2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 05:12 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Tha_Big_Ohh
Installed 9.5 Thrashin risers and their low bend bars. Speedo extension care of Guerrilla Cables.

Good job on your bike...
i'm not criticising your mods for their qualities, just because it's not my taste, I try to explain...
for me the Softail standard is a cool stripped down bike as the Street Bob, a sort of modern bobber or chopper and I find it more cool with a ape hanger, forwards controls and two pipes...
you choose to give it a club style look and it's your choice and I respect that, but I find that the club style fits better on a Low Rider S for example...
but it's my vision...

Old 09-17-2023, 05:52 AM
Tha_Big_Ohh
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
Good job on your bike...
i'm not criticising your mods for their qualities, just because it's not my taste, I try to explain...
for me the Softail standard is a cool stripped down bike as the Street Bob, a sort of modern bobber or chopper and I find it more cool with a ape hanger, forwards controls and two pipes...
you choose to give it a club style look and it's your choice and I respect that, but I find that the club style fits better on a Low Rider S for example...
but it's my vision...
it originally had apes, factory forwards and dual chrome pipes. After a couple years I decided to do motor work on it. With forwards there was no way to run a high flow intake (knee kept hitting the airbox) and the dual V&H pipes wasn’t giving the same hp/tq I got with running a 2 into 1 so I decided to change the look of the bike after it came off the dyno.
here’s a before photo.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:12 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

was nice, I prefere this version...
but I understand you like to have a sportier bike, and the mods are by this way justified...

Old 09-17-2023, 08:20 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by stormin08
well, finally after 2 weeks...got mine back from the dealer.

caution to the inverted 49mm fork crowd...the coating on the tubes is lacking in my mind. I rode through a wet road right after a rain shower. Maybe 12 miles later, got into the garage and wiped it down (my OCD)...and the fork tubes had blued like a gun barrels.

that coating doesn't hold up to much...must of had some oil from the road being dry for so long.

i also went for a short town ride to try the seat i installed several weeks back and havent gotten to try out,
i went saddleman renegade solo, so far...it is far superior to the stocker.
any problems with your repainted rims? Just thinking it must have been something you rode through, like you said oil from asphalt or something.

Old 09-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Tha_Big_Ohh
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

was nice, I prefere this version...
but I understand you like to have a sportier bike, and the mods are by this way justified...
after engine work and tuning the bike gets up to speed pretty quickly and I’ve had it up to 130mph, at those speeds the apes and added wind drag on the front end would cause wobbling (even with solid riser bushings). The stiffer T style bars and fairing fixed that.
Maybe one day I’ll buy a third bike and commit to another chopper/bobber.

Last edited by Tha_Big_Ohh; 09-17-2023 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:44 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tha_Big_Ohh
after engine work and tuning the bike gets up to speed pretty quickly and I’ve had it up to 130mph, at those speeds the apes and added wind drag on the front end would cause wobbling (even with solid riser bushings). The stiffer T style bars and fairing fixed that.
Maybe one day I’ll buy a third bike and commit to another chopper/bobber.
I think it looks great 👍. For the record big Al’s comments is the way he rolls. His, not for me or not my style comments are always accompanied with an adda boy! 😂 he does it quite often on here. He got me acouple times and many others with the same formula. He is an honest guy. Nothing wrong with that. Definitely opinionated.

Last edited by Durham man; 09-17-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:02 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Durham man
I think it looks great 👍. For the record big Al’s comments is the way he rolls. His, not for me or not my style comments are always accompanied with an adda boy! 😂 he does it quite often on here. He got me acouple times and many others with the same formula. He is an honest guy. Nothing wrong with that. Definitely opinionated.
what does it mean "adda boy" ?
when I say it's not my style, it's just to be correct with you, because I respect everyones opinion and style of mods on their bikes, but I like to give my opinion in a constructive way, it's always interresting to debate about that...
no negative critics from me...

Old 09-17-2023, 01:25 PM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,728 Likes on 891 Posts

when I say it's not my style, it's just to be correct with you, because I respect everyones opinion and style of mods on their bikes, but I like to give my opinion in a constructive way, it's always interresting to debate about that...
It means "hey, if you like it, go for it!" It's a metaphorical slap on the back of encouragement, not criticism.

There's lots of bikes on here that aren't to my tastes at all but it's still interesting to read about them. What people have done and why. And how it's turned out. And even when the overall effect doesn't appeal to me personally, there'll nearly always be some little detail that catches the eye and gives me ideas for my bike. When people have put a lot of time, effort and money into personalising their bikes, all that matters is that they are happy with the result. It would be very boring if we all liked the same things and all rode identical bikes. That's the great thing about Harleys. About the only place you see two exactly alike are on the showroom floor.

Last edited by Gimlet; 09-17-2023 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Durham man (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 01:33 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Gimlet
It means "hey, if you like it, go for it!" It's a metaphorical slap on the back of encouragement, not criticism.
I was sure it was something like that, but I can't always understand these specific expressions
thanks for the answer...

Last edited by Big Al 59; 09-17-2023 at 01:35 PM.
Gimlet (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 02:07 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

what you just typed is what I meant in my post. You have a unique way with your comments. Me I just don’t comment when I don’t share someone’s view. But like gimlet said if everyone did that it would be boring. In other words I said the way you comment is not my style but I said! your honest about it, hence the atta boy with the honestly comment. you taught me some thing. No disrespect intended.

Last edited by Durham man; 09-17-2023 at 03:21 PM.
Big Al 59 (09-18-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?