for trailbraking into turns because when it comes to loading the front tire with trail braking, Progressive movements are better than abrupt movements on a motorcycle.
Once those progressive coils are maxed and the linear segment takes over, the Intiminators slow the brake dive and make it smooth and easy.

I will tell you this right now. DO NOT use the preload spacer length in the instructions in the progressive kit with the Intiminators in the forks.
Make sure you cut a preload spacer that is .5inch shorter than the instructions, or the front suspension will be too stiff.

The standard ride height Progressive fork kit spacer length is 2.2inches.
I cut mine to 1.75inch to account for the Intiminator's thickness. I also cut 2inch ones but I do not believe they will be needed.
I'm glad I did 1.75inch because even with 2 people on the bike, basically a maxed out payload, the front feels a bit stiffer than stock and the brake dive is slow and controlled.
If I had done the 2.2inch spacers that would have been FAR too much preload with the intiminators in the forks and the bike would have really overly stiff front end performance.
After riding around with 2 people on the bike with the 1.75inch spacers, I think starting with 1.75+intiminator's .5inch was the best idea.
The 2inch spacers will sit in the box with the stock parts.

My next move for the front end will probably to find a way to get fork cap extensions that will let me drop the fork tubes in the triple trees another 1/4~3/8th of an inch.
I might grab some of those inexpensive knock off preload adjustors off ebay, take them to someone who has a lathe, and have them shave the OD out till it matches the fork tube OD, and use those as extensions.
OG makes 49mm x 1inch extensions, but those are too tall and would leave a lot of cap above the triple tree, which looks ugly. And I don't want the fork sliders having a gap below the cowbells.
The farthest you can lower the fork slider and not fall out of the cowbells is roughly 3/8th of an inch. I'll have to do a proper measurement later, but I want some cap extensions so I can raise the front back up and get even more lean angle.
If I can get another +.25~.35 inch fork length increase that'd be great.
Right now, my fork cap tops are pretty much flush with the edge of the tripletree clamp inner edge.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 10-02-2023 at 08:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Urban Gorilla (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 09:28 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm getting ready to improve the front end on my 2018 Low Rider which would presumably take the same parts as Fran. I've tried modifying the stock springs preload, and various weights of Maxima fork oil, but none of that made a positive difference in the harsh bump hits or wiggle through the bars on bumpy corners. Brake dive has never been bad on this bike. I've had it since new, at around 35,000 miles now. I'm going to look at my fork bushings too.
Question, anyone try the Pro Action kit: springs and damper rods? The approach to damping is a little different. The damper rods are below the dual bending valves, vs the intiminator being above the valves. My thought is that the dual bending valves are the biggest problem causing more high speed damping than what is ideal.
I hope some of you can comment.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:32 AM
ACE_Moto88
Cruiser
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I can't really comment on the ride quality aspect because we're going in opposite directions and our end goals are rather different, so my perception of the ride quality will be different than yours.
So far from what it seems with 2 people on the bike, as I have not ridden solo with it yet since my BF was here visiting until a few hours ago, it seems to be quite good at taking up bumps, and keeping the tire in contact with the ground after a disturbance/dip in the road in a corner.
The biggest difference so far however has been the brake dive. They front end brake dives still but it's slower and progressive, instead of fast. This is actually going to be great for trailbraking into turns because when it comes to loading the front tire with trail braking, Progressive movements are better than abrupt movements on a motorcycle.
Once those progressive coils are maxed and the linear segment takes over, the Intiminators slow the brake dive and make it smooth and easy.

I will tell you this right now. DO NOT use the preload spacer length in the instructions in the progressive kit with the Intiminators in the forks.
Make sure you cut a preload spacer that is .5inch shorter than the instructions, or the front suspension will be too stiff.

I cut mine to 1.75inch to account for the Intiminator's thickness. I also cut 2inch ones but I do not believe they will be needed.
I'm glad I did 1.75inch because even with 2 people on the bike, basically a maxed out payload, the front feels a bit stiffer than stock and the brake dive is slow and controlled.
If I had done the 2.2inch spacers that would have been FAR too much preload with the intiminators in the forks and the bike would have really overly stiff front end performance.
After riding around with 2 people on the bike with the 1.75inch spacers, I think starting with 1.75+intiminator's .5inch was the best idea.

My next move for the front end will probably to find a way to get fork cap extensions that will let me drop the fork tubes in the triple trees another 1/4~3/8th of an inch.
I might grab some of those inexpensive knock off preload adjustors off ebay, take them to someone who has a lathe, and have them shave the OD out till it matches the fork tube OD, and use those as extensions.
OG makes 49mm x 1inch extensions, but those are too tall and would leave a lot of cap above the triple tree, which looks ugly. And I don't want the fork sliders having a gap below the cowbells.
The farthest you can lower the fork slider and not fall out of the cowbells is roughly 3/8th of an inch. I'll have to do a proper measurement later, but I want some cap extensions so I can raise the front back up and get even more lean angle.
If I can get another +.25~.35 inch fork length increase that'd be great.
Right now, my fork cap tops are pretty much flush with the edge of the tripletree clamp inner edge.
Do you have any side profile shots of the bike? Trying to picture a fat boy lifted up and it has certainly piqued my curiosity

Old 10-03-2023, 11:18 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Tozco
I'm getting ready to improve the front end on my 2018 Low Rider which would presumably take the same parts as Fran. I've tried modifying the stock springs preload, and various weights of Maxima fork oil, but none of that made a positive difference in the harsh bump hits or wiggle through the bars on bumpy corners. Brake dive has never been bad on this bike. I've had it since new, at around 35,000 miles now. I'm going to look at my fork bushings too.
Question, anyone try the Pro Action kit: springs and damper rods? The approach to damping is a little different. The damper rods are below the dual bending valves, vs the intiminator being above the valves. My thought is that the dual bending valves are the biggest problem causing more high speed damping than what is ideal.
I hope some of you can comment.
The Intiminators dont replace the DBV, they sit ontop of the damper rod, below the bottom of the fork spring.
Go with a Progressive or Hyperpro Fork Spring kit, and follow the kit's level of oil.
I've never had a problem with my bike's suspension feeling "bad" at all. Even after riding a bunch of other brands bikes with supposedly better suspension, my bike's suspension never felt inadequate or lacking.
The improvements I'm making were about getting a bonus improvement if at all, not trying to fix something that I found wrong or bad.

If I was going to replace stuff in full that isn't just drop in a valve thing and spring, and put it back together, I would go with a full fork Cartridge kit.
The one that I think that I would want to try if I actually would want to go for a fork kit would be Progressive's FST Fork kit.
Messing with anything below the tubes or what not, you're looking at potentially a lot of work and similar amounts of money or a loss when you're eventually going to end up getting a Cart Kit anyways.
Might as well get it over with and swap to a Cart Kit from the get go.

My set of parts was 360$ total plus a 15$ tool. I don't think you can get enough of an improvement out of a fork kit to warrant such an investment in a cart kit unless you have money to burn and are trying to shave a few seconds off at the track.
So I stuck with a budget setup that would give me a better ride for an effective amount of money.
375$ for an improvement and leave it at that. I'm fine with that.

Originally Posted by ACE_Moto88
Do you have any side profile shots of the bike? Trying to picture a fat boy lifted up and it has certainly piqued my curiosity
It's not very noticable.
It's +.33 Inch Ride Height in the front from the 150 Tire over the 160 since the increased Radius of the 150/70 R18 Tire is .33inches
And +1inch? in the rear from the Monoshock going from 12.6inch stock to 13inch FOX Factory shock.
I probably added another 2 or 3mm lowering the forks in the triple trees as low as they can safely go. Which is definitely not something you'll notice either.
The difference you probably wont notice if you arent looking for it.
But I can feel the difference on the bike when out riding with the additional lean angle that came from it.
The difference you might be able to see is probably the little bit of fender gap that showed up from the 13inch shock, Here's 2 pics I've posted before.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 10-03-2023 at 11:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
CryingJoker (10-03-2023), Monteman1971 (10-10-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 11:32 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 907 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Gripfxbbs
Some people enjoy the Harley kool-aid i guess.
Spoken like a guy on a Honda

Old 10-03-2023, 01:37 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII

Thanks Fran.
Yes I'm going lower but it's all good feedback.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:42 PM
Clump
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 55 Posts

Finally got some sound! Cobra RPT slip-ons. Not obnoxious, but a nice bark.

The following 3 users liked this post by Clump:
CryingJoker (10-03-2023), snake_eyes (10-03-2023), Urban Gorilla (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 02:30 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Put the bike back to my 2-up setup and, on Friday morning, got the Bike MOT'd* - passed with flying colours and no adversaries
Worked out that I had done just over 2200 miles in the first year of ownership.

Today, I tidied up and cleared some space in the garage in preparation for doing some modifications - warranty runs out next week.

* The United Kingdom, Ministry Of Transport (MOT) test is an annual inspection that makes sure your vehicle meets environmental and road safety standards. The first test is on the third anniversary of its registration.

Last edited by Urban Gorilla; 10-07-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 06:37 PM
52AllisCA
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

New Nash motorcycle Co punchy bars installed. Much more comfortable than stock

The following users liked this post:
Joshpboston (10-08-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 08:33 PM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Took the bike on the first little distance ride since it's purchase in late August. 450 miles round trip. New bassani pipe will be in Tuesday. And for anyone curious the klockwerks 8" shield works pretty well for me. I'm 5'8 but long legged.

The following 2 users liked this post by CryingJoker:
Durham man (11-20-2023), Joshpboston (10-08-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?